Model Cars Magazine Forum

My Class of 2011, in two parts, with footnotes....What? You have to expect that from me.

Peter Lombardo

When I thought about my completed cars for 2011, I figured that I didn’t complete that many…..at least that was the way the year seemed to me. The summer was all screwed up this year because my wife broke her right leg on July 1st, and that meant that I spent a lot of time looking after her needs. But after looking back over my builds I found that I completed more than I thought. In total I completed 10.8 cars………..I count my Norman E. Timbs Streamliner as a .8 completion because basically it is done, just waiting for the photo etch parts for final assembly.

So here are the first 5, totally completed cars.

1. First up is my Chrysler 300EX Concept. This was a vacuum formed body that I designed. The driver single door has a lambo style hinge and the passenger double door is a gullwing. The rear seat is a curved couch and the front passenger seat swivels around to face the rear area compartment. The vehicle is electric for its main power and has a 4 cylinder gasoline backup motor to run a generator for extended range, ala Chevy Volt. On the roof there are solar panels to run fans and help recharge the batteries when parked.

5538660246_bab14cbddb.jpg

2. Next up is a whimsical (fantasy racer) GT3 Ford GT in Red Bull livery. I modified the street Ford GT (rough kit) and opened up the front and rear hoods and doors. Made the body modifications for the wheel bulges and spoilers. The decals are custom made on the computer and printed onto decal paper.

5495726858_c8c49a9c69.jpg

3. This is also a fantasy GT3 race car. This started life as a street Corvette ZR1. The body was modified with wheel bulges and lower body spoilers and a rear wing. The doors were opened and the decals on this one were also custom made on the computer and printed on decal paper. This is done in Monster Energy drink colors with Mopar black over House of Kolor Lime Green Pearl.

5495134235_8cc0d6b107.jpg

4. Continuing with race cars, this is a Ferrari 312T from 1975 (if I remember correctly)…back in the late 1970’s I built this car in 1/12 scale but gave it away. This is the new(ish) Hasegawa 1/20 scale kit with a Tamiya driver figure, in this case done up as Niki Lauda behind the wheel. I also used the photo etch detail kit for this car.

5677403905_412b4cdea0.jpg

5. Making it’s forum début, this is the Tamiya Ferrari F40 Competizione 1993 Monte Shell…..The only modifications here are I opened and hinged the doors and added hoses and wires. The kit comes with a fret of photo etched parts which I installed. It is painted Viper yellow on the bottom and appliance white on top with the red done in really nice Cartograf decals that came with the kit. Every now and again, I like a Ferrari that is not all red….you know?

6507825111_9a44a5e2a3.jpg

Picking up where the last left off, this is…………

6. This is a 1962 Chevrolet Bel Air Resto-Mod coupe powered by a Corvette V8. The doors were opened and hinged and the body rides on a stretched Corvette chassis. The interior is a modified and elongated Corvette unit with an old Firebird rear seat. The engine includes the addition of twin inter-cooled turbos made from solder and attached to all the necessary plumbing. The car is a two tone of Prowler silver over a custom mix of Jacquard pearl powders of light greens, blue pearl with clear to make a pale turquoise. The striping is done with vinyl cut into very thin strips.

5382206710_aae0cf59d1.jpg

7. This started life as a 1936 Ford 5 window coupe kit. This was completely modified into a roadster. The doors, trunk and hood are all opened and hinged. The hood opens side to side with the hinge down the middle. The interior is finished with real leather and cloth. The top is from the Testers Coupster kit. The headlights are obviously Prowler units grafted on to the hood. The wheels and tires came form a snap kit of the Dodge Copperhead painted to match the car. The paint is a two tone of GM Beige and Mopar Chargold topped with clear. Under the hood is a Ford small block 289 with 6 deuces all plumbed up.

5336697907_800f67b663.jpg

8. Back to a couple of race cars. This is the Fujimi Porsche 911GT3R Hatsune MIKU. This is basically box stock except for the seat belts inside. I loved the livery on this car when I first saw it and had to build one for my collection. No joke, the decals were a bear to do, but I love the colors……I have on order the companion BMW Z4 race car in a similar scheme due this spring.

6065419787_dee1825761.jpg

9. Last of this years race cars, this is the Sting Ray Grand Sport from Accurate Miniatures. This is the third one I have completed; I did a coupe and a roadster version prior to this one. As you can see much of the inspiration to do this cam from the magazine story below the model. I opened the doors and trunk on this one and added the hoses and as much detail as I could see from the photos. The paint is Model Master Acryl Artic Blue that I lightened up with some additional silver over Pure White lacquer. I did not use the kit supplied decals for the red pin stripe between the colors, but opted to cut very thin strips of red vinyl and lay that over the paint break.

6266247716_832f303498.jpg

10. And finally, this is a Revell 1956 Chevrolet Nomad wagon. I gave the top a mild chop and repositioned the front windshield to have lower rake and more angle. I opened the doors and hinged them. The interior and motor were updated and I added a set of late model Corvette wheels and tires. The car is painted Model Master Napoleonic Violet over Camouflage Grey (off white, really), bare metal foil and clear top coat.

5677388267_889f6a81af.jpg

That is it, with the exception of 8 tenths of the Timbs Streamliner. Thanks for looking, and remember comments, up or down, are always welcome, some more than others, but welcome just the same.

Great lineup this year. As impressive as your recent vacuformed scratch builds have been - and they are superb, it's worth a look back to be reminded how versatile and broad your palette can be. Your race car builds are always a favorite of mine - you handle the graphics and detail so well on them. But, remarkably, I only remember seeing about half of them this past year. I'll have to go back and look them up...

Edited by Bernard Kron