Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC '69 Daytona....anyone got one?

n8dogginz

Just looked through my stash and the only chassis that arent already spoken for are from 2 impalas, both are too wide. Ive got a great candidate from a lowrider El Camino but we'll see, still throwing ideas around. And for you guys that said you do have pics post em up! If thats not a burden too anyone.. i seen this kit and needed it(also hobbylobby had 30% off so it was like 12 bucks) and i AM going to stand by it, so inspirate me!!

I built this one 20- 25 years ago when it was the only 69 Daytona offered. It may not be the best kit but building it will improve your modeling skills. The Revell kit is awesome I agree but lets not discourage someone from building the kit if they allready have it.

DAYTONA01A.jpg

DAYTONA01B.jpg

BTW here is my 69 Charger 500 too.

69CHARG500AA.jpg

Both of these are built box stock.

I built one of these about 4 years ago. IIRC, it was the J/L issue w/ Diecast car K-B had for $2.00 before they went under.

MY GOD IT WAS HORRIBLE!!!!!

Nothing fit at all!; the sloppy ased nosepiece and shoddy decals were the worst parts of the kit. My dad made me get it for the J/L diecast car being they go for almost $8.00 new. (and he's a big collector of them, along with hot wheels and matchbox)

However, with some creatative thinking, I was able to MAKE something halfway stellar out of it by simply discarding most of it's contents, aside from the body, body parts, and interior; and using the frame from the Revell '69 Charger and engine compartment from the '68 GTX. Along with combineing two Mitsubishi Eclipse 4-bangers to make some crazy DOHC V8, but failed at it.

Oh boy, did it need alot of smoothing and filling out!!! This one was my first experience using putty and while the results were mediocer, it did look better than it did just slapping the parts on like the boxart car has.

Unfortunitly, I messed up the paint while applying some gloppy metallic purple, so I took some paint thinner to it. While it was very effective, it melted the body because I found out the hard way paint thinner is too powerfull on styrene. So I scraped the rest and used some of the parts on later projects.

I built one stock back when they came out in the '80s...picked up another one when it was reissued in the '00s, haven't built that one yet, but am thinking of building a phantom Daytona convertible like I saw in a Mopar magazine recently. Have a couple of the Revell ones also, which are better, but I like the old MPCs as well.

Here is my "work on progress" MPC body based NASCAR Daytona.....almost 8 years now!!!...it have not been clear coated or paint flaws corrected or final fitting and fabrication of parts been made. I used a AMT Roadrunner chassis with some modifications for this car. The wheels and tires are from Polar Lights NASCAR Torino. The back wing have not been worked,painted or fitted yet.

025-vi.jpg

026-vi.jpg

027-vi.jpg

Edited by Plasticfanatic

Yes, The 71 K&K Insurance car!!!

I have a couple from way back when!

It used the interior tub & chassis from the Annual. it was issued Before the

nascar series with the 2 piece adjustable wheelbase chassis.

The kit was molded in red * came with Hollow wide tires in back & G70 Custom Widetread's front.

Though nascar always had same size tires front & rear

MPC did two different race Daytona model kits. There were two different boxes on the #71 K&K kit....based off a stock Charger with a gutted interior. The second Race Daytona was the Richard Brooks (Allison) #22 kit. It was a reworked body with added grille and NASCAR details and the 'H&M' type race chassis. Ertl kinda butchered the Daytona body into the various 69 Charger kits like F&F etc.