Model Cars Magazine Forum

K-Mart has lost another customer.

Let's face it. If a kid under 18 wants to get high on a can of paint they are going to find a way to get it. Just like they do now when they want booze or drugs. I am sure we have all tasted the forbidden nectar before we were of age.

As far as those who are tagging or vandalizing. Punish them. Why should a good kid like Austin not be able to spend his time building a model because of a few idiots out there. Turning 18 or 21 doesn't change everyone. Most who are up to no good at a younger age are still up to no good at the legal age.

The clerk at K-mart had no right to treat Austin the way he did. I think the store should be made aware of how this clerk is treating customers. Austin is a customer regardless of his age.

A customer who was trying to buy something that he could not legally buy.

And I'm not sure what you mean by the clerk having no right to treat him the way he did. The original post:

Today I stoped my my local K-Mart to pick up some sears quick and easy enamal primer.I got a can and was checking out when they guy behind the counter said that I had to have an adult with me to by the paint because he wasn't going to sell it to a child,He also wasn't very nice about it either.I asked why and intead of calling it spay paint he said it was an inhalent,I told him that I build model cars and need that primer to get my paint to stick to my cars,I also offerd to show him a picture of one of my models.He then told me to come to the store next time with adult supervision and then I said to him,"Keep the can,I will buy products elsewhere where I am a customer,Not a child".I plan on never steping into that K-Mart again,They couldn't have one of my hard earned penny's if they paid me.Not five minutes later I bought two cans of the same stuff from a Roses down the street where I was refered to as sir.I told then thankyou and that I will be back for more primer soon.

Not sure I see that the clerk did anything wrong here.

Let's face it. If a kid under 18 wants to get high on a can of paint they are going to find a way to get it. Just like they do now when they want booze or drugs. I am sure we have all tasted the forbidden nectar before we were of age.

As far as those who are tagging or vandalizing. Punish them. Why should a good kid like Austin not be able to spend his time building a model because of a few idiots out there. Turning 18 or 21 doesn't change everyone. Most who are up to no good at a younger age are still up to no good at the legal age.

The clerk at K-mart had no right to treat Austin the way he did. I think the store should be made aware of how this clerk is treating customers. Austin is a customer regardless of his age.

AGREED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am going to say this again, there are three sides to every story, and we are only hearing one side of it, do we really know that the employee was rude to him, no we dont, he is upset that he was not allowed to buy the paint. So lets not jump all over the empolyee that was doing his job, following store poliecy, and or a state law.

I have seen first hand how peolpe act when they can not buy what they want becasus of their age, and I will tell you what, they get upset and take it out on you, not saying this is case, but I dont think that the employee was rude to him for no reason.

A customer who was trying to buy something that he could not legally buy.

And I'm not sure what you mean by the clerk having no right to treat him the way he did. The original post:

guy behind the counter said that I had to have an adult with me to by the paint because he wasn't going to sell it to a child,He also wasn't very nice about it either.

Not sure I see that the clerk did anything wrong here.

Austin says the clerk wasn't very nice about it. I understand that as he was rude to Austin.

My other point is about the senseless law. If a kid wants to get a can of paint they will get it. Any kid that is going to get spray paint to get high on will do whatever they have to do to get it. Marijuana is illegal, kids still get it.

Rob

Austin says the clerk wasn't very nice about it. I understand that as he was rude to Austin.

My other point is about the senseless law. If a kid wants to get a can of paint they will get it. Any kid that is going to get spray paint to get high on will do whatever they have to do to get it. Marijuana is illegal, kids still get it.

Rob

Austin says the clerk wasn't very nice. We don't know what the clerk actually did, do we? You are assuming that what Austin says is exactly how it happened, but the fact is, you don't know that.

And your second point is absurd. Yes, a kid who wants to break the law will reak the law. So your answer is, we get rid of all the laws? :blink:

Since a person who wants to steal a car will steal a car, we make stealing cars legal?

Well its sad that law can not make exceptions for the good people in world, but it is what is, and its place to help stop the use of it in illegal ways. Yes people will find ways to get what they want

I am taking the clerks side on this, he did what he had to do to protect himself, now if he was rude, then that is uncalled for, but none of us know that for a fact.

Edited by martinfan5

Well its sad that law can not make exceptions for the good people in world, but it is what is, and its place to help stop the use of it in illegal ways. Yes people will find ways to get what they want

The law has no way of knowing who the "good people" are and who the lawbreakers are.

The point I am trying to say is NOT the age restriction,Just the cashiers bad attitude.If I go to purchase a product from some one I don't want a bad attitude about a restriction or a question.Also someone alluded to how itslike selling alcohal to minors.How is it remotly like selling alcohal to minors?Two completly diff. subjects.

