Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cannonball Run CBP 2012

slantasaurus

Ahhhhhhhhh !!!! People are building. I better get back to work on my Dart.

Zen, the conversion is coming along nicely.

Nick, the Merc looks great. I wasn't sure about the 2 tone paint at first but its starting to grow on me.

vw dave, I will add you to the list with your Merc.

Luna, I think Andy might have finished his 55 Chevy already, if not I know he was close to finished. Also, 08seal (Liam) finished his 50 Ford F1 a while back.

There are quite a few builders we haven't heard from in a while I wonder how they are doing..........

Myself, after posting pics after adjusting the wheelbase of the Dart I was looking at the pics and decided the front wheels looked like I moved them too far. While I was building it looked right but sometimes it takes looking at pictures of your builds to notice something is off. I've already started to move the K member forward 1mm which is still 1 mm back from its original location, I'm about half way through doing that. Since I'm off work tomorrow I should be able to finish that up. Then I still have to start on the interior........and finish the engine.......and paint everything............eh, 2 months should be plenty of time to finish it right at the wire.

Edited by slantasaurus

• 2 weeks later...

Luna, I think Andy might have finished his 55 Chevy already, if not I know he was close to finished. Also, 08seal (Liam) finished his 50 Ford F1 a while back.

No, I've been busy working and doing school. I haven't built models for a while now :(

However my '55 isn't that far from being finished. Mainly just needs BMF (which I hate doing with a passion).

I've been taking a little break from my Chrysler build, but I'm getting back to it later this week, when I don't have exams in the school anymore. Body is almost ready for primered and interior work needs to be started. Chassis is waiting for primering, too. So it's not forgotten and I will try to finish it by the deadline.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back!

2012-10-19062515.jpg

2012-10-19062432.jpg

The pics don't show it well but that there is Testors One Coat Lacquers - White Lightning, straight from the can over white Krylon primer. This is the first time I've used it and I must say I'm impressed. It has an excellent shine. After a couple days it's getting BMF'd and the flame decals from the Revell 49 Merc. Time to get moving on the interior. Looks like I'll be ready on race day guys. Some classic Detroit iron pushed by a Ford 390.

Who would have guessed primer would be a color base coat for anything. The color subtleties might be hard to make out in photos but you can see the pearlescent sheen. Looks like a beauty.

I've been off the bench the last three weeks while I help the GF whelp two litters of puppies. She's a nationally respected breeder and gives laborious care to their health and socialization and that often takes two people.

My plan had always been to fabricate a grill. Though tube grills were popular, I've never liked them and never considered it. I really was leaving room to put bullets in the corners. But the more I explored a fancy grill, the more it just seemed to clutter an already busy design. A mocked up tube grill just sang, so off we go.

GrillStart.jpg

A piece of plastic strip helped keep them spaced evenly.

GrillSpacing.jpg

The last two nights have been airbrush nights (a big production for me) and this is the final piece.

GrillDone.jpg

Here's the rest of the Alclad family. The room was dark behind me so it's reflecting a lot of dark.

AlcladParts.jpg

Remember when I thought this teal interior was so awesome and would go with gold perfectly? Well it DOESN'T! Though they're complimentary colors It's too bright and makes the whole car look like a jar of Jolly Ranchers.

InteriorPieces.jpg

Since the airbrush was going to be out, I muted the colors and tried a little harder to get it closer to the colors of the 1954 Olds F-85 concept car I've been using as an inspiration. It's aesthetically much more pleasant on the whole with the gold and ivory (still needs a little clean up).

InteriorRepainted.jpg

A quick shot of the engine compartment shot with gunmetal.

EngineCompPainted.jpg

Mike, this really is a treat to watch. Keep it goin'.

More work on the '49 interior (pics tonight). It is fighting me on every turn. Everything I do ends with a screw up and has to be done twice. I have to repaint the rear package shelf and working on my eyeball shift knob. I added photo etched door handles and window cranks with some model master clear only for it to yellow on the flat white door panels. This will most likely not end up being taken to any future contests. I'll just be happy when it's done.

Edited by Jantrix

Paint has been sprayed on the Dart !!! The Copenhagen blue that I used is darker than I expected, it almost looks black even in direct sunlight. I don't have pics yet because it is a Testors enamel and I'm not touching the body for several days until that stuff has time to harden up good. If I were to screw things up now I would have to strip everthing and start over with a different color because Testors doesn't even make Copenhagen blue anymore. I have a lot of BMFing in my future but it should really pop with this dark blue. Now I just have to tackle the interior.....and finish the chassis.....and the engine.....and scratchbuild a correct exhaust.....