Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cannonball Run CBP 2012

slantasaurus

I actually got the first two-tone color on the Cor-Vex a week or two ago but nothing to brag about until all the body color is on. Otherwise... hey, it's summer what can ya say? The air is sweet, BBQ's are sizzling and the motorcycle can smell the lakes. Summer doesn't last long in these parts.

I'm involved in about 4 CBPs at the moment, so they all take their turns on the bench. My Fury wagon is moving along, but I'm not getting it finished as quickly as I thought I would. The deadline is still a ways off, so I'll be at the starting line with it when race day arrives with a full tank of Premium and a few boxes of provisions for my 3-man crew, don't worry about that! B)

HEY !!!!!!!...........wher'd everyone go ???

I haven't done much to the Dart, I did take some pics last week but I still haven't uploaded them...........I need to remember to do that sometime.

I'd hoped to get more done before summer set in - that didn't happen. I will be MIA for most of the summer months but if I get a break late (late) summer or fall, I will put in some time.

I haven't done much to the Dart, I did take some pics last week but I still haven't uploaded them...........I need to remember to do that sometime.

I'm still around...however I need to dust the cobwebs off my bench. :lol:

Edited by SuperStockAndy

Shivering down here. Winter has kicked in with some nights almost dipping to freezing. That plus the rain means not much painting so it's scratch building season.

I've finished my "practice" '60 (http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=59120) and now have no other deadlines to meet except for this one.

I'll just finish up some other builds first and then i'll get it out again.

Now, wheels. I recently picked up the AMT 7 in 1 '60 Corvette. It has included with it a set of 5 slot Astro wheels (look a bit like small window Halibrands). Are these correct for '62 or did AMT not release this 'vette until later than that?

They are the ones on the right - all I can find is that Astro started making wheels in "the early 60's" (the ones on the left - Supremes - were first made in 1964 BTW)

astro02xr0.jpg

Shivering down here. Winter has kicked in with some nights almost dipping to freezing. That plus the rain means not much painting so it's scratch building season.

I've finished my "practice" '60 (http://www.modelcars...showtopic=59120) and now have no other deadlines to meet except for this one.

I'll just finish up some other builds first and then i'll get it out again.

Now, wheels. I recently picked up the AMT 7 in 1 '60 Corvette. It has included with it a set of 5 slot Astro wheels (look a bit like small window Halibrands). Are these correct for '62 or did AMT not release this 'vette until later than that?

They are the ones on the right - all I can find is that Astro started making wheels in "the early 60's" (the ones on the left - Supremes - were first made in 1964 BTW)

astro02xr0.jpg

Zen, from what I've been able to find in vintage photos the 5 slot mag wheels are fine by me. Astro may not have made them in 62 but other companies were for sure by then. Same with the other wheels in that pic, American Racing was making Torque Thrusts at least by 62. Wheels are one of the tougher parts of this CBP because there weren't many options in 1962.

I'm glad many of you guys replied, I just wanted to see who was around. Don't worry if your project is stalled. I haven't been building much myself its still a long way from the end of November.

I am still lurking havent touched the poncho but i did look at it on my ride height display.

Have been working on other projects, and one for the gumball cbp. having trouble with a pass door for my daytona.

the poncho will be done maybe with a M/T 4cyl with blower from Attempt one. ;):blink: .

Oh the fumes from the paint at work are messing me up lmao.

Ok i will have some updates soon.

Michael

Yeah i have ppe , use a small fan to evacuate out side the fumes and a 3m half mask, of the disposable variety.

At work we have to use it but we also have a fan right there so i can getaway with the charcoal mask .

been a paint mixer for 20 yrs and every year the company has monthly courses for a whole range of things.

And as far as health i know the dangers spray some zinc chromate primer and i egt a cough

As for those wheels i haven't seen torque thrusts in any pics from old mags (hotrod deluxe).but if the officials say it is cool

then yee-haw .But i have some old halibrands also

Michael

Yeah i have ppe , use a small fan to evacuate out side the fumes and a 3m half mask, of the disposable variety.

At work we have to use it but we also have a fan right there so i can getaway with the charcoal mask .

been a paint mixer for 20 yrs and every year the company has monthly courses for a whole range of things.

And as far as health i know the dangers spray some zinc chromate primer and i egt a cough

As for those wheels i haven't seen torque thrusts in any pics from old mags (hotrod deluxe).but if the officials say it is cool

then yee-haw .But i have some old halibrands also

Michael

Halibrands are good for the build too, those started in the late 50's. I have a few old Hot Rod magazines from the early 60's and that's what I've based my decisions off. One of the issues I have has some drag raing coverage (which shows 5 slot and Torque-Thrust wheels) and also has Indy 500 coverage (which shows Halibrands).

Wasn't nagging Mike but I had to ask. You know how it is - i'm Safety Rep here and can't let anything go. It's become a habit.

My wifes old man was a paint sprayer and bodyworker back in the days when cars were made of real metal and men didn't wear masks. Towards the end the docs reckoned it was only the trombone playing (a trad Jazz man) that had kept him going so long.

I'm still here too, sorry for no recent posts. I'm in the same boat, I've got pics but haven't posted them yet either lol.

My work will be slow to nonexistant until I can replace the window air conditioner in my attic workroom. It's currently about 95 degrees outside, so past experience tells me that it's in the 130+ range up there at the moment. Some time, I gotta insulate the crawl spaces off to the sides of the workroom area, and drop the ceilng panels and insulate up there too. I know that I need to sweat off some weight, but I'm no glutton for punishment!

Your attic sounds exactly like mine. I just never got up the courage to actually put my studio up there, though that was the plan upon purchase. Too bad, it's a nice retro room typical of those 40's post war cracker box houses. Zen, I'd love to set up a seasonal exchange program with ya.

The self-employed guy we bought the house from used the attic as his home office. For the first several years it served as our oldest daughter's bedroom until she moved out. That's when I took it over for my workroom. The first A/C unit died that summer. I bought a new one, which lasted all of 2 years - until my then-teenage son accidently fell against it while clowning around, PUSHING IT RIGHT OUT THE WINDOW!!! (You shoulda seen the sparks from the electrical outlet that was pulled halfway out of the wall!) I found a used unit cheap to replace it, and that's the one that died last fall.

Fred, I'll box up some heat for you and send it off by Express Mail tomorrow (I don't think e-mail will work). You're welcome to all I can cram in the biggest box I can find. I don't know if it will stay fresh until it gets there, though. Give me your address and I'll let you know how much it costs to ship it. B)

Is it safe to assume a 1939 Chevy Sedan Delivery would fit the build? Any idea where I can source an acceptable motor in 1/24 scale? Thanks

The 39 Chevy SD would be a nice addition to the Cannonball, I was wondering why there haven't been more Street Rods entered. As far as an engine goes you would have to look for other Monogram based kits. If I remember right that 39 has a 427 big block which wouldn't fit the build. You might try the small block from the black 55 Chevy that Andy is building, you could always use the 427 in that so that you wouldn't just have a parts kit left over.

Is it safe to assume a 1939 Chevy Sedan Delivery would fit the build? Any idea where I can source an acceptable motor in 1/24 scale? Thanks

Well if it was my build the I-6 from the 1/24 Revell '53 Chevy is the obvious choice. It comes with some speed equipment. If not the 283 ci V-8 from the 1/24 Monogram '57 Chevy.