Model Cars Magazine Forum

'64 Dodge Pro Mod..COMPLETE..Finished pics start on pg. 5

This is a project that I just started and there is a long road ahead but I definitely have made progress on it so far. I made the chassis except for the wheel tubs and I would have done them also but after wasting almost a sheet of plastic I gave up. I couldn't get the tubs to hold their shape at all. The next time I'll use sheet aluminum and that will remedy the problem about shaping the wheel tub. I'm in no hurry on this one. Thanks!824.jpg825.jpg826.jpg827.jpg823.jpg

Edited by Mister Twister

Sweet looking build, probably not my first pick for a body to do Pro Mod but very interesting subject. :)

I know.. Wheel Tubs can be a bit tricky with sheet plastic for that specific reason, getting it to hold a nice round curve... Virtually impossible, even tried sticking it in hot water... nada, zip, zero results.

My best suggestion is POP Can! It is already curved and will continue to hold that shape, and in fact it does about a scale 40" Wheel Tub for 1:1. Just add the styrene part and glue in place with JB Weld and you are good to go!

Here is mine to show you.

IMG_3026.jpg

IMG_3025.jpg

This will be a fun one to watch. I'll make a suggestion you can try sometime for tubs. For my original Fairmont tubs, I laminated two piece of .020" styrene sheet together and wrapped them around a larger OD socket and set them up in a fixture to hold everything together while they set up. They may not completely maintain the original shape, but having the two separate layers adhered together in an arc made them hold their shape pretty well - it certainly made them manageable to fit into the rest of the pan. Just so I don't hijack Darryl's thread, I'll post pics how I made mine in a separate thread. I'll post it in the tips and tricks area.

Edited by futurattraction

What size of tubing did you use for the cage?

For the main tubing on this one I used Evergreen part no. 223 3/32 tubing that has a diameter of .093. I normally use part no.222 1/16 rod with a diameter of .062 for the entire structure. But, I wanted it to look a little beefier so I went with the larger tubing. Supports and bracing still utilizes the 1/16 rod and smaller 3/64 rod also.

This build looks great. That cagework is incredible, how someone can build it from plastic...? This body is rarely seen on Pro Mod races, so subject is very interesting too. That scoop looks good too, can't wait to see more of it.

This body is rarely seen on Pro Mod races, so subject is very interesting too.

The unique body style is one factor that will make this build more interesting. I'm sure that most fans are familiar with the Dodge Fever car from back in the later 80's (no picture available) but here is another one that I have pics. of. Not that Daryl is going to go this radical with his body style but just wanted to show another version.

IMG_7768KOKENESe1-vi.jpg

Edited by 1320wayne

Thanks fellas, I am going to do some body mods to this one but it won't be as radical as the Dodge Fever that Wayne posted pics of. Tyrone I'm going to use a nitrous Hemi in it.

So something more like this first one with the stock looking front end, and not with an outlandish slopped front end then? I would be interested in knowing what the wheel base was during this era of Pro Mods, any different than from today?

dodgefever2.jpg

109065193.jpg

Edited by eviltwincustoms

So something more like this first one with the stock looking front end, and not with an outlandish slopped front end then? I would be interested in knowing what the wheel base was during this era of Pro Mods, any different than from today?

dodgefever2.jpg

109065193.jpg

love this era of pro mods

cant wait to see how this turns out