Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Grabber Orange Shelby Mustang

Jason Rothgeb

This is the second completion of the year. Details include Tamiya clear over Testors Laquer Grabber Orange over Tamiya grey primer (all rattle can) the car is box stck with the addition of some of the Model Car Garage photetch pieces including the front fender badges, rear license plate frame, and the radiator cap. The Cobra badges on the C pillar are from the Fred Cady decal sheet. I also used Slixx decals for the gauges as well but you really can't see them at this point. Looking back, I should have used the MCG pieces for the C pillar Cobra emblems as well.

This is a great kit with a detailed decal sheet including three stripe sets in white, black and maize. I'm not sure the maize ones are correct. In addition you get two decals for the aircleaner, a nice battery decal and a "caution fan" for the radiator shroud.

Assemblywise, it went together well and the only hangup was the tail light panel which sticks out slightly due to the rear edge of the chassis. Further there was no support provided on the body for this panel so it kept wanting to fall into the body. It was such an enjoyable build that I am going to do a 1970 with the slight changes that that entails since the 1970s were '69 leftovers with a couple of tweaks, namely adding a Boss Mustang sourced front spoiler and dual black stripes on the hood.

A great reference for this build was the book Shelby Mustang: Racer for the Streets by Randy Lefingwell. The book covers Shelby Mustangs from 1965-1970, Shelby Cobras and Daytona Cobras, and the newest Shelby Mustang. Aside from the great and detailed colored pictures, the book does a great job of telling the tale of Shelby and his relationship with Ford and how that affected each year's Shelby Mustang.

Without further ado here are the pictures:

HPIM2889-vi.jpg

HPIM2896-vi.jpg

HPIM2890-vi.jpg

I really like the build. Very clean and the underhood detail is awsome. What manufacturer is it?

Hooked,

Sorry for the late response. That kit is a Revell kit and recently reissued as a "2 n' 1" with the 19" TT wheels in the Pro-Touring style. I had the original kit for a few years, but had to pick-up a parts kit due to a failed experiment with using the photoetch MCG grill. I was able to get the parts kit at my local Wal-Mart. My local hobby shop also had one in stock that I picked up to do that eventual 1970 Shelby project.

• 2 months later...