Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scored a Truck 'Junkyard'. Gonna be busy...

I did some horse trading with my buddy who owns the LHS in Muncie and brought these home for a steal!

There is also a large box of parts. Whatever parts these trucks are missing can be found in that box. These are all 'Complete' they just need some TLC...

On the right, is an AMT gravel trailer... The K-100 Aerodyne has had the back half of the frame crushed. That's ok, I have plans for whats left...

keixok.jpg

Three 4300's... The blue kit has air-ride susp. the Yellow one is equipped with a Hendrickson walking-beam set up...

25rl9b9.jpg

Two Paystar 5000's and a Pete 352. The Paystar on the right was a log truck. The parts are in the partsbox...

2ynqe5y.jpg

Two of my Grail Kits!!! Need I say more?!?

2u8jex3.jpg

And the final International... Can anyone tell me about this one? It looks like a 2500 series but I've not seen this kit before...

s59qo1.jpg

Well, all I can say is that I'm as tickled as a man in a bag of feathers... I'm going to be busy for a while restoring these. Aquiring this collection has breathed new life into this hobby for me. I've already started tearing down the blue/white and Yellow trucks and hope to have updates for you very soon!

The s-series is the 2575 ver. are you willing to part with any of the IH's pm me I may have something you'd like a unbuilt semi.

Thanks for the info on the 2575. I am going to hang onto all of them for a while... I have a hard time getting rid of models anymore... I've let too many go that, later on I wish I had kept...

Thanks for the info on the 2575. I am going to hang onto all of them for a while... I have a hard time getting rid of models anymore... I've let too many go that, later on I wish I had kept...
cant blame me for try'n I collect them cause thats where my dad worked Harvester not ertl. have 14 trucks,9 scout ll's and the 1466 series tractor model.

Thanks guys, I knew you'd all appreciate these. I'm still giddy over this deal... I have all sorts of ideas for these. I have a second unbuilt gravel trailer... I'm going to scratchbuild a tandem dolly and make up a set of gravel doubles... I'm seriouly thinking about cutting down the Paystar logger to pull them. I have a resin front-drive axle and transfer case... Hmmm..... I could use the logger hardware on another chassis without any difficulty... the 2500 series is going to get a 24' low-side bed and markings for a steel salvage/scrap company... The Paystar dump is going to get painted red and I'm going to fabricate a 3rd tag axle for it. Both Transtar COE's will be restored in stock configuration. One will get a van trailer and the other will pull one of my tanker trailers. The 352 Pete will get cut down to single-screw configuration and will be built as a mobile home tugger... I may use the logging gear on one of the 4300's... somewhere I have a 36" sleeper that may end up gracing one nof the other 4300's... As for the K100, I'll bash it with a W900 'snap kit', lengthen the frame to take a 10' condo behind the cab and build a matching 40' dropdeck for it... YAY!!!

I started tearing down the blue/white 4300 and found everything that was missing off of it in the parts box... The chrome parts are soaking in Windex and I'm working on straightening the frame....

And one final question... Several of these trucks are equipped with 903 Cummins engines. Has anyone ever done an article on detailing this engine?

Edited by Wagoneer81

A 4070A COE TRANSTAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hey i didnt know that the 4300's had two different rear suspensions ? Knew that the coe transtars had different suspensions but not 43.
You sir are right! the light blue one is a 4200(4270) which was changed into the 4300 kit as the 4070 a was into the transtar ll kit.

You sir are right! the light blue one is a 4200(4270) which was changed into the 4300 kit as the 4070 a was into the transtar ll kit.

-Well, that certainly cleared up that little mystery for me... I wrote this information down in my build notes... Thanks, Rick!

-Scummy, I should have been playing poker the night I got these... When I pulled that 4070A Transtar out of the box right after I found the Transtar II... and realized what it was... I actually got goosebumps and just a little dizzy... Like I said, those are TWO of my four Grail-kits.

The 4270 and the 4070a are a tad hard if not exspensive to get. I was lucky an got my 4070a from freds model world.Fred gets some hard to find models and sales them for decent prices.BTW it was never built till I got her!

Edited by ranma

Richard, thanks for the article... It definitely will help!

Kevin, colors noted, thanks, buddy!

Rick, I was wondering if the 4270 was in line with the 4070A as far as availability... and if there storys were similar.

This is what I love about this site. Everyone has been sooo helpful in my quest for information on these kits and the encouragement to bring them back to their glory really is inspiring! The blue and the yellow trucks have been torn down and I've started cleaning up 'blues' frame. I have to build six new tank mounts because all but one of the originals was unsalvagable... I'll use it for a pattern, thank The Maker for Evergreen and Plastruct! I'm thinking of a red frame, wheels and tanks with a white over blue body...

You know, I realized when I started pulling trucks out of the boxes that I was sitting on a veritable goldmine of OOP, classic, desirable kits... I told my friend what the unbuilt versions were worth and what the 4070b might bring on eBay as-is and he still quoted me a purchase price of.... hang on to your butts............... $50.00! It's now ok to curse me and slander my name, if you must... ;^)

• 1 year later...