Model Cars Magazine Forum

I am VERY angry with Revell's lazyness rightnow.

do a search in the workbench section, i know i have seen someone build a previous incarnation of this kit and do just that

just like anything else we do, its possible

That would be Me Eelco, started with the same kit, used some stuff from the old Revell HotRod issue '75 Chevy and a lot of scratchbuilt/parts box stuff.

GEDC0964.jpg

GEDC0324.jpg

GEDC0331.jpg

Need to get around to finishing mine.

Nick

For what it's worth, someone here about three years ago had one of the ORIGIONAL kits . He took the molded engine and cut it out . It was replaced by a Big Block 454. He too made a decent wrecker out of what he had . Meanwhile . I had a 77 Model G MC , myself with a home made bed and an electric winch on it . It was small block powered as were most wreckers in that era . So , Christian , uh not every wrecker had large block gas engines in them . I was building some wreckers for both Holmes and Centry . Most , if not all were inded small block powered .

This much I can tell some of ya to reinforce my story, a Big Block gas job dosen't always equate to a great wrecker . I owned a 89 Ford with a 460 in it . It passed everything cept a gasoline station ! In fact , the conventional wrecker I had , a 1979 had a 351 in it . it did everything the 460 did and then some , so displacement aint everything in the towing business ! Ed Shaver

For what it's worth, someone here about three years ago had one of the ORIGIONAL kits . He took the molded engine and cut it out . It was replaced by a Big Block 454. He too made a decent wrecker out of what he had . Meanwhile . I had a 77 Model G MC , myself with a home made bed and an electric winch on it . It was small block powered as were most wreckers in that era . So , Christian , uh not every wrecker had large block gas engines in them . I was building some wreckers for both Holmes and Centry . Most , if not all were inded small block powered .

This much I can tell some of ya to reinforce my story, a Big Block gas job dosen't always equate to a great wrecker . I owned a 89 Ford with a 460 in it . It passed everything cept a gasoline station ! In fact , the conventional wrecker I had , a 1979 had a 351 in it . it did everything the 460 did and then some , so displacement aint everything in the towing business ! Ed Shaver

Of course, the sensible thing in real life would be a turbodiesel.

Back in the Eighties, we had a C30 3+3 Camper Special Dually with a 350 sbc to haul around our three axle tag-along trailer with the fuel funnycar inside. The entire rig tipped the scales at a cool eight long tons, genuine heavy metal. When we passed the Alps to go to a race at Zeltweg in Austria, this sucked no small time, lemme tellya.

But this is a model and it hence needs a monster 454 rat, complete with two four-throat kraftwerks. Sod the ozone hole in 1:25.

Edited by Junkman

Give him a break guys, ..he's a kid.probably spent money on something he has come to expect from Revell and was disappointed. Plus it probably cost almost 25 bucks, not like when we were kids when they were cheap and on every drug store toy department shelf....

I remember when NICK used that.....Look at this beauty!!

GEDC0964.jpg

Edited by MikeMc

Yeah, prolly burns because of the fact it costed ya almost $30 and it's a snapper w/ a half engine.

I'd cut that shat out, throw in a 454 w/a blower or some crazy F/I setup, and you'll get ya cash worth with som crazy, fast ased lokin wrecker.

This is parta the hobby, if it's not perfect, do somethin about it!

This thread does show how far Revell has come as far as product improvement from the 90s up-

Anyone familiar with their offerings through the 80s (like this kit) would have much lower expectations

I still remember trying to build a the 70s lavender "Low Rider" edition '57 with non toxic "Sniff- Proof" brand cement as an 8 year old back in the day

This thread does show how far Revell has come as far as product improvement from the 90s up-

Anyone familiar with their offerings through the 80s (like this kit) would have much lower expectations

I still remember trying to build a the 70s lavender "Low Rider" edition '57 with non toxic "Sniff- Proof" brand cement as an 8 year old back in the day

Yeah, I remember when I was a kid Revell kits were the worst..the ones to avoid. One of the first kits I built--the first 1:25th scale glue kit, IIRC---as a 7-yr old was the late '70s issue of the '56 Chevy w/ opening doors, trunk, etc...was a pain to put together, molded in an ugly green. Then I remember the some Mustang and Firebird kits from '79-80 or so that had weird squishy tires and poor engine and interior detailing... I didn't really get into Revell kits until the late '80s after they acquired Monogram and started putting out some new tooling.

Edited by Rob Hall

That would be Me Eelco, started with the same kit, used some stuff from the old Revell HotRod issue '75 Chevy and a lot of scratchbuilt/parts box stuff.

GEDC0964.jpg

Nick

oh wow Nick, that looks NOTHING like the box

lol

not sure if yours was the one i had in mind

i distinctly remember it being molded in blue though

if that fits your model then it probably was :)

Small block in a 6k lb tow truck? Not. Whenever you saw one of these beasts in the wild, it almost always had a 454 in it.

-MJS

Maybe if it was a 2wd. 4x4 GM 1 tons didn't have a big block option until '81. I've seen plenty of them, both 2 and 4 wheel drive with smallblocks, either a 350 or 400, depending on year, and even a few with a 292 inline 6.

Give him a break guys, he's a kid...probably spent money on something he has come to expect from Revell and was disappointed. Plus it probably cost almost 25 bucks, not like when we were kids when they were cheap and on every drug store toy department shelf....

I just looked at the price while at work, they want $26.99 for that kit.............Too friggin' much if you ask me!

oh wow Nick, that looks NOTHING like the box

lol

not sure if yours was the one i had in mind

i distinctly remember it being molded in blue though

if that fits your model then it probably was :)

Nope it was molded in Orange.

Maybe if it was a 2wd. 4x4 GM 1 tons didn't have a big block option until '81. I've seen plenty of them, both 2 and 4 wheel drive with smallblocks, either a 350 or 400, depending on year, and even a few with a 292 inline 6.

That's why my truck being 4WD has a 350 Small Block.

Nick

I'm doing the same thing, cutting out the "engine" as well as the underside with the molded in exhaust. I'm building up a nice NASCAR spec GM 358ci out of an older AMT NASCAR kit. Going to build a custom grille and I'm using a set of wheels from the 1/32 Revell Ford Aeromax semi kit, since they fit perfectly in the kit tires and give it that heavy duty look (10 bolt hubs). She's gonna be getting a custom flatbed with fifth wheel in order to haul my Galaxy tri-axle trailer. B)