Model Cars Magazine Forum

2012 POST APOCALYPSE/ZOMBIE HUNTER COMMUNITY BUILD

Dr. Cranky

Here's my final build pics for this thing.

P1000629-vi.jpg

P1000602-vi.jpg

Interior shot, or use the interior shot from when the interior wasn't in the car, if you want to see more of the details. This shot shows the lining hanging from the roof, while the other doesn't.

And yup, that's the driver in there!

Ok thats it won t be able to sleap to night after seeing that mosterzombicar. Allmost soked my pants man :) No reaylly nice build.

Edited by patami

Mark, like you, I am dying to find out how the results turn out. I know you will post a picture. I have that rusting system, but I've never used it on a model because it has always looked a bit too thick, and I would not spray it through the airbrush.

Keep us posted.

I actually brush painted the iron stuff on and misted on the rusting solution with a squirt bottle. No airbrush needed!

I use that rusting stuff on a lot of my dioramas and custom figures, works great!

Never thought of putting it in a plastic bag however. I will have to employ this method when I paint up the Chuck Wagon.

Cranky, you must have missed this a ways back. I am re-thinking the tires now. I know it's nothing right now, but I am going slow

IMG_0706.jpg

Wow, everyone staking no prisoners here. Great work and the inspiration continues to roll.

Hey, Andy, that first picture is a little blurry, my friend, and I really want to enjoy a clear snapshot of that camo paint job. The gun is pure eye candy. Can you post a new pic?

Rob, that interior looks perfect and cruddy, just the way we like it!

While I think you are the king of weathering, I feel the van is lacking some color. I am hoping you plan on adding some?? It just seems way too washed out to me. I know years in a PA world things will fade, but this is almost bone white.

I see a bit of color on the hood, but everything is the same color otherwise.

I love it, so don't be mad.....lol

While I think you are the king of weathering, I feel the van is lacking some color. I am hoping you plan on adding some?? It just seems way too washed out to me. I know years in a PA world things will fade, but this is almost bone white.

I believe earlier on he mentioned the color scheme being an urban camo type.

With weathering and rusting, the definition of the camo becomes less apparent, so it looks washed out and slightly muddled.

Just thought i would help clear that up. :)

Jamie, thanks for speaking your mind. I feel a little bit like you do, but rest assured in person this thing's got lots of color. I was almost tempted to add a different color to a door panel or something, until I realized that this type of vehicle probably would have been cobbled together from all the different parts and THEN painted in camo out on the field.

Let me see if i can add more of a hint of color here and there. Again, I appreciate the input.

Rob, thanks buddy, but Jamie's point is really circling inside my head. I almost feel like maybe if the harpoon gun had a bit of color to it, that might do it. I'll mull it over tonight while I work on weathering the chassis, and maybe the light bulb will go off my tomorrow morning.

Again, thank you all and stay tuned in for more progress.

Awesome, thanks for posting that. I'm going to go look for some this week and give it a try myself. Looks like it might be just the thing I could use for some rustyness!

Alright so this is the product I got at one of the hobby/craft places.

1c86a0e0.jpg

It comes as a kit.

Basically the first part is an iron solution. Shake it extremely well and pour into a container. I did a couple things with the model. First, I got the Dremel out and buzzed the inside of the fenders until it started poking holes through to get the rust holes. I then dotted super glue to get the visual of surface rust bubbling up. Once the body was where I wanted it, I brushed the entire car with the iron stuff. Apparently it has real iron particles in it.

The second part is the rust stuff. It looks like window cleaner and the consistency of water. I put it in a squirt bottle set to fine mist and generously coated both inside and outside of the body. The part of me putting it in the plastic bag is so the stuff would condensate and not evaporate. I am not keeping it under a heat lamp so it will keep the moisture in the bag and help with the oxidation process.

To say the least I can't wait to see the end result after a full 24 hours! And this is before the application of other rusting treatments!

I have rust paint, mig pigments light and medium rust, tamiya rust powder, and I might even do an oil based wash to bring out some texture. I can't wait.

Oh, and to answer that last question, I plan on dull coating afterwards just in case.

here's an update on the rust.

i moved it to the zip lock bag so i can seal the rusting stuff in there.

i figure i'll let it soak another 4 hours or so and remove it and continue from there.

DSC03510.jpg

DSC03511.jpg

once the rust is out, i will be doing some more dry brushing with some other rust. once the rust stuff is done, then i'll try the salting technique and get some more texture in it and paint.

Any thoughts on color?

Edited by wgflatliner