Model Cars Magazine Forum

My First 2012 model

mrm

This thing was painted some time ago, mostly as a painting exersize, trying masking flames. I had big plans for it, like superdetailing the engine and the chassis, plus making a custom interior for it. Then I got the itch to build it "right now" and went online and looked at the different parts I would need. I ordered them just few days ago and they are still on the way. But looking at the painted body got me somewhat aggrevated and made me think. This hobby is for my pleasure and relaxation, not the opposite. So I decided to sit down and make the model absolutely 100% box stock. Everything is exactly per the instructions and nothing from outside the box has been used. Not even a single decal, even the ones provided in the box. Everything is just the kit and paint.

The idea for the car itself was to build what I would have as a daily driver if I could afford anything I wanted. So I wanted a very traditional, yet very modern Deuce, that could haul my whole family of four in any weather. I don't think anything says Street rod more than a chopped '32 with flames over black rolling on american 5 spokes with small block Ford under the hood. Since it is a daily driver everything under the hood has been dechromed and color matched to the rest of the car. Same goes for the chassis. The finished model is EXACTLY what I would love to drive if I could afford one. And I believe it is a great testament to what an exceptional kit Revell's '32 series is.

dsc0530w.jpg

dsc0529fr.jpg

dsc0528cn.jpg

dsc0527l.jpg

dsc0540o.jpg

dsc0531fl.jpg

dsc0532je.jpg

I may still add the license plate at the rear, but have not decided yet.

Thank you guys. I had a lot fun building this and it made me realize again how much fun it is building something out of the box just for the fun of it.

Here are some more pictures

dsc0539js.jpg

dsc0538dr.jpg

dsc0537m.jpg

dsc0536uw.jpg

dsc0535k.jpg

dsc0534e.jpg

dsc0533pz.jpg

Thank you for looking

The flames realy grab your eye. The level of detail without useing anything else is amazing

Thanks again everyone.

Espo, That was exactly how I fell. This model has great detail straight out of the box. Photoetched grilles and wires and hoses are all cool, but this thing is plenty good even without them. Maybe just add a wired distributor and some hardware on the doors inside, as they forgot to put anything. There are no armrests, window cranks or door handles of any sort. This is probably the only gripe I have about the model. (and maybe the lack of third member on the rear end)

Edited by mrm

Nice clean looking build. You are right it is nice right out of the box. I think the dechroming definitely helped and the flames are fantastic. I could never get the kit flames to contour the fenders the way you did even using setting solution, or is that really paint? Nice! It use to upset me when guys would tell me I had to start wiring my engines. I told them I would start gluing my hoods down. I got over it but, you are right , it should be about pleasure, relaxation and having fun. I always say, " nice work!" but, it really shouldn't have to feel like work. I would be happy driving this, who wouldn't?

The flames are paint guys. No decals. The whole model was sprayed Duplicolor acryl flat black and then the masked off flames were sprayed white primer, gloss white, two different yellows, orange and red in that order. All the flames colors are Tamiya spray cans through an airbrush. Everything is then sealed under PPG polyurethane clear and when cured it is wetsanded and buffed and polished.

Next there are going to be a pair of fenderless Deuces- one coupe and one roadster that are also going to be flamed, but are going to be like yin and yeng. One silver with purple flames and the other purple with silver flames. They are definitely not going to be box stock however.

Edited by mrm

Thank you guys. I had a lot fun building this and it made me realize again how much fun it is building something out of the box just for the fun of it.

Here are some more pictures

dsc0535k.jpg

Thank you for looking

I agree Michael - I build out of box to get new ideas and come down from the last detailed built. Its important to get new energy - my opinion.

The front angle is my favorite - the paintjob with the flames are awesome! Perfect from my view.