Model Cars Magazine Forum

UPS Parcel Truck

Personally Tom, i was just wonderin if ya got ENUFF rivits in that rascal!!! Jus kiddin, it looks FANTASTIC!!!! It comein out GREAT! :lol::D;)

I was gonna crack on a few rivets missing but then realized this build is way beyond my skills so I decided to refrain from that comment!

Nice project Tom, it is coming along nicely and should be beautiful when done.

very cool!! after owning a couple 300 six's id say theyd be the next best thing for a bread/postal truck, other than a 4bt cummins

Agreed. They weren't great on gas, they weren't very powerful, but if you wanted hundreds of thousands of miles of trouble-free service, a Ford 300 is the way to go. B)

Tom, not sure how 'purist' you'd like to keep this, but I'd vote for leaving the wheels brown. I rather like them that color. You could say this was a retired unit, and the private owner decided to paint the wheels brown as a personal touch. ;)

Agreed. They weren't great on gas, they weren't very powerful, but if you wanted hundreds of thousands of miles of trouble-free service, a Ford 300 is the way to go. B)

Tom, not sure how 'purist' you'd like to keep this, but I'd vote for leaving the wheels brown. I rather like them that color. You could say this was a retired unit, and the private owner decided to paint the wheels brown as a personal touch. ;)

Chuck, you've hit upon a point that has made this project so hard to research. UPS crushes all their trucks when they're used up, they never sell them. If I could find an older truck in a junkyard or something, this would have been a lot easier, but I'm told that situation never occurs. I like the brown wheels, too, but I don't know where I got the idea in my head that they WERE brown!

Untill you have changed some tires on them, you don't notice that the wheels are black instead of brown!!!.

No, they never sell them, or part them out. Even when they have to be towed, they try to cover up the markings.

Also, there are no other markings on a UPS vehicle, other than UPS fleet markings. Almost every new unit is special ordered without any emblems, or badges from the manufacturer. This is really noticable on their semi fleet.

Tom, check your email for pictures.

Edited by cargostar

UPS33.jpg

Here's the overall look so far. There are more than 1000 rivets so far.

UPS34.jpg

Here's the interior. East to add details because it's so easy to work around. The partition between the cab and cargo area comes later.

UPS3.jpg

Another look at the front end. There will be a roll up rear door and sliding side doors.

UPS32.jpg

These began life as wheels on a New Ray 1/32 scale Peterbilt. I drilled out the toy wheel centers and added resin centers. The toy tires have real nice tread detail. These tires are smaller than an AMT big rig tire, but larger than my usual one ton tires. They are perfect for this application.

I will post more as I progress!

Now this is one for the rivet counters. VERY NICE!!!! My brother inlaw started over 30yrs ago driving one of this and now drives OTR for them.

UPS trucks are like apple pie...ya just can't help but like them. :D

Great work. Like everyone else, I look forward to more updates.

New Ray is one of those few toy companies that seems to have a lot of parts fodder for us. They're usually cheap enough that there's no remorse in busting them up for just a couple things, and they put more detail/effort into things like wheels and tires than you find on most toys. I have pillaged a few of them over time now.

• 2 months later...