Model Cars Magazine Forum

How many models did you buy this year (type) as opposed to how many you built?

I was looking at some of the postings and saw how many builders actually finished building their models. I have many unfinished projects sitting on my desk and the only one I actually completed this year was the Pie Wagon. Then I looked at the stacks of models and supplies I picked up this year and the amount is staggering not to mention how much money was spent. I was wondering how many builders fit my catagory or am I a modeling oddity? Thanks!

Guest Sickfish

Mate I'm sorry to disappoint you but I reckon every single one of us bought more kits than we built this year & every year prior ;-) We're all hoarders! Lol! I personally finished 6 builds.... But bought at least 10 new kits.... 4 of which are on the bench.... Not to mention copious amounts of supplies ;-)

Cheers, Cliffo!

2011 was a year of expansion for my collection but nothing was built to completion. :( Between some resin cars and light trucks, old annuals, builtups and new boxed kits - and I am not bragging here - but I probably purchased well in excess of seventy five models pluus a few die casts of 1/24 - 1/18 scale. :) My last score was a 30 piece collection that I bought locally of a combination of built and unbuilt kits. There was even a nicely built large scale B17 aircraft but the rest were cars and an Italeri wrecker and another nicely built highway tractor. My favorite scores are the old annuals though. So in terms of gathering, it was a good year - in terms of productivity because life keeps getting in the way - dismal. Maybe this year will be better in terms of getting some projects past the primer stage... :unsure:

2011 marked a return for me back into modeling after about an 8 year hiatus. I had built maybe 3 or 4 in those 8 years I was doing other things, all of those were finished because they were customer cars. But in February I started a whirlwind of building that saw me order or buy maybe 50 cars until the beginning of November, and 6 of those were actually bought to use as parts cars for other projects. I have another 3 on the "in progress" compartment of my work desk and 2 that are opened in anticipation of being built. Most of my early builds, 6 of the Revell Ferrari's, a Tamiya Ferrari 360 and a number of other cars, are all on my nephews shelf, I have limited space so I only have 15 on display here, including a couple of cars I built 15+ years ago. Some of that 50 were replacements for collectors cars that I had to sell during those lean times in 2008-2009.

Edited by FresnoPete

Well Let's see I finished one that was started 2 years ago. I built a couple for the model car show that were given away as door prizes. Bought between 30 and 40 new kits and bought 5 or 6 resin bodies. I sold over 100 kits and that paid for everything i bought.Hopefully going to get a few built this year as i have been really motivated for the first time in years.

First off, MERRY CHRISTMAS everybody!!! I bought 50 plus kits this year. 20 or so resin bodies. As of last night I've completed 31. I've restored 3 that I built in the 1967-68 time frame. And If I finish some very minor detailing I'll complete 5 or 6 more before 2012. That's not to mention the 6 in progress. And when I get around to taking pictures and doing what I need to post them, you'll see them. This is my first full year of retirement. The drag car has been parked do to family reasons, so all I do is work on model cars and model trains. Aaron Dupont