Model Cars Magazine Forum

Test Shots and Other Parts Oddities

16 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

That is interesting, the licensing was going to run out before the kits went on sale?

Yes, they were running out of time per my contact at Lindberg. Apparently they made it just in time.  The kit manufacturers don't like to talk about licensing issues.  After tooling cost, it's one of their biggest expenses. 

-Steve

Edited by SteveG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

That's the Revell '94 Caprice taxi/police car kit. 

Correct.

6 hours ago, Ironman63 said:

Can you provide a link if this is an auction that has not expired?  Thanks

Mark, I purchased it from eBay. It was sold by a former Revell employee, but I'm not sure if it was the same seller as the VW Beetle and Firebird above or not, though. Just search for "test shot" in the Automotive models section, either current or completed listings, and you'll see a few others.

• 1 year later...

This one is currently listed on eBay, with some interesting accompanying information, which I quoted below the images: https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMT-STREAMLINER-DRAGSTER-TEST-SHOT-in-CLEAR-PLASTIC-Kit-T-161-L-K/124467166530?hash=item1cfad23d42:g:w3oAAOSwsgtfxpAp

AMTSS2.jpg.a77d77620cf9ee3f8cea3707ec581ec6.jpg

AMTSStest1.jpg.2d8745edff2fb617a6e6c48685b95ebb.jpg

Seller's words: 

AMT STREAMLINER DRAGSTER TEST SHOT in CLEAR PLASTIC Kit # T-161 

Here's a rare find, I found this at M&M molding shop in Windsor Canada may years ago in the 80's where the model kit manufactures would send there molds to check and see if they needed repair or what ever?

This model is molded in clear plastic & is part of the double dragster Fiat kit by AMT.
the only parts not clear are the tires,

• 1 year later...

I’m thinking this must be test shot parts. I have never seen ‘71 GTX or Satellite parts molded in blue, nor have I ever seen the custom hoods shown, or a tunnel ram intake included in any release of a ‘71…

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Large-Lot-Misc-Parts-Vintage-Monogram-1971-Plymouth-Satellite-1-24-Model-2213-/224846654863?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

6329598A-CE9B-46A9-B2AA-F0632035E067.jpeg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CapSat 6 said:

I’m thinking this must be test shot parts. I have never seen ‘71 GTX or Satellite parts molded in blue, nor have I ever seen the custom hoods shown, or a tunnel ram intake included in any release of a ‘71…

I wonder why Monogram et al. didn't go forward with that??? I wonder if they had Don Grotheer's 1971 Road Runner E/MP in mind? How cool would that have been!! 

Ostensibly, the tooling still exists -- Ed Sexton et al.: Do it to it! I'm sure that Grotheer would approve of having his car's livery on one of your kits! 

Don-Grotheer-1971-road-runner.jpg.a4a6bd38981656bbebd94d9493e9d3b9.jpg 

On 3/4/2022 at 1:46 PM, 1972coronet said:

I wonder why Monogram et al. didn't go forward with that??? I wonder if they had Don Grotheer's 1971 Road Runner E/MP in mind? How cool would that have been!! 

@Luc Janssens mentioned Dean Milano stated there were optional, second version built into the 1/24 Monogram '69 Dodge 440 Six Pack kit, so maybe the same held true for the Satellite?:

On 3/4/2022 at 1:46 PM, 1972coronet said:

Ostensibly, the tooling still exists -- Ed Sexton et al.: Do it to it! I'm sure that Grotheer would approve of having his car's livery on one of your kits!  

Maybe not, if the extra space was used for the '71 GTX-specific parts.

Edited by Casey

27 minutes ago, Casey said:

I think Tim Boyd mentioned there were optional, second version (usually a Street Machine type option) built into many (all?) of the 1/24 Monogram musclecar kits, but some never saw the light of day (like the above '71 Satellite parts), or weren't included until long after the stock version debuted ('69 Dodge Coronet R/T).

Maybe not, if the extra space was used for the '71 GTX-specific parts.

I'll have to perform a comparison with the unbuilt 1995 issue of the GTX I have in me stash. Sounds like a plausible explanation.

5 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

I jumped on it -- couldn't resist the price! All of those duplicate parts (1971 "Satellite" interior tub -- THREE of them!) and those awesome bonnets; that one-off tunnel ram! 

Thanks for the link!

😁

You’re welcome! I’m glad it went to somebody who realizes what it is. 

It’s been out there for a few weeks, too! I considered it, but I already have a lot of Satellite parts, and I don’t have a lot of room for “history”. I kind of forgot about it until I saw this thread. 

That hood doesn’t look like anything like what could be had in 1:1. The bulge almost looks like the one from the ‘73-‘74 Road Runner. 

Edited by CapSat 6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CapSat 6 said:

That hood doesn’t look like anything like what could be had in 1:1. The bulge almost looks like the one from the ‘73-‘74 Road Runner. 

