Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dirt Late Model Stock car.

Thanks Bill. I modified the front fenders some by cutting 11" (scale) off in length which lowered them 2". Looks better, but it still not exactly right,but close enough. I made the first tire and rim. The tire is 3" ABS covered with poster board and the tread pattern cut out with an Exacto knife. The side walls are sheet styrene and Bondo. I made a screed to give the shape as I applied the Bondo. The rim is a PVC coupler and I made the wide five center and bead lock out of sheet styrene. 101_1842.jpg

101_1839.jpg

101_1845.jpg

101_1853.jpg

Thank you Chris. I've got a little less than $100 invested in the whole car. That's one of the perks of scratch building. We don't live very far from each other. I'm new to modeling; I've been at it a little over a year now so I didn't know there was a show for model cars here in Arizona. I go up your way for the NASCAR races and to visit my granddaughter, in Mesa, who goes to ASU. I wouldn't mind trying a show. When and where is it and I'll enter. That could be fun and I would love to see, in person, what other guys do. I'm not sure if I'm "ready for prime time" or not but I will give it a shot..

Edited by Old Sprinter

Thanks Bill. Because I've had fun building a car from the 21rst century, instead of vintage stuff, I'm going to build a 2011 USAC non wing sprinter next. I will post pictures of this car when it's 100% done.

Edited by Old Sprinter

Ken, when you attend the show make sure you take your " build book" with the photos of the scratch building process. The book shows just how much work and effort goes into building something like this from scratch.

Great job. Looking forward to seeing your next build.

CHEERZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Ken,

The Desert Scale Classic is on April 21 and the location is the Postal Workers Social Hall, 3720 W. Green Way Road, Phoenix. Would be awesome if you could make it. Its about 6 weeks or more away. Your build is sure coming along and looking great with the paint on it. Nice work!

• 4 weeks later...

ken, the decals are the whipped cream on the pudding!!!!! (assuming you love pudding and whipped cream) LOL! i had to look at them twice to realize they where made up. great job at fitting the names to the decals. super job!!!!!!!