Model Cars Magazine Forum

VW Drag Van

I took a Type 2 Delivery Van 1967 Hasegawa did a 4" scale chop. The VW emblem is molded to the body so I cut out an air vent between the letters. took an Allison engine for power and an old Vandel exhaust tips. I went with the Tamiya clear on the chrome and use the parachute rear drive train and cage from a shoe box racer. I did photo-etch wheels and sanded the tires. Shabo dry transfer on the tires.

VWVAN34R.jpg

VWVANBO.jpg

i don't know if you know or not but there was a guy in hawaii that had one of these and used it for a daily driver and bracket racer. i can't think of his name but he built the '32 ford sedan "Big Al" back in the '60's that had an allison inside and his head stuck out of the rear of the chopped roof. i used to have quite a few of these and always wanted to build one with a v6 in the middle but never did. i guess now i could build a model of one though. great looking build by the way.

Cool Van! Plenty of room for that motor! The guy that Flathead Gary is thinking about is Jim Lytle. He also built several Allison engined show cars including an Allison powered Isetta called Al-Setta and one with four Allisons and a toplino body on the back.

yea thats the guy. i was about 13 at the time and i was at a gas station in westminster in orang county around '61 and i looked across this field about a couple acres at this car in the driveway. i could tell it was chopped but that was all. so i went over to it and it turned out to be "big al". just seating there in the driveway. this was about 6:00 am so there was nobody around to ask about it so i just left. i seen it run at lions drag strip a few times. it wasn't all that fast off the line but it got moving real fast pretty quick. well, i don't want this to turn into a hijacking so i will shut up now.

Big Al and Quad Al wound up in the collection of Tex Collins, aka the wrangler on the tv series Rawhide. I was involved with him in the early seventies, making fiberglass t bucket bodies for him, just before he got his head blown off. Don't know what happened to the cars after that. Anyone know?

• 4 weeks later...
i don't know if you know or not but there was a guy in hawaii that had one of these and used it for a daily driver and bracket racer. i can't think of his name but he built the '32 ford sedan "Big Al" back in the '60's that had an allison inside and his head stuck out of the rear of the chopped roof. i used to have quite a few of these and always wanted to build one with a v6 in the middle but never did. i guess now i could build a model of one though. great looking build by the way.
April 1967 Rod and Custom did aspread on an Allison power BMW ISETTA , called ALSETTA saw it run once at national Speedway on Long Island WOW!!!!!!!! Paul Cheshire

allisettaemailcopy6ba.jpg

Hey Gilusions--

Nice job on the van :D:D I just got these pictures down loaded from the car show this past weekend. This is a 1960 VW that has been shortened just a wee bit :lol::lol::lol: It's also been tubbed with wheelie bars on the back. A gentleman told me that this van is difficult to drive due to the short wheelbase (go figure). Do you think you would like to try and build this in scale ?? By the way, my kids loved this one the best :D:lol::lol:

STEVES_CARS_028_2.jpg

STEVES_CARS_029_2.jpg

STEVE

• 1 month later...
Hey Gilusions--

Nice job on the van :D:D I just got these pictures down loaded from the car show this past weekend. This is a 1960 VW that has been shortened just a wee bit :D:D:P It's also been tubbed with wheelie bars on the back. A gentleman told me that this van is difficult to drive due to the short wheelbase (go figure). Do you think you would like to try and build this in scale ?? By the way, my kids loved this one the best :lol::lol::lol:

STEVES_CARS_028_2.jpg

STEVES_CARS_029_2.jpg

STEVE

I love it!!!! I do have a real 76 bus but it is a bay window. Bummer