Model Cars Magazine Forum

Test Shots and Other Parts Oddities

I bought these test shot parts as part of two parts lot purchases on eBay two years ago, so I figured I would share some pics for anyone interested. The parts are from the 1/16 Revell '34 Ford Coupe and Phaeton kits. 

I will let the images do the talking for now. If you have built or had any of these kits on hand, you will probably be able to see what's different about these parts compared to the parts actually included with the kits. The differences are minor and in some cases, only the plastic color differs.

1099057009_PXL_20220310_1659506862.thumb.jpg.9c61f0ad1501521824fd80a1f0913ac5.jpg

341678336_PXL_20220310_1700040352.jpg.003f87ddbfd8ca225346a72674774613.jpg

433796944_PXL_20220310_1700252162.jpg.b2002f66bb36f45765bbea68b5ea8f95.jpg

1694175349_PXL_20220310_1701063902.thumb.jpg.b3b1a6f52b546620f13b92793fd383f1.jpg

Edited by Casey

I still have some of the late test shots from the 1/16 Fords too, from when I built the box art models... Not enough to make a kit, and not that I'd want to use them since I have the production kits too.

I'd love to see what you've got if you're willing to post some pics.

Interesting. B)

The most obvious things to me are the lack of engraved carpet and seat detail in the interior tub, and no copyright notices on the chassis plate. No idea what's different from production with the 1:16 Ford parts, as I've never owned one.

I did get one of the Moebius '53 Hudson Hornet kit test shots, can anybody tell me what parts here don't come with the producton '53?

zz003-vi.jpg

Interesting. B)

The most obvious things to me are the lack of engraved carpet and seat detail in the interior tub, and no copyright notices on the chassis plate. No idea what's different from production with the 1:16 Ford parts, as I've never owned one.

I did get one of the Moebius '53 Hudson Hornet kit test shots, can anybody tell me what parts here don't come with the producton '53?

zz003-vi.jpg

Everything unique to the '52 stocker (Grille, Wheels...)

BTW if you look at the frame of the plated parts of the '53 one can see, that they shot it without blocking off the steel wheels, but they were clipped off after the plating process.

I'd love to see what you've got if you're willing to post some pics.

Well, after building box art models, (often from test shots) for well over 30 years, I have several boxes of test shot parts stored away. Some are nearly the same as the production runs, but in unusual colors, others are clearly test runs that are significantly different from the production parts. Everything from engraving details to re-engineered parts.

• 6 years later...
On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2012 at 7:43 PM, Scale-Master said:

Well, after building box art models, (often from test shots) for well over 30 years, I have several boxes of test shot parts stored away. Some are nearly the same as the production runs, but in unusual colors, others are clearly test runs that are significantly different from the production parts. Everything from engraving details to re-engineered parts.

Mark's statement above is exactly what I have experienced as well.   

Most test shots that migrate to parties outside the company that developed them are fairly refined; the result of several previous rounds of revisions.  But first round test shots can be,  very rough and not something that could be commercially produced at that stage of development.   

TIM  

7 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Someday before I leave this blue rotating big ball, I'd like to have a full series of test shots(first shot up to approved for production shot) together with all the prints of the photo shoot and the 3D files.

For one specific kit? Also yes, odds are not in your favor, Luc, sorry. -_-

This one was on eBay a few months ago:

s-l500%202.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500%201.jpg

s-l500%203.jpg

Lindberg's Police Chargers went through seven rounds of test shots before they finally went into production just as the licensing was to run out.  One of the most troublesome parts were the steel wheels and center caps.  The Chinese tool makers just couldn't get the contours correct from photos after multiple tries.  We solved that problem after I suggested we buy an actual steel wheel and center cap from a local Dodge Dealer and sent it to China so they could scale it down.  

Here's a photo of first resin printed wheel parts installed on my first build up with the proposed CHP livery. The small roof antenna never made it to production either. 

2v4pQqvWxvL75L.jpg 

Here's the Texas DPS box art model with final test shot wheels and center caps the later I had sent out to be plated myself as I never got an actual plated chrome tree sample.    

2vVQHU88xvL75L.jpg

I probably have two cases worth of test shot parts on these and pages worth of email and photos used to make corrections.  Most of which only a handful of people would even care or want to know about.  

-Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an interesting one that popped up on eBay last night. It poses some intriguing possibilities Revell may have been looking at at some point, either before the kits release, or even recently as a modified reissue...

Revells 32 sedan. It's listed as an "engineering test shot", which kind of explains why a portion of the roof was removed. Probably to better view how all the interior panels and details were interfacing with each other after assembly. The parts of the interior look pretty standard for what came in the kit that hit the shelves. It's the engine that is intriguing. A blown HEMI? 

It's hard to tell if this engine tooling is the same that eventually ended up the the 5W version (minus small detail changes like the breathers, etc) or if this engine tooling was from another source. 

image.png.fc83a79113ecb222bb292137f6faf9a7.png