Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2s 61 Ford Galaxie

Guest Gramps-xrds

Guest Gramps-xrds

I was really kookin forward ta gettin this one, but after lookin through it I'm not that impressed. The chrome is full of dated custom options like it used ta be and there's funky custom front and rear options, but I'm still not impressed. The cruiser skirts are from the old Buick kit and don't fit the ford. It does have some nice pad painted Firestone supreme tires that could use another coat. All in all this one is better off being built stock and its a curbside kit too. Or I was thinking of making it into a Starliner by swapping tops off the 60 ford kit and making a 60 ford hard top also.

100_0279.jpg

100_0281.jpg

100_0282.jpg

100_0284.jpg

So....you expected this issue to be different from the rest??? :wacko: No one can say they are surprised by what's in the box with the Round2 reissues. It plainly has what's in the box on the bottom of the box.

I know there are certainly some issues with Round 2 kits....but I THOUGHT the idea was to get a second shot at some older tools that were / are long gone.... you get the kit back with a few upgrades but essentially it is the same thing... that works for me... I also have to suspect that MOST folks here don't build the kit (or any kit ....very few any way) .... box stock..... so I never quite could understand the moans and groans.... If there had been serious quality issues or a lack of fidelity or scale problems I could kinda understand the brickbats...... but it is still nice to have this and other kits back regardless of issues.... c'mon folks.... you're gonna hack these things up with no mercy anyway!!!! Right???? yep......

Regards

Bill (Duntov)

I am glad to see this back, even if ti is not up to today's standards. It is the only kit out there of a great car. I will also probably make a 61 Starliner from one of them too. I have the last reissue from a few years back. I hope that Round 2 keeps bringing back some of these oldies. The only really bad part about the older reissue is the sink marks are huge. Some of them are in hard to fix places too. I guess it just adds to the charm of the building experience. I would still rather have these old kits, even in limited numbers with their little glitches, than to see them go by the wayside. (And I will build a couple of them stock too!)

I'm with you there, Dave. I'll take them how I can, warts and all. Once they're sorted it's a good representation of the car. I'm partial to the formal rooflines myself but it's great that it's such a straightfoward swap to make the Starliner.

Chrome looks a LOT better than the last reissue.

The Starliner roof swap is pretty straightforward. I did it- so that means pretty much anyone should be able to do it! B)

028_28-vi.jpg

Nice piece Chuck! Looks like SOMEONE was reading one of my How-To articles...

61pic012_5-vi.jpg

B)

Nice piece Chuck! Looks like SOMEONE was reading one of my How-To articles...

B)

Well, actually.... started on this BEFORE I saw your how-to. Kind of wish I'd waited until I'd tracked down the article now. :lol:

Oh well, this kit is current again, and I know I've got a few spare '60 Starliner bodies laying around, maybe I'll just pull a do-over.

Didn't AMT do one with an engine? I'm sure my uncle had a convertible kit with one when I was a kid.

gus

Yes, AMT did the Sunliner convertible and Starliner fastback as annuals w/ engines..I've got a couple of 'em. The formal-roof coupe like this kit was always a curbside, though.