Model Cars Magazine Forum

-56 Vette VS. the -59 Impala

Pick your favourite, the -56 Vette or THE -59 Impala  

18 members have voted

1. 1.

• -56 Corvette
    • -59 Impala

I voted once again for the '56 Corvette..............while the '59 Impala is nice, I still prefer the lines of the 'Vette over the Batwing Chevy. :wink:

BTW, do you know if the interior of the '59 is original? I notice it has a white dash.............that's gotta be torture to drive on a sunny day! :shock: :lol:

Bravo, Mark!

I couldn't agree more. While the Impala is undoubtedly a cool car in that 50s over-the-top way, the early Corvettes (through 57) are classicly beautiful designs. In fact, the only styling flaw I can see in the 53-55 series is the odd protruding taillights, which they fixed for 56.

I'm right with you on current Chrysler styling! I wish they didn't abandon that smooth, sleek look of the previous generation 300, Intrepid, etc. Now they have the over-the-top "gangsta" 300, and the chunky, "industrial" Caliber, Nitro, etc. :roll:

Looks like they traded "class" for "crass"...

To further expand on the '59 Chevy (and the whole GM lineup for '59).........when GM decided to redo the styling for their '59's (which were originally nothing more than rechromed '58's) because of the absolute shock from Chrysler------Buick was the first to get their redone styling shown in about January of '57.

GM brass decided to have the rest of the lineup's styling evolve around Buick's door which is the reason all of the divisions cars had those wild fins. Take a look at the other divisions '59 doors and they all have the same downward sweep. Of course each division would have it's own chrome trim and restrikes..........but the same basic shape is there.

Cadillac for '59 could have been even more over the top as one styling proposal had the fins at least roof high!! :shock:

GM was simply copying Chrysler's manufacturing which was doing the same thing with their cars in an attempt to save money. Unfortunately, I think this was the very beginning of what would plague GM way down the road with "cookie cutter" cars........something that they're just now starting to get away from in recent years

I agree with you Mark about the '61 Chevy's styling! I always thought that the car reminded me of a "wingless jet" because of the hardtops rounded bubbletop and windshield and the way the fenders looked to have the fins stamped on the side instead of protruding outward like the '60 and earlier years. In fact, the whole GM '61 lineup look like wingless jets to me save for Cadillac! :lol:

'61's are kind of a favorite for me too as that's what was sitting in the dealers lots as new cars when I was being brought home from the hospital. :wink:

I too am a big fan of the '56-'57 'Vette's styling! I always thought they were the most beautiful of the first gen cars with the '61-'62's coming a close second. The '58-'60 'Vettes while nice, were just a bit overdone------but then look at the rest of the industry in those years.

Now they have the over-the-top "gangsta" 300, and the chunky, "industrial" Caliber, Nitro, etc. :roll:

Looks like they traded "class" for "crass"...

What 'til you see the production Imperial come 2010 or so! :shock:

I voted once again for the '56 Corvette..............while the '59 Impala is nice, I still prefer the lines of the 'Vette over the Batwing Chevy. :wink:

BTW, do you know if the interior of the '59 is original? I notice it has a white dash.............that's gotta be torture to drive on a sunny day! :shock: :D

Practivally all chrome has been cleaned off from the dash, and i dont think those seats are "stock-like".

For what i can see apart from the steeringwheel.