Model Cars Magazine Forum

Surf Boards?

Fridge magnets have always worked for me, especially when you consider that they are already finished with some cool graphics and are almost perfectly sized for 1/25th/24th scale models.

Here are some from a site called www.alohagiftsfromhawaii.com

Magnets are here.

http://www.alohagiftsfromhawaii.com/surfmagnet.html

Edited by 1320wayne

They are not really that hard to make. I made 3 of them from a plastic hubcap that came off my gas grill. I noticed it had the perfect curve. You can Google surfboards and find all kind of designs. Long boards, short boards, different fin styles, neat paint and maybe learn something along the way. Oh, and some nice bikinis.

Buy some 1/16th inch basswood, layer two sheets together, cut out shape and sand to your hearts content. Use a piece of sheet plastic for the fin. You can make a bunch boards for not much money.

The pics aren't about the board, but that's how I did this one.

DSCF0320.jpg

DSCF0321.jpg

G

This Ken guy (who happened to win the Revell/Gearz contest in the out of the box category) glued two paint stirrers together and just started sanding. I might have a pic of the surfboard from the MAGS show in Tampa a couple of months ago. Or maybe MAGS has pics up somewhere.

Scale Modeling By Chris has a set of 3 for $14.95 and includes some decals. I have them, and it appears the 2 large ones could be from the 31 sedan, while the small one looks like it came from Monogram's garbage truck.

heres the link, he's a good guy to do business with. http://www.scalemodelingbychris.com/automotive_resin_accessories7.htm

I like the stir stick idea! I can picture splitting one lengthwise, and glue in a thin strip of a dark wood. Any suggestions on type of wood? A moto tool would really help in roughing out the final shape.

0101121302.jpg

This kit has a nice sized surfboard and I want to add more so i used the board as a pattern and am in the process of making a copy out of balsa wood. Just traced it on a thick piece of balsa wood and when its shaped right I will add a piece of plastic for the fin.

0101121302a.jpg

0101121302b.jpg

0101121302c.jpg

Another view of the surfboard.

Here are some pics of a surfboard I have been working on. This particular shape was designed decades ago to ride big surf, 20', etc.

This one measures 7" long, 1 3/8" at it's widest point, and was about 1/2" thick when I started.

My son-in-law has been doing some major remodeling and I grabbed some scrap pieces.

I glued and clamped 7 pieces together and let it sit for 2 weeks (I work on an offshore drilling rig).

When I returned home, I downloaded a picture of the surfboard shape I wanted from a surfboard I found on E-Bay. I played around with the picture size until I had the size I wanted, traced the shape on my wood, my son-in-law held his belt sander upside down and I began shaping it. The tip was not bent, it was shaped by sanding away wood until I was satisfied with the basic shape and thickness. It did not take long with his belt sander. Next came the ole Emory board fingernail files.

I am still looking for the perfect wood for the fin. Then I will cut a small groove to attach the fin, stain it and cover it in Urethane.

This may sound complicated, but it not bad. My hardest part was picking the wood.

Hope this helps a bit.

SB001.jpg

SB002.jpg

SB003.jpg

SB007.jpg

SB009.jpg

SB008.jpg