Those hoods resemble P/S hoods of the era, and maybe even some of the Direct-Connection offerings. 

I wonder if the interior tub was irreversibly modified to the GTX / Satellite Sebring version? MPC didn't get it right with their 1971 Road Runner annual (barely even passing as Sebring-GTX pattern).  

On 3/4/2022 at 4:14 PM, 1972coronet said:

I'll have to perform a comparison with the unbuilt 1995 issue of the GTX I have in me stash. Sounds like a plausible explanation.

@CaseyI didn't see anywhere on the runners where the prototype tunnel ram (intake only; no carburetors nor air cleaners) would've been vs. the c.1994 GTX parts. I can only imagine that the tunnel ram would've been on the same runner as the prototype hood (and, maybe, a rollbar and/or traction bars and rear suspension risers -- all similar to the 1971 'Street Machine' Hemi 'Cuda parts, ostensibly).

IF the tooling still exists for the hood, tunnel ram, etc., and is on a separate runner (tree, et al.), then it makes sense for Monogram-Revell. to add them to a release of the 1971 Satellite-Road Runner-GTX. Throw in a set of headers, period correct custom wheels (NOT Centerlines nor Cragar S/ST's) and tyres, and the rest of the reinstated 'Satellite' tiller, etc., that're in the recent F&F kit.

On 3/4/2022 at 8:59 PM, 1972coronet said:

Those hoods resemble P/S hoods of the era, and maybe even some of the Direct-Connection offerings. 

Definitely similar to the Motown Missile Cuda P/S:

mm.jpg.e90abc77cd46660ed9d93220ae8a2022.jpg

I did a comparison between the '71 Satellite and GTX a decade ago, but the images I took didn't get saved from my Photobucket-to-fotki transition, so they are gone.

I think the Satellite test shot parts were a forum member's, and if so, maybe he can chime in, if he so desires.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Definitely similar to the Motown Missile Cuda P/S

Absolutely. I honestly don't know what Monogram was 'thinking' (and, I don't mean that to sound negative) when they tooled up an outdated-by-1980s-standards hood for the '71 "Satellite" (truly, a Road Runner without naming it as such). Possibly it was something that they were toying with before the kit was retooled to represent a 440+6 GTX? By then --c.1993-- the nostalgia kick was in its infancy; perhaps a Pro Stock-type '71 R.R. or even GTX was considered? That'd be around the same time as the Sox & Martin '67 RO23 "GTX" (name and 'GTX' embellishments  applied by S&M to their '67 Belvedere Super Stock) -- maybe the plan was scrapped (S&M didn't campaign a '71 B-body that I'm aware of... only the 1970-come-1971 Barracuda P/S, which is an E-body; maybe a '71 Duster?)

I still think that R-M could capitlise on these parts, and offer a replica of Don Grotheer's '71 E/MP 'Runner.

I dunno. All of the 1/24 Monogram street machine type parts for their 2'n 1 musclecar kits were a bit generic, so while their may have been some resemblance to earlier vehicles and eras, I doubt there was any intention to offer replica parts for a specific car using the optional parts.

8 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Absolutely. I honestly don't know what Monogram was 'thinking' (and, I don't mean that to sound negative) when they tooled up an outdated-by-1980s-standards hood for the '71 "Satellite" (truly, a Road Runner without naming it as such). Possibly it was something that they were toying with before the kit was retooled to represent a 440+6 GTX? By then --c.1993-- the nostalgia kick was in its infancy; perhaps a Pro Stock-type '71 R.R. or even GTX was considered? That'd be around the same time as the Sox & Martin '67 RO23 "GTX" (name and 'GTX' embellishments  applied by S&M to their '67 Belvedere Super Stock) -- maybe the plan was scrapped (S&M didn't campaign a '71 B-body that I'm aware of... only the 1970-come-1971 Barracuda P/S, which is an E-body; maybe a '71 Duster?)

I still think that R-M could capitlise on these parts, and offer a replica of Don Grotheer's '71 E/MP 'Runner.

Sox and Martin did prepare a ‘71 Road Runner…

And regarding the Monogram ‘71 “Satellite”, I think it was a case of them developing a ‘71 Road Runner kit, they discovered problems with the Road Runner license late in the process, and then they simply decided to call it a Satellite. 

As far as the optional parts we’re seeing, they were simply developing street machine parts that were similar to the ones in their ‘71 Hemi Cuda, ‘70 GTX, etc. I don’t think much thought went into the hood. In the early 80’s, I don’t think the people at Monogram were thinking too much about replicas of old drag cars then, although those optional hoods do look funky, sort of like a ‘73-‘74 RR hood, which I have seen added to ‘71’s in 1:1 on occasion. 

03AD0B57-2B7A-43D2-A571-0345B930E2FF.jpeg

DEA3D9B0-BB73-475E-B88E-AD3EE6552458.jpeg

7DC4CEAF-BE49-4150-AC41-E43FAF633B50.jpeg

• Thanks 1