Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Dodge A100 Overhaulin' Style

Thanks guys!

Good to see this one coming back again, Mike.

What did you use for primer? I've never seen orangey-colored primer like that before, or was it white with the red dyes coming through?

Charlie Larkin

Charlie, I used red oxide primer on the A100. The doors had only a light coat of primer applied when I took the pictures, that is why they look orangey.

Thank you Bill! I have changed my mind on the paint. I am going to use Tamiya TS-39 Mica Red. I had issues with Testors One Coat Revvin' Red on a street rod that I built so I reconsidered my paint choice and went with the Tamiya.

Mike, I like what you did with your door hinges! I wished I had done that with mine so I could remove the doors and detail the inner panels easily. Is there a reason why you stopped working on it?

No reason I stopped other than another one catching my attention. I think we build at the same pace ( :) ). but I have 20 or so others that I switch back and forth on. I was having trouble finding an acrylic light blue that really slowed me down. Right now, I may get back to it after my daughter's van is finally done.

I'm not sure I'm going to make it to Classic Plastic's show this year, but would be nice to see this live!

I went through the post trying to find the quote and couldn't but I agree with who ever said "you had me at A100"

I can't wait to see how you build it.

now for my opinion and it is just that MY opinion that type of rim can look good on that truck but I'M not a fan of the skinny tire look. Now go forth and build and I wish you all the luck at the show in sept.

Thanks guys!

No reason I stopped other than another one catching my attention. I think we build at the same pace ( :) ). but I have 20 or so others that I switch back and forth on. I was having trouble finding an acrylic light blue that really slowed me down. Right now, I may get back to it after my daughter's van is finally done.

I'm not sure I'm going to make it to Classic Plastic's show this year, but would be nice to see this live!

I can understand how another project can capture one's attention, which is why I limit myself to two projects at a time. This allows me to at least finish a project before starting another. It also helps keep the bench from getting too cluttered. :wacko: Your daughter's van looks like quite the custom scratch building project! I'll have to look into it more. Let me know if you can make it to this years Classic Plastic Model Club Show so I can make it a point of meeting you.

Dave, I would like to have a meatier tire, but I have what I have and it looks good to me. I have seen thinner rubber bands on 1:1 cars and I don't like them at all. Those are usually the type of vehicles that goes crashing over every tiny crack and pebble in the road with no give in the suspension.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Darrick! I lost interest in this build a couple of months ago when it seemed that everything I tried to work on this build, went south on me. I am regaining some interest in this build again, even though I won't be able to finish it for the Classic Plastic Show on September 16. I have other trucks that I can use for the Club Challenge instead.

Edited by mrmike

• 2 months later...

Thank you Dave!

On a whim the other day, I decided to paint the A100 just to see what the Mica Red would look like over the reddish brown primer. Have a look...

A10059.jpg

A10060.jpg

A10061.jpg

I like the dark red color and it should really shine when I polish the paint.

More to come...

I am forging ahead with the A100 and I got a lot done on it today between running to the kitchen periodically to check on the turkey in the oven. I detailed painted the rotors and installed them onto the wheels.

A10062.jpg

The engine and suspension has been installed.

A10063.jpg

And, the chassis and floor pan are up on four wheels!

A10064.jpg

More to come...

Thanks guys!

I so want to get a case of these models.. I have a ton of ideas to try... hmm like one sitting on the amt 84 gmc running gear hehe.

I hope you have a lot of patience, 'cause you'll need it for one of these kits! This old tooling has made building this kit difficult for me at times. The worst part of this kit are the doors as the fit is terrible. I had lost interest in building this kit and now I just want to get it off the bench and move on to another (and perhaps a better) build.

A major step forward today as the body and chassis are finally joined together after installing the windows and the instrument panel.

A10065.jpg

A10066.jpg

I'm not sure what kit these exhaust pipes came from, but I drilled out the ends, painted the tips gloss black, and sprayed Alclad II Chrome paint on them.

A10067.jpg

More to come...

These pickup/vans from the early to mid '60's were unique for it's era. Chevy tried with it's Corvair platform and failed miserably in it's attempt. They had better luck with the truck chassis version. But, I will always like the Dodge A100 better because I am a Mopar fan.