Model Cars Magazine Forum

First build in years...

FASTBACK340

First build in years so I figured I'd start simple and sharpen my basic skills. I'm using a prepainted `58 Edsel as an expendable kit. I'll save the Mopars and rare stuff for when (If...) I get my chops back and build presentable stuff.

Here's the wheel choice mocked-up with the body. I see countless pictures of ideas like this on this forum. I plan on finishing mine...

ModelsEdsel007-vi.jpg

Here we have the disc brakes grafted onto the Edsel rearend after some minor detailing. Both the brakes and tire/rim combo came from the Copperhead concept car.

ModelsEdsel015-vi.jpg

Here's a built engine that was salvaged from a Revell `32 Ford that met an untimely demise (from a VERY HIGH shelf...) that has been detailed a bit.

ModelsEdsel008-vi.jpg

While no epic master-build, it IS a return to a hobby I love and miss dearly. As I practice cutting, filing, fitting, and gluing it together without paw-prints, I'll work up to the spray booth after a simple build or two.

Here we go....

You have no idea how jacked-up I am over this build. Although it's a prepainted piece, it's beautifully detailed. But there's always room for improvement.

I decided to add brake lines & bracketsI use a piece of hex-shaped Evergreen rod and drill a #72 hole in the center. After hitting it with a silver paint pen I trim it to lenght and there you go.... inexpensive hex fittings. Chuck a piece longer than needed in your Dremel and round the tip a bit and paint with clear tinted paint for AN fittings.ModelsEdsel2003-vi.jpgHere's a shot of the detailed rear end. I also added tire valves to the wheels.ModelsEdsel2004-vi.jpgMore to come....

Edited by FASTBACK340

I hate my computer.... it's being a little ***** when I edit. I loose my pictures!

Here's the Evergreen pic. from the previous post:

ModelsEdsel2003-vi.jpg

And here's the rear end/tires-wheels picture

ModelsEdsel2003-vi.jpg

Rich! Great to hear from you "GrandPa". How's the family? Amy says HI and we'll be at NNL East this year.

Maybe with a crappy glue-bomb in my pocket....

I got most of the chassis done. The rear is detailed, just have to set ride height. The front is done. I'm also going to use the kit engine as I'd have to modify the Revell piece too much. I want te to be a QUICK build....

ModelsEdsel3004-vi.jpg

ModelsEdsel3003-vi.jpg

ModelsEdsel3002-vi.jpg

Edited by FASTBACK340

John, I'm not sure what's happening, but here's your post again with the pics. Looking great!! B)

I got the disc brakes plumbed and the rear axle done. The front suspension is lowered and the wheels detailed.

ModelsEdsel3001-vi.jpg

I blacked out the back of the rotors and still have to establish ride height.

ModelsEdsel3002-vi.jpg

The front suspension is done except for a few minor details.

ModelsEdsel3003-vi.jpg

I've also realized modifying the old Revell small block would be too much work right now, so I'm going to strip a few items off of that and add it to the AMT engine.I'm also taking a few liberties, so you Ford guys calm down....

ModelsEdsel3004-vi.jpg

I'm enjoying this....

you have my attention :blink: ..........PLEASE continue ;)

Thanks Keith! I'm trying to roll along with this. My Wife is getting a kick out of watching me building again. She always has this fear I'm going have a car drop on me when I'm in the garage. Now all she has to worry about is the random x-acto puncture.Just resisting the urge to get too crazy too fast....

What's going on? I think my computer is possessed! When I preview the post I just see URL's for the Fotki site, so I re-submit it and it get's double posted. Sometimes...

I need to have the `puter flushed out.

John, are you using Fotki's "copied" URL in the image field when you click the image icon? Fotki has it now that when you hit the "share" button------there is a drop down menu of different URL's for different web formats. You want to use the first one for posting here.

I copied and pasted your original URL's into the image icon fields, and they showed up right away in the text box as I was typing.

Great job so far John!! Welcome back!!

Some may disagree with me, but it doesn't matter pre-painted or not.

Sometimes a quick build renews our enthusism for the hobby

What matters is that your building again!

The hobby is about having fun! So have fun forget, the politics.

You have added some great details.

I love those wheels with the Black and Red color combo!

Keep up the good work!

• 2 weeks later...

In a separate thread I explain how I do the speaker grills. Today we're planning on finishing the interior. Updates will follow later tonight.

EdselSpeakers005-vi.jpg

I've been so darn busy I haven't done much. I did get my Sirius radio boombox working in the hobby room. That should make it more user friendly