Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Dodge A100 Overhaulin' Style

The upcoming Classic Plastic Model Club show in September, 2012 will once again have a Club Challenge. This time it will be pickup trucks...built anyway you want. I threw my hat into the ring with a 1950 Ford F1, but I changed my mind after a few days after seeing a Dodge A100 factory stock build elsewhere. I was influenced to try my hand at an A100. This kit has been in my stash for a while and I have been needing an opportunity to built it. This will be a slow build since this is for the Club Challenge and I want to get this one right, especially after hearing stories about the door hinges. I have a Overhaulin' look in mind.

A10001.jpg

I have a set of Pegasus Chrome T's for this build. Let's see if I can get them to fit.

A10002.jpg

A10003.jpg

I am undecided on the color right now. I'm thinking of copper, metallic brown, fiery orange...or maybe Hemi Orange! We shall see...

More to come...

Edited by mrmike

PLEASE - PLEASE - PLEASE- PLEASE , what ever ya do , PLEASE don't use those wheels............... AKKKKKKKKKKK.......... Ed Shaver

X2!

They just don't fit. But it's going to be interesting project, even if you are using those wheels or not. Because I like that Dodge A100 body style very much. But this car needs to have steelie wheels, and dog dish style hubcaps. ;)

Well...a mixed bag of comments! Well, I am going to see if I can make the wheels fit and I am encouraged by crazyjim's comment. I realize that it may take a bit of work to get them under the fenders, but if it is going to take massive surgery, then I'll use a different wheel and tire combo. But, I will not use steelies and hubcaps as they do not fit within the design of my project and the look I am going for. Anyway, I have nine months to figure all this out, so stay tuned!

Edited by mrmike

Thanks Jacen! I think the Pegasus wheels will look just right for this project. Right now, the body is being cleaned up mold lines and flash. Then I'll start on some bodywork. I need to study the door hinges and how they mount.

I have one of these on the bench so it's good to see another one. I replaced the plastic pins on the door hinges with a rod drilled thru the plastic hinges. There's a photo about halfway down my thread showing some brass temporary pins that give the idea. I expect to use dome steel sewing pins in the end. This also lets me install the doors whenever I like and don't have to worry about getting everything done before paint. Hopefully, it will be more rugged in the end than the plastic pins.

You should be able to see what I did following my thread even though they aren't fully done.

I just taped the doors on and glued the hinge pieces with the pins on, after cutting the pins off) while it was in place.

Then I drilled holes through both hinge pieces while they were aligned. The drill bit should match the pin diameter or slightly larger for some fitting room. I have some sewing pins with small heads I plan to use.

Edited by Foxer

Hmmm...Ed, I am now curious as to why it seems so important that I build my A100 stock when I thought I had stated that I was going for an Overhaulin look. I have long since used the kit steelies and hubcaps for another project and I am not interested in the mud splattered, weathered look that many of you folks like to do. I don't like the beaten up, worn out look...it just doesn't do anything for me.

My builds are glossy and shiny! My A100 will be a slightly custom vehicle with shiny paint and chrome wheels. I do thank you all for your input and suggestions and I would like to encourage everyone to post their input, but I do have a design in mind and I am quite certain that I can accomplish that look. Thanks for your suggestions so far.

Mike, I back you on the wheels. I have several of these kits and only one has the stock rims/rubber. The rest are aftermarket units and I like it that way. Soldier on with YOUR build. If others don't like the rims you chose, let them build their own version and stop grousing about your build.