Model Cars Magazine Forum

K-Mart has lost another customer.

I know enforcing these crazy laws sometimes can be frustrating but it was no reason to speak down to Austin. What the employee of that store isn't considering is Austin will be an adult soon and will now have this bad experience to remember. Austin, i would consider going to the store with one of your parents and talking to the manager about how you were treated.

I know this is OT but it is similar.

I went to a Zellers store and saw the box set of the Band of Brothers on sale. I grabbed one and went up to the cash register to pay. The girl at the cash couldn`t have been more than 18 or 19 and she asked me for ID. I guess this product requires the purchaser to be 18 or older. I am 46. I laughed my head off as I pulled me drivers license out of my wallet.

Guest Johnny

At the risk of going political the problem is with the government deciding they need care for us because they're obviously smarter than the individual citizen- theaverage person obviously being incapable of taking care of himself or being responsible to make a good decision

I know here even Hobby Lobby will not sell spray paint to a minor. In fact the last LHS that closed would not either. So it may be an ordinance or state law here! I know WalMart has the same rule in place as my wife had it on a CBL test.

But as to the government intrusion, well minors do not have any real rights on things like this. (can't buy alcohol either)

I do know they banned the sale of spray paint for a short time due to a huge graffiti problem as well as a "huffing" problem among school age kids but determined it wasn't as wide spread as first thought. But that is not the case in some places!

The problem is real and it is deadly! I know first hand from trying to revive a 12 year old kid with his face full of paint!

If the government was saying adults can't buy then I have an issue with it!

I know enforcing these crazy laws sometimes can be frustrating but it was no reason to speak down to Austin. What the employee of that store isn't considering is Austin will be an adult soon and will now have this bad experience to remember. Austin, i would consider going to the store with one of your parents and talking to the manager about how you were treated.

I know this is OT but it is similar.

I went to a Zellers store and saw the box set of the Band of Brothers on sale. I grabbed one and went up to the cash register to pay. The girl at the cash couldn`t have been more than 18 or 19 and she asked me for ID. I guess this product requires the purchaser to be 18 or older. I am 46. I laughed my head off as I pulled me drivers license out of my wallet.

That could have been her attempt to be funny, or the store could have had a card everybody rule. I used to work for a drug store chain called Osco Drug and by Y2K, they had enough problems getting caught selling alcohal and cigs to minors working for the cops that they made the cashiers card everybody, didn't matter if they actually looked to young or were obviously well beyond 18/21 years of age, they would even refuse to sell smokes to somebody buying for their own kid who was of age but didn't have an ID with them to buy their own. Last year or so I had been at TRU, Nintendo releasted a N64 game called "Conker's Bad Fur Day" and that was so bad that that if we did sell a copy to a minor, we lost oyr jobs on the spot!

Edited by Joe Handley

There are three sides to every story, his side, the store employees side, and the truth, nobody is coming down on him, the store was doing what they have to do. We are just trying to explain to him why it happened, and I can understand his frustration, and it sucks, heck, I am in my 30's and I still get carded for things, I think I was carded last year for spray paint

I bought a can of compressed air (for cleaning cameras etc.) at a Target a while back and had to show my licence to be scanned for their records. (Im 37 too.) I never noticed the bar code on the back of my licence.

I am suprised someone found model paint in a Roses. The local one has none, except for the big cans of store brand paint.

I bought a can of compressed air (for cleaning cameras etc.) at a Target a while back and had to show my licence to be scanned for their records. (Im 37 too.) I never noticed the bar code on the back of my licence.

I am suprised someone found model paint in a Roses. The local one has none, except for the big cans of store brand paint.

Yea, that stuff an be huffed too, basically cut off the oxygen supply to the brain causing that high effect.

I may be mistaken, but isnt the compressed air more dangerous then spray paint,

The point I am trying to say is NOT the age restriction,Just the cashiers bad attitude.If I go to purchase a product from some one I don't want a bad attitude about a restriction or a question.Also someone alluded to how itslike selling alcohal to minors.How is it remotly like selling alcohal to minors?Two completly diff. subjects.

Not at all, bottle and spray paint, thinners, model glues and cements, and canned air can all cause a "high" just like drugs and alcohol can. Did you give the cashier any kind of attitude, give somebody an attitude and you will get it back, no matter what they do for a job.

While I was still at Walmart I keyed in the birthdate from the id no matter how old you were or looked. If the product called for id you were showing me your ID I don't care if you were 8 or 80. I wasn't getting busted for selling to someone underage. My wife got popped at the store she worked in for not carding a kid that looked old enough. Here the Law recruits kids to go into stores to try to purchase such things. I even carded a man in his 60s once for a tube of superglue. Wasn't gonna be no saying I did wrong

From someone who used to work at Sears/Kmart, it is company policy not to sell paint to minors, due to the many states that have laws against selling paint to minors. THEY WILL LOOSE THIER JOBS IF CAUGHT DOING SO! So suck it up and have your parents go with you or buy it for you. Life is not always fair and that won't change when you turn 18, sorry.

Gosh, lucky you. I would have been flattered out of me shoes. I wasn't asked for my ID in 30 years. I'm 47. That's just soooo unfair.

From someone who used to work at Sears/Kmart, it is company policy not to sell paint to minors, due to the many states that have laws against selling paint to minors. THEY WILL LOOSE THIER JOBS IF CAUGHT DOING SO! So suck it up and have your parents go with you or buy it for you. Life is not always fair and that won't change when you turn 18, sorry.

Congress has yet gave us someing else to knock us young folk for. <_<

I was wondering that, seems like a good reason to refuse to me.

I'm learning a lot here. I had no idea that spray paint was an issue, but I can certainly see why.

Obviously, the clerk should have been polite to Austin.

On the other hand, if I got upset every time a clerk was less than pleasant to me, I would have to make a second career for complaining about it. In your case, I would chalk it up to your age. As you get older, you will learn not to take these things personally. It really doesn't matter what his/her reason was, it happened then, and sure as the sun will rise tomorrow, it will happen again. Just let it roll off your back. Just roll your eyes, and move on.

Interesting conversation. I never realized that buying paint was getting to be a problem like this. Of course I'm at an age where they wouldn't be asking me to prove my age, more likely they'd be asking if I was eligible for a seniors discount, but here in Canuck land all spray paint is openly available on the shelves and I've never seen anyone questioned or refused paint. On trips to both North & South Dakota every summer I usually pick up a years supply of some of the paint lines I can't find at home and have never been questioned there.

I can see the day when many of the products that we take for granted in our hobby today won't be available because of environmental concerns. I hope that I'll have been forced, by age, to give up the hobby by then.

rob

You have to be 21 to by spray paint in WV?, You know what I find funny is how a lot of people are blaming the government, when in reality its the taggers that caused the age restriction on spray paint. And thats what the signs here in AZ clearly state, to help fight against tagging.