Model Cars Magazine Forum

UPS Parcel Truck

Workhorse bought out GM's P series chassis line, phased it out and started building their own chassis. We are a warranty dealer for them. Most likely that is a Workhorse chassis with a body built by another company.

The one that Chuck posted looks like the one that we service on an IH chassis. The body is built by Morgan-Olsen. IIRC the trucks are classed as 500's, 750's, and 1000's. It has to do with the size of the truck.

Also according to UPS they are not trucks, they are "package cars"

• 3 weeks later...

UPS33.jpg

Here's the overall look so far. There are more than 1000 rivets so far.

UPS34.jpg

Here's the interior. East to add details because it's so easy to work around. The partition between the cab and cargo area comes later.

UPS3.jpg

Another look at the front end. There will be a roll up rear door and sliding side doors.

UPS32.jpg

These began life as wheels on a New Ray 1/32 scale Peterbilt. I drilled out the toy wheel centers and added resin centers. The toy tires have real nice tread detail. These tires are smaller than an AMT big rig tire, but larger than my usual one ton tires. They are perfect for this application.

I will post more as I progress!

Workhorse bought out GM's P series chassis line, phased it out and started building their own chassis. We are a warranty dealer for them. Most likely that is a Workhorse chassis with a body built by another company.

I belive Utilimaster took over the body from Grumman. By the way, it looks fantastic.

Edited by Coned Tony

Amazing work!!!

The bodies are now made by Morgan-Olson.

I can get you some interior shots if you need them, and, as an fyi....the upper sides have a textured vinyl decal on them so that they don't scratch as easy.

Any help is appreciated. I've learned from my Clark station project just how helpful this board can be. There's a lot of knowledge out there!

Ok Tom I went back inti my memory ofvwhen I worked at ups years ago. The p80 that u are modeling had a fiberglass hood along with the roof being white fiberglass for daytime lighting as well as the roof cone above the driver. Pretty much everything above the top pf the drivers door line was fiber with the top body long stringer being the joint line. The vinyl dave mentioned on the p80 and its smaller sister the p50 protected the fiberglass at the top from trees and such. Most had vinyl on the backs as well, not sure if it was for looks or protection from scrapes as drivers are in and out pf thebtruck so often. Most p80 and p50 models were gmc powered. I will see if I can find any old photos when I get home if I can find any ill copy them and mark off what im talking about and I should know the status of the paint this week as well.

• 1 month later...