Model Cars Magazine Forum

6th Annual 24hr Build

Getting some work done now, baby is asleep, so its time to rock and roll and get some modeling done.

Here is the body, still a little tacky, painted with cheap wally world blue

c5a-1.jpg

here is the chassis going to together

c5c.jpg

and here are the tires and wheels, dullcoated the tires, wheels are paint tamyia gunmetal

c5b.jpg

Edited by martinfan5

Well I'm done for the night. The paint on the roof of the top section wrinkled and bubbled so I have to strip it. And I have nothing here to strip it with. Gotta go to the market in the morning and get some Easyoff oven cleaner and get that ###### paint off. Everything else is done to this point that I need the roof to build the walls of the top section...so I'm screwed for now. Sorry guys...

Here's where I ended up at noon...not complete :(

But, the paint turned out so well, I just couldn't rush it at the end. I've got to give it a chance to cure completely, then I'll polish. My OCD tendencies won't let me finish without making it the best I can, probably why I never get any builds to 100% :blink:

Build pics here:

http://s920.photobucket.com/albums/ad46/jeffs396/6th%20Annual%2024HR%20build%20jeffs396/

IMG_68912.jpg

IMG_68952.jpgIMG_68972.jpg

IMG_68942.jpg

Well the knives and the brushes are all down now.

I started this model at 12:19 yesterday afternoon and just stopped. There are a few more decals to apply and plumbing and wiring on the engine. Just ran out of time for the finer details.

Challanges I had were waiting for the paint to dry. I used Tamiya Laquer and Acylics as well as Krylon. All are fairly fast drying but I still would prefer to allow paint to dry for a couple of days before working with it.

I bought this kit for 9.99 on a clearance table at the hobby shop. It was opened, the box was in rough shape, but the decals were old and had a little water damage. It took a long time and decal set to get the larger decals done.

All in all I had a blast. With a little more work I'll have my second build completed by the end of the day. I spent almost 10 hours yesterday and 4 1/2 hours today. Man, how in the world did we ever pound out kits in a few hours as kids?

102_2473.jpg

102_2474.jpg

102_2471.jpg

102_2475.jpg

Great job and thanx guys. Jeff, yes, at around 1120. It turned into a curbside build. I was a little shakey this morning, broke one of the trim parts, so I left them off. The windows were a real pain. The molds are shot for this kit. Almost more flash that parts. Anyway, turned out pretty good, considering I haven't built a model this fast in probably 40 years!