Model Cars Magazine Forum

Modifying Resin Bodies

Just curious. I haven't bought a resin body yet. I'm wondering how 'flexible' they are vs plastic. If I wanted to widen a quarter panel for NASCAR tires and wheels, can this be done simply or does this fall under major project? Am I wrong in assuming that resin is considerably more brittle?

While resin is more brittle, I can't say I have seen it break on me. You can still cut it and sand it. A respirator should be worn when sanding; airborne resin particles are not friendly to lungs. Also, the only compatible glues are super glue and epoxy.

Any polyurethane resin body can be modified in pretty much the same manner as you would with a styrene kit shell. The stuff razor saws easily, can be sliced and spliced to whatever it is you want to do with it. Of course, ordinary plastic cements don't work with urethane resin--epoxy or CA is what it takes.

Art

While resin is more brittle, I can't say I have seen it break on me. You can still cut it and sand it. A respirator should be worn when sanding; airborne resin particles are not friendly to lungs. Also, the only compatible glues are super glue and epoxy.

I had a Perry's resin break on me . A '65 Dodge Coronet . I test fitted every piece while processing this build . The final part was the Taillight panel . The paint added just enough to the opening , pop ! The left side of the body broke out . The Taillight panle still didn't fit . It took a year , I did save it . Supwer glue and accelorator . Much TLC . Thanx ..

I work with resin every day, resin has nowhere NEAR the elastic properties, and will snap or crack rather than bend, but other than that, is similar to plastic, except for 3 things (off the top of my head) (1) glue formulated fo plastics don't work, you need 'superglue' or epoxy. (2)resin is impervious to lacquer, and (3)...Most resin turns to a blob when immersed in the 'purple pond'