Model Cars Magazine Forum

'73 Chevrolet Chevelle- Mastered by Tom Ellifritt

great to see it this far!....would you know what "Donor" kit or kits are going to be needed and what parts from them yet?...

Well, the chassis is from the AMT '69 Olds kit, so I imagine you'll need one of those to finish the chassis and engine compartment. Add engine, wheels and tires of your choice and that should be about it.

I also filled the indentation on the firewall and moved the wiper motor so you'll have room for a power brake booster if you want it. Of course, this was done AFTER the pic was taken. All that's left is to finish detailing under the hood, and then start smoothing everything out.

I hate to say this , but the subject matter is of no interest to me. (Sorry guys )

But WOW , watching this come together has me in awe

You shouldn't mind saying it. It's the truth. Any subject will have a number of people who have no interest. I am glad you enjoyed watching, though.

Really looking forward to this one! Nice work and I think you have a hit on your hands.

I quite agree.

Kevin- I'd strongly suggest having scads of these really for NNL-East next year. I'll be taking one myself. From what I'm seeing, this could move to best-seller very quickly.

Charlie Larkin

• 2 weeks later...

I snagged this one off of ebay a few days ago. I'm thinking there might be something usable here for the '73 project. It's the AMT re-pop with both a 73 and 74 nose clip. I checked it against the MPC S3 nose and except for the MPC unit being a bit taller in the fender sides area it lines up perfectly on the AMT body. I didn't take any pics of the engine or cage since it's the body we want. I can post more pics if needed, like the bare bones interior tub and such.

IMG_2495_zpsd81b9ba4.jpg

IMG_2494_zpsee1c82a7.jpg

IMG_2496_zps251a90ab.jpg

IMG_2497_zpsa7c6dd33.jpg

The open clip is the 73 and the closed off one the 74. After seeing them here, i'm going to try and get some better pics. :rolleyes:

Edited by MAGNUM4342

IMG_2507_zpsf11a80ce.jpg

IMG_2508_zpsdf48d966.jpg

IMG_2509_zps91093200.jpg

IMG_2510_zpsa58c95cf.jpg

The red and blue parts are the MPC Chevelle and are just for comparison. I also snagged an early eighties metal Caprice kit, and I know there was some discussion about a resin kit. The diecast kit I have coming needs some mods to make it correct, but if any casters are interested give me a pm.

Edited by MAGNUM4342

The white kit you are showing is actually for a 74 chevelle as it has the small 'slit' quarter window that was meant for the Malibu Classic and the Laguna. The 73 didn't have that feature yet it had the large window as is being modeled on the master. Second, the blue and the red cars are 75-76 model Lagunas, the sloping front ends and the louvers in the quarter window is what gives them away. The front end options you're seeing on the white car are really a 73 regular malibu, 300, SS style with the chrome bumper and the other one for a Laguna with the 'endura' bumper cover. A 75 or 76 Laguna would be nice to have as well though!!

Well I didn't expect anybody getting interested in this bodystyle at any time! It was so put down at the time it came out. Especially after so many years of succesful designs this one seemed bloated by comparison. But for some reason, they have aged much better than I would have thought. I think all 73-76 Lagunas and the 75 Malibu Classic are the best looking of the bunch. Looked even better in black! With 8 inch wide Corvette rally wheels and dual exhausts!