Model Cars Magazine Forum

Did someone make a '68 Charger convertible?

Dodge never made a convertible Charger.

I'm sure it could be done in scale, and I seem to recall somebody on the dodgecharger.com forums was starting a 'phantom' one based on a Coronet convertible a few years ago....don't know if they pulled it off or not.

**EDIT** I remembered my id and password from the Charger forums, and did a quick search......here's one thing I turned up:

221.jpg

The guy who posted the pic said it was for sale at a swap meet in Everett WA.

Edited by VW Dave

Im High school, in 1969, My freind, Grady Stephensen, had a 69 Coronet R/T convertable. He wrecked it in the front. When it was repaired, He had them put a 69 Charger front end on it. It fit PERFECTLY, Flowed with the body lines, and was in fact a VERY beautiful car design! It's STILL a wonder to me WHY Dodge didn't go after this design. It was just a flat out BEAUTIFUL car!!! And I have NEVER seen another, not even in scale!!!

I saw a really cool phantom Charger Daytona convertible in one of the Mopar mags recently...plan to do one like that in 1:25th eventually. I have a couple other phantom Charger convertible kit builds I've started using the Revell '69s...one was a kit that I bought new but had a crushed roof, so I'd like to do it similar to a show car that Chrysler had back then--a low-windshield 2 seat Charger roadster..the other is a conventional convertible using the boot from a Coronet.

Edited by Rob Hall

I'VE seen that car in person and used to be in e-mail contact with it's owner, from what he could find on that car, it was converted back in the 70's when nearly new with all factory parts that were stripped off a real Superbird so the dealer could actually get it to sell. The car's original owner found those parts behind the the dealer, bought them, and had them installed on his 383 Vert. It's really anice car and the guy who owned it is pretty nice too.

I'VE seen that car in person and used to be in e-mail contact with it's owner, from what he could find on that car, it was converted back in the 70's when nearly new with all factory parts that were stripped off a real Superbird so the dealer could actually get it to sell. The car's original owner found those parts behind the the dealer, bought them, and had them installed on his 383 Vert. It's really anice car and the guy who owned it is pretty nice too.

Interesting story, I shot those pics about 5 years ago at a show in SoCal.

I like phantom cars when they're done up as a 'what if' factory car....I recall seeing both a convertible T/A Challenger and AAR 'Cuda at Carlisle one year, and a guy from Canada shows up nearly every year with a 64-ish Plymouth wagon modded into a 2-door with a Hemi that looks factory; his vanity tag reads "1OFNONE."