Model Cars Magazine Forum

What car was used in the 1987 dragnet movie

Hi guys & gelz.

Just want to say a very merry Christmas?to you all,from me here in the UK.??

Ok could any please tell me what car was it in the 1987 movie dragnet.

I know it's a ford,but don't know the model type.

Also is there a kit version available of this car.

Thanks ?

Rich

Bad news- the '78-'91 Crown Victoria LTD is the one big Ford that hasn't been kitted, in plastic or resin.

My wife's daily driver for the last two years is a white 89 Crown Victoria four door sedan - they are a nice car and hopefully, someone will cast that body style - even if it is just a plain police version without the vinyl top trim like our car has. They are still commonly seen and ours has been a totally reliable, trouble free vehicle despite being a high mileage car, except for replacing an alternator earlier this year. I'd love to have a couple to build - one as an RCMP police cruiser and the other as a replica of our car. :) That's a hint by the way, to any resin casters who bother to read this post.. :D

My wife's daily driver for the last two years is a white 89 Crown Victoria four door sedan - they are a nice car and hopefully, someone will cast that body style - even if it is just a plain police version without the vinyl top trim like our car has. They are still commonly seen and ours has been a totally reliable, trouble free vehicle despite being a high mileage car, except for replacing an alternator earlier this year. I'd love to have a couple to build - one as an RCMP police cruiser and the other as a replica of our car. :) That's a hint by the way, to any resin casters who bother to read this post.. :D

Im in the cue for a few of these if they become cast or kit form.

IIRC, someone offered one in resin back in the '90s..never saw one built up, though. The only diecast 1:64th ones I can think of were by Matchbox (pretty toy-like) and Johnny Lightning..

There is a clean 1:1 around here in dark gray..plain, no vinyl top..has the look of an unmarked police car from 20+ years ago.

I seem to have shed some light on a interesting car.im so glad there are other folks that want to see this car in kit form.

I'm thinking the men in black version,or a US milatery police car version.

Rich

Show me one full sized car that shouldn't be kitted. With the Fords we are actually lucky, very few are missing, if you count in the resins.

We had '83 and '84 Crown Vickies in Traffic. During inclement weather, or winter, I drove a slicktop white CV. The MSHP had the Mercury Marquis at that time which was the same car with different sheet metal. The Mercs held there own on the freeway, but the Fords were slooooow.

Big and comfy they were though.

G

G, why did you use a slick top during inclement weather or winter drive a slick top ?

We had two distinct types of enforcement vehicles for the Traffic Division. "Highway Cars" were radio cars with all the markings and big lightbars and push bumpers. They existed to a assist and handle freeway accidents, as well as speed enforcement.

"Radar Cars" were equipped the same except no lightbars, hence slicktop. I was a motor officer, so during bad weather when we couldn't ride, we were assigned to radar cars to patrol and write tickets. The duties were no different than when on a bike.

G

Edited by Agent G

I wish we had the law you have there in the states.

It's bloody rubish here in the UK!.......why?

Somone parks on a double yellow line,it's a fine.

Somone hits somone it's four weeks in prison and a fine,murder somone it's 15-20 and they probably do 10 then get let out to a job,house,new life.

Now that's what I call a rubish system.

People go found doing what they want because they know it's a slap on the wrist or time in prison all cushy and easy.

It makes me sick cause the law is pathetic here!

Anyway I've had my 2cents worth,so back to the thread!;-)

Rich

Wayne, i've been wanting to ask this of an officer for a while now. Bait cars for car thieves...is that or is that not a form of entrapment? Don't get me wrong, get the thieves off the street. It just seems to me that such a setup is a form of entrapment. In other words...would the car be stolen if the temptation weren't placed there?

There in lies the question of the chicken and the egg. As designed, bait cars are left unattended in areas known for their high level of auto theft. Without posting a sign that says "STEAL ME", a bait car is construed (by the courts) to be just like any other car left parked. Just because the keys are in it, and it is readily available, does not make it any more or less a statistic than anyone elses car. So says the courts.

Now, different states have different laws, and theoretically, what may fly in California courts won't in Nevada. Bait cars are rarely used in Las Vegas, but back in the day we used the stink out of them in St Louis. Trouble was we couldn't get the courts to prosecute regardless of the evidence as Missouri law is quite, well, stupid, in regards to auto theft. I'm unaware of any state or US Supreme court cases that have set the standard, yet.

It all boils down to common law, don't steal anybody elses stuff.

G

Edited by Agent G