Harry, I am not assuming anything. Austin mentions this throughout this thread.

The law has no way of knowing who the "good people" are and who the lawbreakers are.

Yes I know, I was trying to be nice in what I wanted to say, and you said what I was wanting to say a few post back. The law is the way it is, like it or not, and it wont really matter to them when they turn 18.

If anyone is at fault here, it's not the K-mart clerk who was doing his job... it"s the clerk at the other store who illegally sold spray paint to a minor.

I am surprised it took this long for that part to be brought up, so we have a teen who is mad that one clerk would not break the rules for him, but finds one that will, so then comes on here to complain about the so called " rude Kmart employee"

If anyone is at fault here, it's not the K-mart clerk who was doing his job... it"s the clerk at the other store who illegally sold spray paint to a minor.

I am not against the clerk for enforcing the law. I agree that the clerk had to do so.

1. The clerk did not have to be "He also wasn't very nice about it either" as Austin says. He is a person with feelings and was not aware he was doing anything wrong.
  2. I myself feel the law is rediculous. I know it is a law, I know it will not go away. I think often when laws like this are imposed they cause a whole black market. Hence, why I mentioned drugs and alchol.
  3. I didn't realize a person could get high on a can of paint. Maybe I have and didn't even no it.

I am not against the clerk for enforcing the law. I agree that the clerk had to do so.

1. The clerk did not have to be "He also wasn't very nice about it either" as Austin says. He is a person with feelings and was not aware he was doing anything wrong.
  2. I myself feel the law is rediculous. I know it is a law, I know it will not go away. I think often when laws like this are imposed they cause a whole black market. Hence, why I mentioned drugs and alchol.
  3. I didn't realize a person could get high on a can of paint. Maybe I have and didn't even no it.

Do you know for a fact that the clerk wasnt very nice about it?

in my area you have to be 18 to buy spray paint , Markers,shoe polish ... anything that can be used for graffitti or to make graffitti mops even,.... suck it up... life is not going to get any easier.. if your so upset over it .. you have a lot to be pissed off about down the road my friend.

also , if you had to put up with the people that kmart clerks have to put up with every day ...all day.. you might be a little more sympathetic... it's not the greatest job.and not the best place to work either.

don't let it get to you so much to change where you shop.He's probably just trying to make it thru another day working at kmart

Edited by scalenut

I trust that Austin is telling the truth. Read through the thread and it really is his point. He is not arguing the law either.

I have read all five pages so far, you must not of, or you would of seen that I have been posting in this thread this I think the first page :P .

When dealing with the public when it comes to the sale of restricted items, it can be very hard at times, and having to deal with people that get mad at you for not breaking the law for them, trust me they will argue with you tell the cows come home. So after awhile its just come natural to maybe not be so friendly when some one is trying to buy something they are not old enough for yet.

In the state of Arizona, if you are caught selling a restrcitve product to someone underage, it is a $2000 finel, loss of job, maybe jail time.

I myself feel the law is rediculous.

That's your right. But you don't have right to break that law.

If you feel a law is ridiculous, work to change it. Write your local representative. Start a petition. But don't just complain about it, because that's not going to get you anywhere.

1. I myself feel the law is rediculous. I know it is a law, I know it will not go away. I think often when laws like this are imposed they cause a whole black market. Hence, why I mentioned drugs and alchol.

Do you also think the drinking and smoking age laws are ridiculous too?

Well all know it sucks being underage, we all were underage at one time or another, but its not going to change, and soon you will be of age so it matter anymore to you. No one is saying you have to like the laws, but they are in place for reason that have been stated. Yes it does suck that the bad apples have ruined for the good people like the ones that are on this forum, but here is a secert, the bad apples have ruined a lot of things, and you will find this out the older you get.

The easiet way around this is have your parents buy the spray paint for you, then you wont have to deal with " unfriendly employees"

Edited by martinfan5

That's your right. But you don't have right to break that law.

If you feel a law is ridiculous, work to change it. Write your local representative. Start a petition. But don't just complain about it, because that's not going to get you anywhere.

Harry, I thought this was a discussion. I am way over 18 and this does not impact me. Furthermore this is not the law where I live. I am a law abidding citizen. I am stating the facts of what happens in real life. Laws are broken every day. I am not complaining about the law. I just think it is wrong. I trust that I can have an opinion?

This is not about the law though. I am supporting Austin in being treated like a person. Not a druggie, or a tagger. We should all be happy that the kid is into our hobby.

It is obvious that we are not going to agree here.