Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cannonball Run CBP 2012

slantasaurus

Hi everyone, sorry for not recent posts, life's been keeping me busy. I've got a good amount of work done to the vette. I'll have pics up later today, battery in the camera is dead and being charged right now. I'm not sure if I'll get it done on time either, but I'll try.

Everyone's cars look great, I hope we all get to the start line, it looks like a killer line up. Goodluck everyone. :)

As promised earlier here's an update, the color is Nassau Blue which is the closest I could get to Pennant Blue. I'm almost done with the engine. The frame is pretty much done, the interior is being slow. I had an issue with the floor board but my good friend sandpaper solved the problem. I got to re-spray that as soon as it gets warmer. Anyway that's what I've been up to.

Post32.jpg

Post33.jpg

Post31.jpg

Matthew that blue is gorgeous. I'll have to file that away. Testors? Have LOTS of fun with that windshield. In quick order I learned the curved kit glass of my '60 Revell doesn't remotely fit the frame so I cut a new one out of acetate and it fought me for an hour with annoying results. Better luck on your AMT.

Adam, I don't know what impresses me more, your surgical expertise with a dremel or your kahunas to get that involved at this stage. Whether you make it to the line or not, I look forward to seeing this take shape.

Adam, I don't know what impresses me more, your surgical expertise with a dremel or your kahunas to get that involved at this stage. Whether you make it to the line or not, I look forward to seeing this take shape.

I'd like to know where he found the kahunas to help him out... My guess would be Hawaii, since that's where all the big Kahunas seem to hang out. Whatever the case and wherever they came from, they must have pretty big cojones to try that work this late in the game!

Edited by CorvairJim

Niko, I can't believe how much you're getting done in a short amount of time. All of it looks great, your extra effort shows.

Thanks.

I try to paint all parts I need to complete a chassis, for example on one day. And on the next day, parts are dry and maybe I can paint other colors or details with silver (silver dries fast). Then when everything is dry: Ding, Ding, Ding, we can put it together. :lol:

I took the classic One Step Forward And Two Steps Back.

The One Step Forward is that I got the body clearcoated. I'm going to spray another coat of clear tomorrow and then I can wait it to dry and polish it out.

Two Steps Back are, that I dropped the chassis. Or actually I didn't drop, but it somehow just slipped to floor from my bench. Luckily, only one part was broken (front spindle in three pieces) but many parts were gotten apart. It's coming together again, though.

I should have pictures to show tomorrow.

I'd like to know where he found the kahunas to help him out... My guess would be Hawaii, since that's where all the big Kahunas seem to hang out. Whatever the case and wherever they came from, they must have pretty big cojones to try that work this late in the game!

:lol: :lol: :lol: Another reason why central midwesterners should put down and step away from urban slang.

Matthew that blue is gorgeous. I'll have to file that away. Testors? Have LOTS of fun with that windshield. In quick order I learned the curved kit glass of my '60 Revell doesn't remotely fit the frame so I cut a new one out of acetate and it fought me for an hour with annoying results. Better luck on your AMT.

Thanks, yes it's Testors model master brand. The windshield is the one thing I haven't checked yet, I hope it fits. Best of luck with your's too.

Geez, I go away for a couple days and come back to a conversation about the size of my Cajones. You guys need to find a hobby. I think I`ll take it as a compliment

I hussled my butt tonight and got a ton done. The stock front suspension was`nt doing much for me, it just was`nt fitting in with the look I have planned for the car so I did some frame mods and put in a gasser style front end. That of course led to clearance problems with the motor mount so I had to make new mounts too. Good thing its a straight line from coast to coast cuz I dont think that leaf spring front will handle as well in the corners.

Also got the backside of the grill shaved down in order to open it up, I like that look a lot more than painting in the black spaces.

SDC10668.jpgSDC10669.jpgSDC10667.jpgSDC10671.jpg

AND HE FUMBLES ON THE ONE YARD LINE! :angry::(

Clearing did not go well guys. I rushed it a bit and got some bad orange peel. And on the white it looks like little bubbles in the paint. In an attempt to salvage it, sanding it has caused me to go through the paint as well. I specifically used the one coat lacquer because of how shallow the window trim molding was and I could get by with one coat. I ended up ruining it. I have no paint remover at this time, no extra decals, and not enough paint to re-shoot. Looks like I'm not going to see the start of the race.

Sorry guys. I will be finishing this. Just not anytime soon. Anyone have a spare decal sheet from the '49 Merc laying about?

Got a bit done on the interior today. Built a rollbar and a seat mount.

Its not going to be quite as plush as Erics interior. Stripped to the bone with one seat, a shifter, a rollbar and not much else. This baby is built for speed.

I opted to keep the carpet to have a little more comfort during the occasional catnap on the floor.

SDC10681.jpgSDC10673-1.jpg

AND HE FUMBLES ON THE ONE YARD LINE! :angry::(

Clearing did not go well guys. I rushed it a bit and got some bad orange peel. And on the white it looks like little bubbles in the paint. In an attempt to salvage it, sanding it has caused me to go through the paint as well. I specifically used the one coat lacquer because of how shallow the window trim molding was and I could get by with one coat. I ended up ruining it. I have no paint remover at this time, no extra decals, and not enough paint to re-shoot. Looks like I'm not going to see the start of the race.

Sorry guys. I will be finishing this. Just not anytime soon. Anyone have a spare decal sheet from the '49 Merc laying about?

AHHHHH! NOOOO!

It was looking really good too Rob! I am pressed to finish mine as well...

Jant, just don't photograph that side and we'll never know...

As we seemed to be having an eyeball theme I added one.

60PanelDeliveryWIP19-11-12003.jpg

Paint is on and awaiting clear - I tried to err on the subtle side.

60PanelDeliveryWIP19-11-12001.jpg

and the chassis is rolling.

60PanelDeliveryWIP19-11-12002.jpg

i'm now working on the final details including the exhaust ( a glasspack for each side - can't be too loud as we don't want to attract undue attention), 3 more spare wheels on a stand and all the tools etc that also might be needed.

See you on the road boys...