Model Cars Magazine Forum

K-Mart has lost another customer.

sorry but i think this is totally normal.

I'm 14 and have never once been able to buy spray paint any were without an adult.

I fixed the problem by buying a air brush to paint every thing.

But next time your at the store buying paint, once you have checked out start talking about what your gonna paint on the back of the building. :lol:

its about huffing. the cash register most likely gave him a prompt. its the same reason you have to have an id to buy sudafed.( meth)

america is indeed an insane place. you cant buy paint or medicine, but any psycho can go into wal mart and buy ammo for his glock ,then go shoot a 9 year old girl in the chest .( arizona, loughner )

because the average person is, in fact , COMPLETEY incapable of being responsible and making good decisions. we. the people, were supposed to protect this little girl. and we failed.

that why we have these laws, to protect each other ,and each others children.

I've had that same problem too-but now when I know that, I've taken my dad with me. There's one good thing: He pays and I paint. :lol:

But I must say, that I like painting with airbrush more than spray cans. Those Revell/Humbroll Enamel colors are just bit harder to find.

I'm learning a lot here. I had no idea that spray paint was an issue, but I can certainly see why.

Obviously, the clerk should have been polite to Austin.

On the other hand, if I got upset every time a clerk was less than pleasant to me, I would have to make a second career for complaining about it. In your case, I would chalk it up to your age. As you get older, you will learn not to take these things personally. It really doesn't matter what his/her reason was, it happened then, and sure as the sun will rise tomorrow, it will happen again. Just let it roll off your back. Just roll your eyes, and move on.

I agree completely; you'll encounter all sorts of idiots and other assorted rude people. Consider it a lesson for next time. B)

Guest Johnny

Many states require a official ID to buy any paint. And purchaser must be 21 or older. Get something you own 'tagged' and have to pay to fix it and you may understand better.

See! Dave gets it! B)

Many do not pay attention to what is going on in the country so do not have a clue as to why some things like this happen!

Guess too much reality TV can do that! :lol:

So let me get this straight. They want me to vote for them or die for the fatherland in some godforsaken desert at age 18, but to spray a model car and enjoy a tin of beer afterwards, I must be 21?

Under these circumstances, it's little wonder most juveniles turn out the way they do. With surprisingly many notable exceptions in this forum, I have to add. And another thing comes as a surprise. All minors who spoke out in this thread did so with impeccable grammar and spelling.

So let me get this straight. They want me to vote for them or die for the fatherland in some godforsaken desert at age 18, but to spray a model car and enjoy a tin of beer afterwards, I must be 21?

There is no military draft here, it's all volunteer, so nobody is making anyone fight anywhere.

I agree that if you are man enough to fight a war at 18, and man enough to vote at 18, then you should also be allowed to buy a beer at 18. But the laws are not always perfect or logical.

The whole "no spray paint under 18" rule is in effect because many kids buy the stuff to either get high on, or to vandalize other people's property with. Do all kids do that? Of course not, but there is no way to have a law banning spray paint to those under 18 that applies only to some people under 18 and not to others.

The whole "no spray paint under 18" rule is in effect because many kids buy the stuff to either get high on,

They have to get high on something, since they are not allowed to drink.

or to vandalize other people's property with. Do all kids do that? Of course not, but there is no way to have a law banning spray paint to those under 18 that applies only to some people under 18 and not to others.

It used to be common practice to get prosecuted and punished AFTER one committed a crime. I wonder what ever happened to that concept.

To punish an entire group for the wrongdoings of some individuals was rendered illegal at the Nuremberg trials in 1945 and is since manifested as such in the UN Treaty.

They have to get high on something, since they are not allowed to drink.

It used to be common practice to get prosecuted and punished AFTER one committed a crime. I wonder what ever happened to that concept.

To punish an entire group for the wrongdoings of some individuals was rendered illegal at the Nuremberg trials in 1945 and is since manifested as such in the UN Treaty.

Uhhh...certain substances are prohibited for minors (such as paint with toxic fumes) but allowed for adults in almost all countries - as you noted, in the US it's particularly alcohol (though not wine and beer in some European countries), and I hardly need to mention that there are many controlled or banned substances around the world that are intended to be preventative in nature. I don't quite get your point.

Christian, you can argue all day long whether it's fair or not to ban anyone under 18 from buying spray paint... but that's not going to change the law.

True, the law also bans those under 18 who have no intention of misusing the product from buying it, but I'm sure the thinking behind the law is to try and prevent that misuse before it happens, instead of dealing with the trouble and expense of cleaning up the mess (teens getting high and vandalized property) after it happens. Overall, there's probably more good than harm done by the law. And besides, anyone under 18 who simply wants to paint a model car can always have an adult or parent buy it for them.

I fail to see the point of not selling those things. All they have to do is have the parents buy the paint for them, so they can huff it...

Same with booze, heroin, weed, methamphetamines and any other POS you want to name if you have parents that are total losers. What's your point?

Huh? I don't do ANY of that stuff, and never will, if that's what you guys are implying...

No, Andy, I'm not implying any of that. But you said that kids can get anything if their parents are willing to buy it. Please read again what I said in reply to your post.

Huh? I don't do ANY of that stuff, and never will, if that's what you guys are implying...

Andy, they are not saying or implying that you do that stuff. But because you don't do any of that doesn't mean that there isn't other young people out there that "does" do it though. That is one of the reason's why the stores are doing what they are.

Let's face it. If a kid under 18 wants to get high on a can of paint they are going to find a way to get it. Just like they do now when they want booze or drugs. I am sure we have all tasted the forbidden nectar before we were of age.

As far as those who are tagging or vandalizing. Punish them. Why should a good kid like Austin not be able to spend his time building a model because of a few idiots out there. Turning 18 or 21 doesn't change everyone. Most who are up to no good at a younger age are still up to no good at the legal age.

The clerk at K-mart had no right to treat Austin the way he did. I think the store should be made aware of how this clerk is treating customers. Austin is a customer regardless of his age.

what it is...i went to the wally world here to get an can of paint for one of my models...and they asked me for id....i calmly asked them what for?;...the issue was there was a boy here who ended up in the hospital cause of it and i cant remember whether he died or not...but thats where that law came from....at least here in ohio!...i even told them ...i build models...and this paint is perfect for it and i dont have an id...they said they dont care ...its the law now with the incedent that just happended (at least in that time!)