Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Gumball Rally- GUMBALL HAS STARTED

Nick Winter

OK guys, count me in. Even though I'm running the Cannonball Run I figured I could build something else at the same time for the Gumball Rally. I've had the idea for this build for a long time and this is the perfect place for it. Here is my Dodge Shelby Charger, I thought it was an 85 but when I pulled it out I have 84 written on the box. I'll be combinding parts from 2 kits. Plans call for use of the 2.2L engine, though I will probably add a larger turbo and an intercooler.....and maybe a few surprises.

014-8.jpg

013-8.jpg

Let me see what I can find in my array of kits.

" we could always do a black Trans Am. nah, been done before" JJ Mcclur

Tim

Well how about an ambulance or a military staff car? But don t in that case forget to include HIM in the build :)

Ok I painted the Camaro engine block gloss red. Next needs to paint some other parts, and look if TunnerRam manifold fits with this engine. I did some bodywork too, and hopefully I can primer this thing soon.

Looks like the engine needs another coat of paint, though.

P1130185.jpg

P1130186.jpg

Edited by W-409

Let me give you guys an idea of where this Shelby Charger is going.....I cut up the chassis of the kit years ago, I also started scratchbuilding a new frame for it. I think what I'm gonna do now is something halfway inbetween the two. In the first pic you can see the cut up chassis' front subframe and the old scratchbuilt frame.

001-39.jpg

In this pic I placed a stock chassis from a different kit just for compairison.

002-36.jpg

What could he have in mind ????

I started work on the Charger today, this is my first 1/16 scale build so bare with me, This build will be in the Big Boys section too as well as in Nick Winters Gumball Rally and featured in a slew of video updates on YouTube. My paint color of choice will be Burnished Red mixed by my Mopar Dealer and sprayed thru my airbrush.

product.jpg

Today, I managed to get the engine block halves glued :lol:

If you don't mine me asking Tony, what wheels/ Tires are in the kit? been wanting the same kit for a while, but have been hesitant buying it.

Nick

I'll get a picture next time I get to the bench with the camera...holllow tires that are wider than on the box art and 8 spoke wheels.

and dont forget..

whatsa behind you..is not important!

First Rule of Italian Driving: What's happening behind you is not important!

That's the way, I remember it. :lol:

When looking, how some of the Italians drive, that seems to be true.

Edited by W-409

What the heck. I have until the end of the year, right? I hope to have a new air conditioner in my attic/workroom by spring so I can work through the summer this year instead of putting my models on hold for about half the year, so I'm going to commit to this thing with a mid-engined, V-8 powered Corvair coupe.

Count me in and EAT MY DUST! :):lol::D:P;)

My entry: '69 Ford Falcon XT GT (yep an Aussie car so watch out boys)

000_3966.jpg

000_3967.jpg

000_3968.jpg

Although power should be a 302 it will get a 351 mustang motor along with the Mustang floor pan and part interior the rest is all Aussie.

Dingo5162 (not to be confused with Dingo although I am the same person) B)

Edited by Dingo5162

With the recent completion of my Hudson Hornet I have started my build for this.

It is an mpc kit. It's pretty nice and has two motor options, even though the instructions only have a call out for one. The other one looks like it would go into the 68 dodge dart.

And where I am starting...

ec286c03.jpg

1e2700fa.jpg

And my super strength super hero holding the motor as it dries. I am planning on box stock with this kit.

7174867f.jpg