Model Cars Magazine Forum

2012 is now here and I decided I better get going on a new fresh build. I picked up the old 1940 Ford Pickup which is an old tooling repop. The kit sure shows its age with molded in exhaust, pleated interior panals, and an old school engine. I decided to update this build kitbashing several parts from the 1937 Ford Good Guys kit. I stole the wheels, engine, interior panels, and complete chassis from the 37 kit.

I have started test fitting parts together and have built the chassis to see how it lines up with the body of the truck. It looks like I will need to extend the frame a little to line up the wheel properly.

I am removing the louvers from the hood. I prefer the a smooth look.

DSCN0607.jpg

Lots of filling to do on the inside of the truck bed.

DSCN0609.jpg

I picked up the most recent repop of this kit a few weeks back and when I got it home and started test fitting it together, I became so frustrated with it I threw it back in the box and it sits on my shelf. Being that its 1:24 scale I should've known better that its an old, old Monogram tooling...

Some more test fitting and customizing took place.

I had to reduce the width of both front and back axles to get the tires to fit inside the fenders. I also had to widen the wheel well around the front fenders so the tires fit and could turn corners.

DSCN0610.jpg

I went a little overboard on the passenger side fender so a little patch work was required.

DSCN0611.jpg

I made a little template from the dirvers side fender and reconstructed the passenger side from sheet styrene and green putty.

After a little shaping and sanding the damaged fender is taking shape. I'll do a little more shaping to remove flat parts of the wheel well lip once the primer has dried. I was ready to go and pickup another doner kit for the front fenders but I think this is turning out OK. I'll need to do a little more filling and shaping on the driver side as well.

As for the box of the truck, it fit together really well. no issues there at all. The cab of the truck also sits well in the chassis.

DSCN0612-1.jpg

This is a fun kit to work on.

Thanks Ian. I was on a bit of a roll with this kit but I am now sidelined with gout. I started to feel it coming on this morning and by early afternoon was completely down and in pain. I have been taking anti-inflamatory pills from the Doctor and it is starting to feel a little better. I hope to be back at the modelling bench tomorrow.I'd really like to get the front fenders completed and finish up the rolling chassis. To make the truck a little more up to date I am considering robbing a 4.6L from a Mustang kit. I think that would be cool.

Hey Rob. I feel ya on the gout. I know what you mean about it striking all in one day. It's really hard to work on anything when it feels like there are a million shards of glass grinding at your wrist bones. Hope the flair up goes away soon for the sake of being pain free and getting back to this one.

Hey Rob. I feel ya on the gout. I know what you mean about it striking all in one day. It's really hard to work on anything when it feels like there are a million shards of glass grinding at your wrist bones. Hope the flair up goes away soon for the sake of being pain free and getting back to this one.

Thanks Ken,

It is funny how hard gout can hit. That is a good way to describe how it feels. I have had flair ups before but this one takes the cake for the pain. The pills are working now so I am hoping to be back at the bench tomorrow.

FEEL BETTER PILLS A !!!!,....hummmmmmm,...No i better not ask,..Been clean no of 7 years,..and I feel better now then I ever have,...lol....lol....

But I hope you feel better soon as well Rob,...NO WORRIES

Ian

Not that kind of feel better drugs. lol

I am sanding like a madman on this project. I am covered in styrene but it is really starting to come together. Will post pictures later tonight or tomorrow AM.

Well, I started routing around the stash this afternoon to find a 4.6L GT Mustang that would be a donor kit and came across an 07 Shelby Mustang with a 5.4L supercharged engine.

Sorry Mr. Shelby, but I stole your enging for this project.

How about a Shelby 1940 Ford Pickup sir?

What this Rob !,..almost COMPLETELY OF THE PAGE,..lol...lol,,,come on buddy Your slippin' here,....Just keeping an Eye out for you is all my freind,..

And Watch the Pittsburgh and Denver Wild Card game as well, at the same time...lol...lol.

Ian

I am watching the game right now. Pittsburg just tied the game up at 23.

Well, it's been a few days since the last update. I have been sanding, filing, and shaping the fenders and now feel I have what I want.

DSCN0617.jpg

I decided to open the doors suicide using Rommel's tutorial on how to build the hinges. Working away at that today. Lots of filling is required to remove the old notches designed for the hinges at the front of the door. I also removed the think trim piece molded into the door. I am really going for a smooth look on this puppy.

DSCN0616.jpg

Also you will see the block for the new 5.4L engine sitting under the hood.

The only other idea I am toying with is chopping the roof. I haven't done this before and may wait until a future build when my skills are a little more refined.

Rob