Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell Tony Nancy 22 Jr Dragster/Roadster

regular guy

these frames look close to Dragmaster's frame

but Tony Nancy's were made by special frame builder

i just caught on that the reissue slick's are the same name Dragmaster

i guess they were a big mailorder place you could get everything to build a dragster

here's pic of one with 348 and your name is 409. small world

post-8967-0-93627900-1324657828_thumb.jp

Tony Nancy's 22Jr is not a Dragmaster frame nor even close. The 22Jr is a Fuller chassis by Kent Fuller. If you'd like to learn a little about dragster chassis'...click on the link below for some great info prepared by Roger "Riceman" Lee. Riceman is one of the most knowledgable guys you will ever meet or know when it comes to front engined dragsters! He put together quite a little synopsis for us on the Straight Line Modelers List. The chassis we are talking about is the first one at the top of the page. Hope this helps you! ;)

http://www.straightlinemodeler.org/rice.html

terry

my post says 'close to' and did say special shop

if someone one want's to learn something they can

see the evolution towards longer frames

right in the nancy kit

i would say the buick powered roadster ( top kit ) is earlier

and shorter

the dragmaster is interesting as selling reasonable price dragster stuff then

closest thing we have now is Speedway Motors

you can get enough stuff there for dragster but you

have to scare up your own frame

happy holidays!

post-8967-0-24297100-1324679079_thumb.jp

Edited by regular guy

I don't know of any "current" kit with a Dragmaster frame. The old Sanitary T and Mooneyes Double Dragster kit had one in the Mooneyes kit. And the old Revell Parts Pack's had a Dragmaster chassis. You can sometimes find them on evilbay... I believe these are the only two sources for the dragmaster chassis. See here.... http://www.straightlinemodeler.org/skip.html

nick

it's two kits in one

not build either version you get TWO complete dragster

they call one 'roadster' and the other one 'dragster'

this kit is super historical/educational !

and just darn interesting!

I already know that it's a "double kit" Bob and I may pick up one or two more as I already have the kit. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

The Rodder's Journal issue # 41 (Fall 2008) had an extensive article on Tony Nancy and his cars. The number 22 has two tales. According to Tony, he worked on 22 roadsters. His friend and author of a book about him said Tony got the number from the date of his Marine Corp discharge. The 'Jr' according to Tony was because he was a Jr named after his father. I thought I also read that after his original number 22, he didn't want to use another number, so he named every car after the first one, Jr.

The Rodder's Journal issue # 41 (Fall 2008) had an extensive article on Tony Nancy and his cars. The number 22 has two tales. According to Tony, he worked on 22 roadsters. His friend and author of a book about him said Tony got the number from the date of his Marine Corp discharge. The 'Jr' according to Tony was because he was a Jr named after his father. I thought I also read that after his original number 22, he didn't want to use another number, so he named every car after the first one, Jr.

Thanks Ted. Just goes to show you never finish reading those great Rodders Journals.Gotta dig that one out again. Thanks.

The 22 jr. comes from Tony's original 32 Ford roadster ( I think it was a 32 ), that was run in the old NHRA roadster classes.

The 22 JR roadster was a fibergalss '23 T body mounted on a Kent Fuller chassis. You're right about it running in the A/MR roadster class. His competitors called him a cheater because his car had a dragster style tube chassis. It started off with a blown 450 ci Buick Nailhead and later went to a blown Chrysler wedge. This info came from the same Rodder's Journal article. One of his first street cars was a '29 Ford turtle-deck roadster and it's interesting that he picked this same body style for his A/Modified dragster. edit - The kit has the nailhead engine.

Edited by TedsModeling