Model Cars Magazine Forum

How do you paint and detail one piece interiors?

Hey Gang,

How do you handle the one piece interior tubs? I just can't seem to get the right angle for painting, foiling trim and handles, etc. I was thinking just cutting would be good, have you done this on your models? Do you think it is better to cut lengthwise (which was my thought) or do you think cutting the side panels off where they meet the floor is better? Or, should I just keep spraying them black? :lol: Which seems to work if you don't want anything to be seen.....

Appreciate any tips and especially pictures of your work, and I want to thank in advance anyone who cares to respond. Thanks!!

Mike

I generally don't have problems assuming the front seats aren't molded in. If they are molded in, they generally look like garbage anyway and I remove and replace them (cutting from the underside of the tub). If door panels are giving you issues, then cut the door panels out carefully, do your detailing and then glue them back in. The gaps from the cutting are supposed to be there anyway so no harm, no foul.

I cut mine off lengthways Mike. That's the easiest way for me to do them. You also won't loose any height on your door panels. Here'a a photo of a '61 Comet interior that I hacked up. It was a one piece with the front seat molded in also. I replaced the floorpan with one from a '64 Fairlane.

012-8.jpg

Here's one of it dry fit back together

009-11.jpg