Model Cars Magazine Forum

1954 Buick Wildcat II ( no guts, no glory )

trogdor

• 2 months later...

Nice work indeed and an interesting part of GM history.....you are a real craftsman!!!

If Harley Earl had his way in the fifties.... this car would have supplanted the Corvette and Zora Duntov would not have been hired or he would have been fired after a year or two as chief design engineer for the Corvette.....(he nearly was!!!)..... this car would have failed in the long run (as the Corvette nearly did in '54).... and GOK what we would be driving now!!!!

Just my two cents from a Corvette sick-o... 1:1 & little....

Regards

Bill (Duntov)

• 1 month later...

Congratulations to the brave project ! I enjoyed how fine you curved the mold for vakuum forming. I made similar way my Chevrolet XP 700 model. The difference is only that I needed remove the very end of the front of a Corvette 1962 model only. I replaced it with a block of wood and after than curved the shape. A late advice: I use for such molds (and nearly to all curvings) linden wood - there is nearly no wood graining. You get a perfect surface after fine sanding and rather easy to curve too.

I shall follow your work because the Wildcat II is one of my popular concept car !