Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bug-in and Lizard Rally!

whale392

The MCM Volkswagen/Porshe owners club is holding their first-ever Bug-in and Lizard Rally right on these very grounds. Open to all VW products and types (including VW powered kit cars like the Meyers Manx) as well as Porsche vehicles from all years/model ranges (including Porsche powered kit cars).

Registration opens now and goes indefinitely; show starts at registration. Prizes include the oohs and aahs from the community and passers-by. Sighn up now and enjoy the fun!

This CBP will also be open-ended, with no time restriction unless it is deemed needed. Bring on the VWs and Porsches!

gallery_8811_712_375138.jpgIve got a Polar Lights "Herbie" VW that I've been trying to figure out what to do with so I'm in. Maybe I'll do a volksrod?

Now where did I leave my box of time? Lol

Its okay to submit multiple builds I assume?

Edited by jcbigpaw

• 3 weeks later...

gallery_8811_712_249237.jpg

Here's the first mockup of my volksrod. I removed the fenders and front and rear aprons. Slammed the rear suspension and reversed the front suspension. This is pretty much what I'm looking to create. Still a lot of details to work out and I need to create inner fender panels.

Edited by jcbigpaw

• 4 weeks later...

Update on the Volksrod-

Haven't had much time to work on this but its coming together a little at a time. This build has also snowballed way beyond what I originally planned to do. The interior has been updated with racing style seats, a new shifter and fire extinguisher from the parts box as well as a scratch built roll bar. The foot controls were sanded smooth and drilled to look like after-market parts. I removed the rear seat and added a battery and box with cables to the rear floor board and a nitrous set-up with lines will be joining it soon.

gallery_8811_712_76439.jpg

The stock 40hp engine was not gonna turn those rear wheels good enough so I am building it up with dual four-barrel carbs, nitrous, remote oil filter and MSD ignition. All of this will be plumbed/wired. Lot of scratch building involved in that and I can't really finish my bodywork until it's done so I know if I need to remove more of the rear sheet metal to make room for the carbs.

gallery_8811_712_1395599.jpg

So here's where we stand

gallery_8811_712_43109.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

great idea

now, when you say VW powered would that include a plymouth duster with a audi R8 drivetrain?

just wondering ;)

Funny you mention an Audi R8... I was just thinking the other day about stuffing the drivetrain from one of those into a Hasegawa '67 Type II pickup... B)

Well, I think I'm onto something here...

1370006933_787332_1528025203_n-vi.jpg

This is Hasegawa's cubside '63 Bus kit. So far, I have lowered it, and added some Firestone Wide Ovals and 'Flipper' full wheels covers from an AMT '40 Ford Sedan delivery. The kit has no inner side panels of any kind, so I'll have to make some up- especially since I cut open the sliding sunroof, for reasons which now escape me. :wacko:

It will have a crusty finish- this will be fitted with a hitch and used to tow a Beetle-based Voksrod. The paint job is mostly complete as I type this, I'm just waiting for it to gas out a bit- it's a rusty black over yellow scheme. The rear liftgate was broken out, so I painted it green to indicate a junkyard replacement panel.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally found a few minutes for an update. Haven't had a lot of time to work on the volksrod but progress has been made.

Here's the engine installed in the pan. I've added an MSD ignition, spin on oil filter, oil dip stick, plug wires, throttle cable, nitrous and fuel lines and scratch built exhaust. Still need to put decal on oil filter.

gallery_8811_712_30342.jpg

Heres a look at what the rear will look like now that the body work is coming together.

gallery_8811_712_77255.jpg

And here's a current over-all shot. Shouldn't be too long to get into paint now.

gallery_8811_712_44279.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sweet stuff! The only concern I'd have is having the exposed carbs right next to the rear tires like that. To me, that's asking for trouble in a 1:1 ride. Would it be possible to add some shielding? But it looks great!

I gotta do one of these things some day... Corvair-powered, of course! :P

Edited by CorvairJim

well I suppose I'll bite...

I've started out with a die cast i got at the last show I went to, been meaning to modify it so I suppose this would be good cause.

Here's the base kit.

images.jpg

Stereotypically I painted like a hippie van, I just figure out how big a 2in brush would be in scale then basically when and hand painted some stuff. The stock die cast had a million shades of paint so I just sanded some to give it a recent body work look and used that as a base.

DSCN3130.jpg

DSCN3131.jpg

DSCN3132.jpg

DSCN3133.jpg

The kit came with a Porsche engine so I just detail painted it.

DSCN3134.jpg

It was really easy to lower this just had to drill some holes up higher, so far its been dropped a bit more than a 1/4 inch.

Stock:

DSCN3146.jpg

Lowered:

DSCN3135.jpg

I'd still like a it a bit lower but who know....

Anyway thanks for looking and I hope more people join this CBP

Thanks for the kind words Bob. I've had this build rattling around in my head for quite a while (years). The air cleaners are from two AMT 1950 Chevy truck kits (with the straight six). Carbs were a set of small four barrels I had in the parts box. Can't remember what they were from. :P

By the way Erik, good start on that van. Believe it or not I know someone that has his original "Woodstock" van on blocks in the garage still. Looks pretty similar. Lol

Edited by jcbigpaw

thanks guys, and jcbigpaw sorry i forgot to comment on your great volksrod, I'd love to have a bug like that except in a rat rod form,

I've made a bit of progress.

The roof is pretty boring stock:

DSCN3140.jpg

So I built a frame and then used tissue paper to added the fabric.

DSCN3142.jpg

Also decided to lower it a bit more, you can't really tell but there's a ton of negative camber in the back.

DSCN3150.jpg

The interior is next, the die cast was one plate, I cut this all apart and replaced the seats, to get more of a striped down look, then I added some supports, acting like this is a racing van.

Then it all got painted primer and weathered.

DSCN3153.jpg

DSCN3151.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Hippie