Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dodge Van...truefire and now a Corvette.....

Hi

I`ve wanted to do a "truefire" paintjob for a long time. Finally i desided to give it a shot.

I see i have to do a little more on the right side to get more "flow" of the design

Please let me know what you think and what i can do better next time :)

januar2012070-vi.jpgjanuar2012077-vi.jpg

januar2012074-vi.jpgjanuar2012075-vi.jpg

Edited by Thor

Looks HOT. What airbrush did you use? Template? I have to try and learn to do those flames.

Thanks.

I use a Iwata HP-C plus, on this i used a template along with some free hand.

I think one clue is to get small enough templates and go real close so the flames dont look too big.....

One thing I thought would look cool (yes, I'm on meds...), is where the flames start on the front of front fender, do a tear away, like something underneath is causing the flames...

Just a thought.

I'll go back and lay down now.

Thor,

First off, let me say that is a great result for a first timer.

If I may add a few suggestions (and I am no pro at it),

on the van, try to use the stencil a little less. while the look is cool (reminds me of a background for graffitti lettering), if you do a little more free hand you will be amazed.

on the vette with red as a base, you could either build up as you have or you could fog some over reduced black where you want the fire to be (think of soot coming off of fire). I really like the hood, I think you did great on it.

Also, try to build it up with more "layers" instead of trying to do it in as few steps as possible. Think of it as if you were painting the entire body one color...you build the "layers" to achieve the result that you wanted. Take the same approach to the fire.

Again, I'm no pro and I'm merely trying to help.

Here's a few examples of some real fire that i've done.

dodge ram vts

_MG_1635.jpg

a 1:1 suzuki gsxr600

ricksbike.jpg

blue fire on a golf club

dadsclub.jpg

Thor,

First off, let me say that is a great result for a first timer.

If I may add a few suggestions (and I am no pro at it),

on the van, try to use the stencil a little less. while the look is cool (reminds me of a background for graffitti lettering), if you do a little more free hand you will be amazed.

on the vette with red as a base, you could either build up as you have or you could fog some over reduced black where you want the fire to be (think of soot coming off of fire). I really like the hood, I think you did great on it.

Also, try to build it up with more "layers" instead of trying to do it in as few steps as possible. Think of it as if you were painting the entire body one color...you build the "layers" to achieve the result that you wanted. Take the same approach to the fire.

Again, I'm no pro and I'm merely trying to help.

Here's a few examples of some real fire that i've done.

dodge ram vts

_MG_1635.jpg

a 1:1 suzuki gsxr600

ricksbike.jpg

Thanks, i appreciate your tips. I will try to use more freehand on next car.

btw what type of color do you use and what type of brand.

On the Dodge i used som decanted spraycan white and some blue candy from Zero.

On the Corvette i used decanted spraycan white and yellow then some orange candy from Auto Air on top

I`m going to bye a couple more stencils for the flames

Ps that bike is looking awesome!!

Thor,

I use House of Kolor automotive urethanes.

The colors that I use for the fire are: Moly Orange, Chrome Yellow, White, Kandy Apple Red, Kandy Tangerine, Kandy Pagan Gold, and a little bit of Passion Purple Pearl (for the glow around the fire).

As far as stencils go, if you can get a hold of some x-ray film (i know that everything is going digital & therefore tough to find), you can cut your own shapes for stencils. I don't suppose that there is a Wal-mart in Norway, but maybe you have a store that is close. Anyway, at Wal-mart in the craft section, they carry small (8"x10") sheets of mylar. They come in a 3 pack and are perfect for cutting stencils from. Both the x-ray film & the mylar sheets should be solvent proof. There is nothing worse than spending time & effort to cut out some cool stencils, only to have them wrinkle up or, worse, dissolve.

One of the biggest suggestions that I can give is to make sure that you have PLENTY of reference photos to look at every once in a while. It will help tremendously. You can use the reference photos for creating your stencil shapes.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.