Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Ford Galaxie 500

Erik Smith

Erik - Your build, very nice!

B)

Yikes!

WHAT were they thinking?

Ugh. :wacko:

I agree, unfortunately this color scheme ran from the early 70's through the 80's... The finally went to traditional black and whites and now they are changing to a straight black car to cut cost. It is cheaper to have the solid colored cars because the second colors are outsourced...

Great job....Eric......Your '70 Galaxie 500 Color's look just right for that Era......And the solid white letter Tires and stock rim's with the "Dog bowl" hubcap's.....Remember them well, I do.......Your interior is done nicely for the time period as well....... :)

.CovairJim.....Rob is right,,,,It is indeed a Galaxie and not a Custom 500....My mother owned a 4-door '70 Custom 500....Was the car I learned to drive in and was the car I used to get my Driver's License with......Was Medium Green with a Green Vinyl Top....With a two tone green interior...The little 302 it had under the hood would do the 120 on the speedometer,,If'n the stretch of road was long enough...... :D

MOE.

It's a Galaxie 500..has a lot more trim than a Custom 500 had. Says "Galaxie 500" on the decklid also....what a real police department would have bought 40 years ago doesn't have anything to do with AMT's choice back then. I've built a few of these kits, my biggest beef with them was the engine--AMT put a Boss 429 in this kit, which is wrong...

Anyway, sharp build..like the color combination.

Thanks, Rob. I stand corrected. I'll have to change the model designation on MY model now! :unsure:

Very nice looking model!!!!

Love the color combo! especially the brown! What paint did you use? I have a project I want to paint a root beer brown and your color is exactly what I am looking for!

Colors are Duplicolor - Santa Fe Tan and Cordova Brown Metallic

(BTW - Isn't it a Custom 500, not a Galaxie 500? I haven't seen the box since I built up an original release of this kit in the 70's, so I don't recall for sure. It just seems to me - a Chevy guy, not a Ford guy - that it doesn't have all the trim that a Galaxie 500 would have. Besides, wouldn't your typical Police department have trouble justifying the added expense for the higher-line car? Just asking... :unsure: )

I am no expert on Fords. If you know 2 things, that would be twice as much as me. Researching the car I found there are some problems with the model, but overall, it is pretty close. The taillight area needs a little attention, the interior is not close (as far as I could tell with Google searches), and I think the top part of the front grill is actually attached to the hood - correct?

Anyway - thanks for the comments! I appreciate it.

Colors are Duplicolor - Santa Fe Tan and Cordova Brown Metallic

I am no expert on Fords. If you know 2 things, that would be twice as much as me. Researching the car I found there are some problems with the model, but overall, it is pretty close. The taillight area needs a little attention, the interior is not close (as far as I could tell with Google searches), and I think the top part of the front grill is actually attached to the hood - correct?

Anyway - thanks for the comments! I appreciate it.

Yes, the top of the grille is actually attached to the hood on the 1:1...and I believe it being chrome/bright is a Galaxie 500-specific trim piece..wasn't there on the Customs that I've seen pics of..

• 1 year later...