Model Cars Magazine Forum

K-Mart has lost another customer.

Today I stoped my my local K-Mart to pick up some sears quick and easy enamal primer.I got a can and was checking out when they guy behind the counter said that I had to have an adult with me to by the paint because he wasn't going to sell it to a child,He also wasn't very nice about it either.I asked why and intead of calling it spay paint he said it was an inhalent,I told him that I build model cars and need that primer to get my paint to stick to my cars,I also offerd to show him a picture of one of my models.He then told me to come to the store next time with adult supervision and then I said to him,"Keep the can,I will buy products elsewhere where I am a customer,Not a child".I plan on never steping into that K-Mart again,They couldn't have one of my hard earned penny's if they paid me.Not five minutes later I bought two cans of the same stuff from a Roses down the street where I was refered to as sir.I told then thankyou and that I will be back for more primer soon.

They did that to me at my Local Dollar Store and Wally-World. I'm 12 and can step in my LHS without an adult and buy as much spray paint as I want!!! Not Wally-World, they told me one time when I asked for an explaination "This paint could be inhaled and used in a manor that defeats it's intended purpose." I told them they could keep their can of paint.

Also the odd thing is that this is the first time a store has told me this.I have bought Krylon paint from Wal-mart,and once from o'rielys.I have also bought other paint form places like hobby lobby,and my LHS,Some times they CALL me and tell me when paint is in.

<p style="text-align: center">It is pretty common, here in IL I think you have to be 18 to buy spray paint and in Chicago they outlawed selling spray paing at least 15 years ago. If I want to buy paint I have to go to a suburb to get it.....and from where I live that is only 4 blocks away, but those are the laws here.</p>

I'd imagine that your local LHS' tend to know most of their paints were going for modeling purposes. After all, would you pay $5.50-$7.00 a can for the little cans of hobby paint when you can go to a big box store and buy a huge can for no more money and have that much more to get high from?

Ya'all need to try buying a can of spray paint in most metropolitan areas of California . Darn near need a perscription from a California doctor ............... Ed Shaver

Thats' like everything else in California,Gun laws,car laws,emision laws,It's crazy over there.

<p style="text-align: center">It is pretty common, here in IL I think you have to be 18 to buy spray paint and in Chicago they outlawed selling spray paing at least 15 years ago. If I want to buy paint I have to go to a suburb to get it.....and from where I live that is only 4 blocks away, but those are the laws here.</p>

Didn't know you couldn't get that in Chicago Ron, I know down in Aurora that if you find a store that actually carries spraypaint, it's locked up and you need an employee to get it for you! IIRC, it's been like that for at least a decade now..............

I'd imagine that your local LHS' tend to know most of their paints were going for modeling purposes. After all, would you pay $5.50-$7.00 a can for the little cans of hobby paint when you can go to a big box store and buy a huge can for no more money and have that much more to get high from?

Well I understand that but theres a diff. between the way a drugie looks and the was a normal high schooler looks.Also it's wasn't the age that angered me it was his attitude,If your going to work a job that requires constant customer interaction at least be somewhat nice so the customer doesn't get as angry.

Guest Johnny

They did that to me at my Local Dollar Store and Wally-World. I'm 12 and can step in my LHS without an adult and buy as much spray paint as I want!!! Not Wally-World, they told me one time when I asked for an explaination "This paint could be inhaled and used in a manor that defeats it's intended purpose." I told them they could keep their can of paint.

I may just be store policy to cut their liability!

BUT!! If it is a state or local law your LHS could be in for a very rude and costly surprise in the near future!

Well I understand that but theres a diff. between the way a drugie looks and the was a normal high schooler looks.Also it's wasn't the age that angered me it was his attitude,If your going to work a job that requires constant customer interaction at least be somewhat nice so the customer doesn't get as angry.

As somebody who's been in retail for nearly two decades, that's easier said than done, especially at this time of year. This was a big box store and he likely delt with people ranging from reasonable and friendly to ones who were all but out for blood in their Christmas shopping, and had been dealing with them for a couple months straight. I worked for a local Toy's "R"Us for 5 years and after that first Christmas, I worked overnights for the last 4 Christmas' I worked there.

Edited by Joe Handley

snapback.pngAustin T, on 07 January 2012 - 03:51 PM, said:

Thats' like everything else in California,Gun laws,car laws,emision laws,It's crazy over there.

Don't forget the cancer over there!

California really isn't such a bad place. I don't know how some of you think it's a bad thing to want our citizens to be healthy and safe. So it creates a little difficulty some times in getting things, you get used to it. ;)

Guest Johnny

Maybe that jackwagon should have a CDL to drive his car. After all it is full of hazardous materials. Like Anti-freeze and gasoline!

He could have been a bit more eloquent on how he said it, but then we are only hearing one side of the story and that is from a young ticked off customer. So I'd take it with a grain of salt. :lol:

But don't kill the messenger for delivering a message that he had nothing to do with writing!

He didn't make the rule.

At the risk of going political the problem is with the government deciding they need care for us because they're obviously smarter than the individual citizen- theaverage person obviously being incapable of taking care of himself or being responsible to make a good decision

A lot of states have laws stating you have to be 18 years and older, its that way in Arizona, from what I am finding doing a search, the state you are in does not have the age law , but I could be wrong.

Yes it sucks, but the store may have a policy regarding the sale to minors, maybe next time try a different cashier and see if they will sell it to you, or even maybe try and talk to the store manager.

I think alot of the laws pertaining to spray paint, is try and stop graffiti, that's why the law was passed here in AZ, so if you want to get mad at anyone, get mad at the ( bad word goes here) taggers

Edited by martinfan5

Around here selling spray paint to anyone under 18 is illegal.

Don't blame the clerk, he didn't make the law. Blame the kids who buy spray paint and use it to get high or to vandalize other people's property. They're the ones that caused the law to be written.

He could have been a bit more eloquent on how he said it, but then we are only hearing one side of the story and that is from a young ticked off customer. So I'd take it with a grain of salt. :lol:

But don't kill the messenger for delivering a message that he had nothing to do with writing!

He didn't make the rule.

Yup, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was somebody who'd been putting up with consumer nonsense all day and K-Mart and/or the local government could have some serious punishment in place for those that do. Would you risk your job and/or a nasty ticket by selling to a kid buying paint? This isn't exactly the economy to have either happen in, especially some who probably doesn't make much more that minimum wage.