Model Cars Magazine Forum

57 chevy belair amt custom

donkeypuncher76

i was given this kit as a gift and not wanting to say"can we exchange it?" as alot of ingrates do. I figured since my mom was a product of 1957 maybe i'll build here 1. but when i saw how bad the mold is and flash.etc... lotsa nice chrome suspension parts thought if ur lookin for donors,, lala yesterday I had an idea while waiting around for other kits 2 dry etc..(disabled ;cancer 2 much time). Idecided to shave the big chrome off the sides, cut vent windows and while looking, have this idea of cutting the fins out ......."."round trunck lines, i slim chrome moulding, buckets, with a 283 or maybe a hemi. lol whew. I am now banned for babbling models r my drug n w/o it 4 soIMG_20120104_070528.jpg long, i'm hooked again.ideas???????(on car lol)

It's funny you posted this, this is what I'm currently working on. SO if it's ok I'll tjrow my stuff up here for some ideas for you.

photo2-3.jpg

photo1-3.jpg

photo-2.jpg

I cut out the trunk after smoothing all the lines. Going to drop the fuel cell and battery back there. Probably going to pull another 572 from vcg resins, or maybe a RG rat trap.

I'm torn between making it a lowrider cruiser with custom wheels, or a street/strip sort of thing with rear slicks and old rims.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

ok, so the last time i posted the mother board went out and couldn't type any vowels, even with voice typing. just got a new one and nice digital camera yay. and i just finished moving the w/s frame cracked during move im thinking of a sportster look for the that now, if any has seen overhaulin episode where they did the 56 4 door into a 2door for wyotech many years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, this is really different. Of the hundreds of custom '57 Chevys I've seen, real and model I have never seen someone lop off the fins. This is really cool. It gives the car a whole new identity. It in effect backdates the design five to ten years. Keep it up! One thing you may want to consider is removing the eyebrows over the headlights. That would help balance the new look. I'm looking forward to see how this one turns out.

• 2 weeks later...

well im forgeting how to load photos, but the body is all but done, the frame was left to a candel at dinner which made it a lil bent along with the 71 cuda rear axel and leafs i used, they fit almost excat by the way for any1 looking for sus. help and i mean only the rear hanger was 1/16 short from mounting in factory hole.. so i tried 2 make a whole new axel set with factory leafs just need to splice pumpkin in and finish interior, and paint, thinking black,low, and pearlgreen top, using custom body line as divider, with white.green interior with black carpet, lala, injected 350 from ss monte, and... jus need to remeber how to load from p.b. thx guys, btw did think of shaving headlights bro but since its been ages from mt styrene addictiction i figure this is enough b/w. happy mothers day momma hope u like it.DSCF0407.jpgDSCF0397.jpgDSCF0403.jpgDSCF0396.jpg

Edited by donkeypuncher76

nIMG_20120429_204856-1.jpgmIMG_20120429_204918.jpg,IMG_20120429_204856-1.jpg the lower was 2 be forrest green metalic but we'll see how it ends up., BTW! that testors 1 coat laquer is the best rattle can junk evvvvver...lays good sprays ok, but it just sticks, need to find some differant flockin, I tried the 12 pack of martha&())(* from the craft store, lovvvvve the way it lays out compared to the testors but hate the glittr in it. thx james

• 1 month later...

Set back, on frame get warped due to setting next to candle, working out new rearend too, ify on interior since dark green fade to lime ice didn't workout, black with chrome separator seems good, almost there, back glass actually fits perfectly in body/dash slot when assembled..IMG_20120617_151117.jpgIMG_20120617_151048.jpgIMG_20120617_151100.jpgIMG_20120429_204904-1.jpgIMG_20120429_234843.jpgDSCF0406.jpg thanks for any ideas and thoughts.