Model Cars Magazine Forum

How many models did you buy this year (type) as opposed to how many you built?

Well...10 builds completed in 2011 (not bad)...number purchased or acquired??? guessing...Maybe 15, tops. I do have close to 60 or 70 kits only in the stash. I'm looking at 2012 as an opportunity to reduce overall inventory.

In other words...same plan as 2011!! Hopefully, a tad more successful!! :)

Reality...Who am I kidding...I'll end up buying more than I finish and not reducing stash inventory! Recipe for success and a happy hobby!

I HAVE NO IDEA, but this year alone, it has to be Over 800 bought and traded, and 20 or 25 or so built is all, In two years 40 built, I have gone over 1000 kits as it stand now,

and Still counting by the days end,...

Hay,,,, Ron and Pete, this seem like old times "A",.......lol...lol..

"BUT WHO'S COUNTING ANYWAY",..There is a LOT MORE OUT THERE and I need them "ALL" ....I plain on buying 1500 to 2000 in the first two weeks of 1012 my self,..Well,.....

Ian

Ian we need to talk like maybe a group intervention or something,holy smokes you going to have to sleep in the camper cause you'll be outa room inside before long LOL whens the hobby store or maybe museum opening,LMK i'll be there

*snip* and 6 of those were actually bought to use as parts cars for other projects.

That's a good point. Not all kits are purchased with the intention of them becoming finished builds. That said, I probably acquired a dozen kits, ended up building two, trading some, and giving away others, so I probably broke even.

The good news is other than the AMT Gremlin kit, I see no new releases I want. The bad news? eBay still exists. :lol:

Easier to know is, how many i built up: 27. Frame-off restauration 9. And unknown, how many old models get their detailwork.

How many kits i've bought? Sure: a dozen of Resin-Kits. Unsure about....hmmmm....50? 60 kits? Dont know.

WIP, there are always about 5 kits, in the shelf a maximum of 70 +/- kits.

its was a come and go this year, till i had only the kits i defenly will built in my shelf!

I dont want to have tooooo much kits in my shelf, that i know: "you never can build all kits you have in your life buddie!"

One buy, one built - that what i tried 2011 ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I finished, 40+ bought.

It is true, most of us are hoarders. I keep buying them with the intention to build them one day. I hope 2012 will produce more finished models than 2011. Heck, I need to finish 300 - 400 kits to make a dent. :(

That sounds like my situation. Although I am working on a T'rantula, a Ramcharger's dragster w/ a modified '34 shell (looks like an altered now), a Deora, a Pro Street '57 Chevy, a Pro Touring '65 Chevelle, a Boot Hill Express, a Rat Packer Chevy II, and an attempt at a Rat Rod. I guess that I need to focus on one project at a time but I have so many ideas for other models.

2011 marked a return for me back into modeling after about an 8 year hiatus. I had built maybe 3 or 4 in those 8 years I was doing other things, all of those were finished because they were customer cars. But in February I started a whirlwind of building that saw me order or buy maybe 50 cars until the beginning of November, and 6 of those were actually bought to use as parts cars for other projects. I have another 3 on the "in progress" compartment of my work desk and 2 that are opened in anticipation of being built. Most of my early builds, 6 of the Revell Ferrari's, a Tamiya Ferrari 360 and a number of other cars, are all on my nephews shelf, I have limited space so I only have 15 on display here, including a couple of cars I built 15+ years ago. Some of that 50 were replacements for collectors cars that I had to sell during those lean times in 2008-2009.

Out of curiosity, when you build for others, do you feel a sense of pressure having to complete a model for someone else? I know the feeling of satisfaction when you hand the model over to the new owner because I've suprised some friends with a model of their actual vehicle.

must be pretty close to 1:1 , one built one bought, wouldn't swear on it but it would be pretty close

My problem is I buy with the intent to build but it seems that I spend more time looking for models and supplies to buy and don't spend half that time building. The good thing is I have lots of discontinued models but the bad thing is I don't want to open them for that same reason.

This is an interesting thread.This year was different for me. I completed 18 builds this year and purchased 15 unbuilt kit's. I also bought 8 built up rebuilders off ebay and 5 resin bodies. I'm trying to limit my spending on models and did good this year. I do have a hoard thou. I have about 300 unbuilt kits that includes about 30 started. Somewhere around 20 built ups for restoration and about 75 resin trans kits. I have 136 built on display.