Model Cars Magazine Forum

A Couple of Prowlers...

Scottnkat

Well, I figured my first thread on this forum would have to be about a new build. So, here goes. For Christmas, my son (Damien) got an AMT Prowler. He knew that I had an unbuilt kit sitting in my stash, so he asked me if we could build them together. I decided that might be kinda fun to build them together, so I said yes.

Damien and I have started our little build now. The two kits we are doing are shown here. Damien is doing the AMT yellow Prowler, while I am doing the purple Revell Prowler.

P1020516a.jpg

Just so you know - although they are both 1/25 scale, and although they both come with a trailer, these are NOT the same kit. The parts are different and even the seams on the bodies are different. Damien's body seam ran down the front, while the other kit had the body seams on the sides. Here are the parts from the AMT kit after being washed (yes, Damien washed them himself):

P1020515a.jpg

And here are the parts from the Revell kit:

P1020514a.jpg

Time to let everything dry, then priming and painting can commence.

Not much to report right now - we just finished sanding the bodies and putting the first coats of primer on them. I expect we'll be doing some brushwork tomorrow, but the pace for these builds will all be up to Damien to determine - I won't rush him, but I won't keep him waiting either.

Well, we've got the bodies primered and we have started laying down some paint - Damien has decided to make his a black vehicle - he's still trying to decide on the interior color, but he thinks that he wants red carpeting in there. I've decided to go with a black cherry color on the outside and a grey colored interior, although this may become a black interior depending on my mood. We've also started some of the brush painting - Damien started with the black:

P1020517a.jpg

Since he was using the black, I started with the silver:

P1020518a.jpg

Damien got only a few parts painted before he got tired of it, so we are taking a break now. We may get back to this again tonight - it depends on how Damien feels.

he he - thanks, Ian - sorry, but today was a clean up day as dictated by mom - everyone had a job or three to be done before anything could be done for fun. Then wouldn't you know it? My kids give me a late Christmas present of Gran Turismo 5 and the family's been playing that all evening. We'll try to get something going for you tomorrow, man.

hey, that would be fun, Ian. Haven't tried that game (Dirt 2). The slow cars in GT5 are good for the younger kids, though - Genevieve has a heck of a time with the fast ones. Stephen is a little irritated at his brother, though - Damien got lower times than Stephen did on a few of the tracks - he he.

Damien came home from school sick today, so no work on the Prowlers. But, I don't wanna keep you waiting too long, so I thought I would post a pic of the trailers so you can see how they differ. The Revell trailer is comprised of two main parts, where the AMT trailer is comprised of three main parts. Note: since the copyright information is molded on the inside of the trailer, I didn't bother sanding it off - it will be closed up tight so nobody will ever see it anyway.

P1020535a.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well, we have finished the preliminary painting and Damien is all set to begin building. He's decided to go with a red interior, which should look great with the black body. I'm doing a grey interior for the black cherry body. Here's a pic of Damien's status so far - hopefully tomorrow we can begin some building!!!

P1020672a.jpg

Well, I've got an update for ya. Damien finally decided that we needed to being working on the Prowlers. We started with the engines, but then Damien changed gears and decided that we're doing the interiors first. So, here are the Revell (left) and AMT (right) Plymouth Prowler interiors:

P1020690A.jpg

Bear in mind that since I am building this with Damien, I am not doing anything special to this kit at all - I have enough "special" stuff of my own going on. wink.gif But we're building both box-stock so you can compare.

Edited by Scottnkat

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Damien made some time to do some more work. We've completed the engines (at least the basic assemblies as called for in the instructions). The Revell kit will finish getting it's top half once installed in the chassis. The AMT is on the right and the Revell is on the left. The AMT kit seems to have slightly better detail on the engraving, but they are actually both pretty much the same.

P2060020a.jpg

And here are the wheels from the two kits. Note that the large rear wheels on the Revell kit did not want to fit in the wheels - we had to do some work to get them to fit. The details on the AMT wheels are better. The Revell are on top and the AMT are on the bottom.

P2060019a.jpg

I've gotta say, it's somewhat nice to have a kit that you're not trying to make look the best it can - I'm just kinda rolling along without trying to fix anything or make anything better at all - this is a different kinda build for me, and Damien's having fun with it, too.

• 3 years later...