Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell caddy STS

martinfan5

Yes I am going to go for a stock look with a little bit of sports car thrown in maybe, I need to decide what type of wheels I want to go with, and then finding some that will fit the wheel wells

Here is what I have done so far, still have work do to on the door handels, but its starting to look a little better.

csts.jpg

Here are some of the wheels I am thinking about using

csts1.jpg

csts2.jpg

Edited by martinfan5

I like the wheel on the fron in the 1st pic! Looks right at home on it! Adding the door handels back to it also makes it look better!

Are you going to glue the doors shut?

I have the 300C kit like this and I hate the scissor doors! I am glueing mine shut and am comtemplating giving the doors back their handels.

Jonathon, is this the look you are going for?

STS-V30.jpg

I built this one last year as part of my McNally storyline build project. This kit can be built stock by getting rid of the bling wheels and stereo equipment. I even added a trunk floor with luggage. I am quite sure the same can be accomplished with the Revell "Uptown" 300C kit as well.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of this build.

Edited by mrmike

Well I used the wheels in the frist pic on my ferrari 360, but I think you guys are right that they do look good, so I might just have to order another set.

Mike, yes that's the look Iam going for kind of , did you change the wheel wells on the chassis?.

Yes I did glue the doors shut, I can not stand scissor on cars other then super sports car

Here is where I am at so far

I primed the body, did some sanding to remove mold lines, and to see how the door handles look, not 100% happy with them at the moment , and I painted the on piece chassis

p4-1.jpg

p3-1.jpg

p2-1.jpg

and here is the interior piece , my next step is to remove the speaker ports

p1-1.jpg

Jonathan, I did not change the wheel wells. I trimmed the brakes so I could mount the Pegasus Vantage wheels and tires. On the interior package shelf, remove the entire shelf and make a new one from sheet styrene. I also added strips of styrene to the doors to help close the gaps since this was originally to have been a diecast metal body. Send me a PM if you need more information about my build.

Mike- you gave me an Idea for the trunk area, thanks for the extra work my friend :lol: , I was just going to grind down the speaker ports, but I think I might just do what you said. I was going to use the brakes, but for now I am not sure , it just depends on what wheels I use, None of the wheels I have will fit over them .

Well Agent, doing what you said would fit in some area's of Phoenix though :lol: , couldnt you have had a better flashback :lol:

I don't have another copy of this kit to demonstrate, but I converted the doors on mine to the usual style.

Remove the screw at the scissor hinge so you have the front part of the hinge separate from the door.

Tape the door to the body in the desired position.

Attach the front part of the hinge to the body using the screw and washer.

Put some of your favorite glue on the surfaces where the scissor hinge meets.

Replace the screw on the scissor hinge.

Allow to dry, then remove both screws, and the tape from the door. You should have a normal barely opening door.

Reinforce the side of the hinge that faces the interior with scrap plastic. Pay particular attention to the area between the ex-scissor hinge and the horizontal part of the front hinge.

When that dries, slip the door in place and gently open it. You can see where it contacts the body preventing the door from opening.

Remove the door, and file there.

Test fit and operate the door again.

Repeat until the door opens as far as you dare. If it gets thin, add some more scrap plastic in the appropriate places.

Once your satisfied, finish sand to your standards. The remainder of the car should require no modifications.

Mine open to about 45 degrees - not the 70-80 degrees a regular door opens, but enough to be somewhat realistic.

Interesting note - my spell checker says "favorite" is spelled incorrectly. It recommends "favourite". I'll have to check the language...

I like those wheels, I will see if I can find them, I need to figure out what wheels/tires I am going to use soon.

Here

Here is what I decided to do, remove the rear wheel wells and make new ones, its not the best work, but it looks better to me anyways , and I remove the rear shelf tray and made a new one

p3-2.jpg

p2-2.jpg

p1-2.jpg

p4-2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Decided to get back work on this one, still deciding on a body color, but its now sitting on all four, the underside is ugly, but its getting the job done. I think I may repaint the wheels . The interior work is not my best work, I used testor flocking powder and thats a mistake I wont make again

c4.jpg

c3.jpg

c2.jpg

c1.jpg