Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Dodge A100 Overhaulin' Style

I'm sure Michael can back me up on this when I say DO give Ambroid a try. Tenax is another great liquid cement as well. Liquid cements do require a different approach than you would use with tube glue, but with a little practice on some scrap that is easily overcome. A normal application where you are simply joining two well-fitting parts requiring a minimal amount of cement will set up very quickly.

Michael, I hear ya. I try my best to keep my criticisms or suggestions truly constructive and not nit-picky or irrelevant, and I think in general most here probably do a pretty good job at that as well, but there's always someone or a small handful who is ready and willing to spike the punchbowl. It's the internet, though...gonna happen now and then. :D

Jonathon, I use Ambroid ProWeld only when I am joining unpainted, perfect fitting parts together. If you use it on painted parts, goodbye paint! Usually you can join the parts together and then apply ProWeld and it will flow into the joint with capillary action. Drying time varies with how much you use so use it sparingly.

Christopher, those few malcontents are the ones who irritate me the most. I usually don't mind constructive criticism and general inquires, only if they are just that. But, when the comment comes across as "telling" or "demanding", then I usually ignore the reply. I don't really know that many people on this forum, although I do recognize a few names and/or handles here. I will tell you this...if I want something done in a certain way and I can accomplish it within my skillset, it'll be done that way. I do like to think of myself as an open-minded person though.

Thanks guys! I don't have any tires in my stash that are "meatier" than the ones on the rims now. And, my idea for this pickup does not include big and little wheels and tires. My paint issues were of the poor coverage as the paint looked more like streaks after making a pass while spraying. I know that many of you like the Testors One Coat, but I am still not crazy about it. We shall see what happens when I get around to spraying it. I will change my way of applying it with lighter coats.

I get that streaking a lot with testors One Coat..with Fiery orange and Inca Gold. With Firey Orange though, for some odd reason...the streak disappears after a day in the oven...not with Inca Gold, it remains, not as prominent as it is when the paint is still wet, but noticable none the less.

Looking forward to seeing your end product. This kit is one of the many I have planned for this year.

Thanks Mike! I hope you won't be disappointed.

I got the 273 CI V8 assembled and painted with Chrysler Engine Red. Since the engine will be covered, nothing extraordinary here.

A10010.jpg

Bodywork is almost completed. A coat of primer should tell me more.

A10011.jpg

A10012.jpg

More to come...

I started working on lowering the front suspension this morning. I notched the front axle and the leaf springs which helped bring down the front a bit. I can remove a lttle more material from the springs and axle if needed. If that doesn't lower the suspension enough, I can remove the mounting blocks from the rear of the leaf springs.

A10014.jpg

Maybe a little more...

A10013.jpg

A10015.jpg

My goal is to lower the suspension, but keep the truck "streetable" as a daily driver and maintain a somewhat comfortable ride.

More to come...

Last night I decided to do a little research on the Overhaulin' Dodge A100 and found a few pictures. I noticed that the tires all seem to have the same sidewall height which tells me that the tires are close to being the same size. The front tires are narrower in width.

A10016.jpg

A10017.jpg

This pictures shows a before and after shot of the Overhaulin' A100.

A10018.jpg

I would like to thank all those who have supported my choice of wheels for this build. Maybe it's just me, but I am getting tired of having to defend my choices to others. I was raised to respect others and if I have nothing nice to say...then I don't say anything at all. I really appreciate the replies to date and I hope for more as this project goes along. Harry P. is correct...this is my build and I will build it my way. Thank you all!

Edited by mrmike

When I started this WIP, I knew I would have to shorten the mounting boss on the inside of the Pegasus wheels. I started with a Brad Point drill bit chucked in my cordless drill. I removed 3/16ths of an inch off the mounting boss. I then used a .089 drill bit in my pin vice and opened the center hole to fit onto the axles.

A10020.jpg

A10019.jpg

A mockup to see if the wheels fit within the fenders. Perfect! Now I can lower the suspension a little more.

A10021.jpg

More to come...

ALSO from Nashua and Hudson N.H...move down here to the Sunshine State...10 years ago...had all the snow I could haddle for 55 years...

This looks GREAT...thats my bike I sold a guy before I left.....LOL...Looks Great and a EXCELLENT Job...

Thank you Tim, Richard and Bart. Guys, your words of encouragement have really lifted my spirits today! The cold weather and my head and chest cold have been getting the best of me this week. If I can just stop coughing when I lie down and get a full nights rest...that would be just great!

Thanks Daniel and Darrick! I've been picking at the suspension...getting it lowered. It's almost there, so maybe I'll have pictures by the weekend. I am having second thoughts about the paint as I am not too sure if I want to use the Testors One Coat paint at all. I guess I shall continue pondering...

Glad to see you getting closer on this one Mike. I have two of these kits and I want to build one similar to the way you are building yours. The other one I want to get a Jimmy Flintstone van body and build a work van.

Keep at it, it will help the cold go away!

Mike, the Testors One Coat is nice. I've used the Lime Ice before with good results. Can't wait to see what it looks like w/the wheels on! I just finished making resin copies of my 23" and 19" Ts (my first attempt at resin - needless to say I learned a lot about making molds to reduce air pockets!). Anyway, hope to see more progress soon!

Tim

Thanks guys! I have been working on lowering the suspension on the A100. The front is right where I want it now, but the rear still needs to come down a bit. Maybe about 3/16ths of an inch more. Maybe some trimming where the axle mounts to the springs and at the spring mounts on the frame. I must admit that the front suspension was quite easy to modify.

A10023.jpg

A10022.jpg

A10024.jpg

Also, I have decided against the using the Testors One Coat Fiery Orange paint. I am leaning towards Tamiya TS-39 Mica Red or Tamiya TS-18 Metallic Red.

More to come...

Thanks Darrick! it should look great...all nice and glossy!

My goal this morning was to get the rear suspension of the A100 down to where I wanted it. I have modified the rear spring mounts as much as I could and decided that the axle mounts on the springs would have to be modified. The picture shows the spring on the top as modified with the spring below unmodified.

A10025.jpg

Now this is where I want the stance to be!

A10026.jpg

It's amazing what I can find in my parts box. I had fogetten that I bought these last year and stuffed them away for a future project. Well, the future is here and now!

A10027.jpg

I may strip the chrome off the rotors and paint them or I might try brushing the chrome with sandpaper to get a dull finish on them and painting the calipers red.

More to come...

Hey Mike, good to see you got the rear lowered like you had wanted. Even if you weren't able to lower it, the slight rake it had would have been cool too, as it just had a 70s Hot Rod feel to it!

Fine grit sandpaper followed by a thinned wash of black or burnt metal will give you the 'used' look you are going for. Once you wash it and it dries, go back with a q-tip slightly damp with thinner to remove the wash from the high spots. It will look like it has been used but still have a shiny surface like real used brakes have.

Brad, if I haven't lowered the rear, the nose would have looked like it was dragging on the ground and wouldn't look right with the same size tires front and rear. And thanks for the tip on the brake rotors! I'll have to consider it when it comes time to use them. My brother-in-law once owned a '74 Z-28 and put air shocks on the back and with the same size tires all around...it just looked wrong.

I finished the engine last weekend, but didn't post any pictures of it.

A10028.jpg

A10029.jpg

After looking at the pictures of the Overhaulin' A100, I decided to make a filler panel for the tailgate.

A10030.jpg

I threw the disc brakes into the purple pond this morning to remove the chrome plating. I'll paint the brakes with Model Master Metalizer later.

More to come...