Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hoping this pic works!

http://i172.photobuc...werWagon001.jpg

Thats all I have available to post right now. Have to get my laptop fixed! grr!

I am working on that one and a Lil Red Express turned 4x4 right now.

More work being done to the LRE as that required saving the frame/chassis after a back chop years ago when I was a kid. IMO I did a remarkable save to it, just wish I could get some pics of it postyed, and soon, as I would like some feedback on it.

Hoping to get some more pics up soon! Just wanted to get a teaser out to everyone!

Edited by wraith

Thanks everyone!

I haven't done much work to the one pictured. Seem whoever apinted it before I got my hands on it painted it with some kind of paint which so far is resisting the stripping powes of the Purple Power. grr!

I have heard of using Oven cleaner, but I know that stuff is kinds potent, I have never used it, and I am resisting using it so far because I don't need anything eating away at these kits as they are getting expensive lately. Anyone else have any stripper ideas I could use?

Hope to get some pics of the Stepside soon! Been alot of reworking of things to get everything fitting to my liking.

The stepside will be painted Root Beer Brown metallic with real wood bed side inserts, with a lil smaller lift that the one pictured with TruXus M/T tires. The one above had the Super Swampers on it.

The sidestep will also be my 1st attempt at building my own leaf springs. Haven't yet decided on what axles I will use on it. Leaning towards the box stock axles, but i do have another set of Rockfords I could use.

The fleetside pictured will be mostly just rebuild with a surprise under the hood if I can get my hands on the powerplant!

Hi Darrick,

Nice PW! I am working on one as I write this. It's a '79.

8016-01.jpg

This unit was bought new by my original fire company, and outfitted by dept. members with fabrication by a local metal shop. The truck is still owned by the company, though relegated to a support role now as a "utility". As you know, lots to modify and correct to build an accurate '79. Grille/headlights are the biggest challenge. Did you have any problems with the bottom edge of the pickup bed curling under? I have two kits - both with the same problem... Tried warming/bending outward/cooling without much change. I'll probably place some material between the bed and the outer "skin" of the bed. Look forward to following you progress!

David, I have some issues with the underside of the bed curling under, but mine on all 3 of my long fleet side beds are very minimal.

As far as building a correct 79, their are resin grilles, hood and cowl out there. I am also building a 1:1 replica of my fathers 79 D-150 long box 2WD, and I got lucky enough a few years ago to score the old MPC Firefighter issue of this model, which has the correct hood, cowl and grille. The older MPC Pumping Iron kit also has these.

Issues I have with this kit that I dislike the most is the front valance and grille and the mounting. Every single one I have/am working on, has it. I like to start buy taping the hood down and then taping the grile on. Then I slightly sand the mounting points on the cab for the valance and then the ends of the front valance until I get a fit I like. Then I superglue on on and then add thin strips of sheet styrene and build it up over the fron valance and into the inner side of the fender. I am not sure on the thickness of my styrene as it is actually old plastic dealer plates! pretty thin and bendable and I have a endless free supply from work!

I usually do 2-3 layers till i get the desired thinkness. Really helps solidify the front valance and makes ample surface for the grill to mount to!

Wish I had some pics to show you!

Hopefully soon

i cant wait to see your build as well!!!!!!!

I love this body style of the Dodge pick-ups! My favorite hands down! My fathers has been in the family since 1983 and I can still remember the test drive in it when I was 5!

I finished the front filler panel/valance. Happy with the added bracing and gave the superglue 24 hours to dry so I sanded the backside of the panel until the hole/vents in it were opened up.

Found a old grille that I gut out the middle out of when I was a kid and decided to clean it up a lil bit and give it a try at a custom mesh or billet grille.

AS I was working on it, it occured to me that as the chrome was flaking off ot that the plastic was black not orange! :huh:

The reason this confused me is that I have never had a Warlock version on this kit. Only the LRE's and a couple RAM TUFF Monster trucks....so I am still wondering how it came into my possesion!

Hopin to get pics up this weekend! :D

Darrick,

Can't wait to see your progress! I did get the resin hood( a kind fellow modeler sent it to me). I believe it is Dencon(?) Resin that casts them. This is a full photo of the grille that is on my project truck(photo from the Internet).

79_dodge_powerwagon.gif

It differs from all of the kit and resin ones that I have seen. I attempted to use the middle of a kit one and blend the ends of a resin one. I am not happy with the results thus far... Bench time has been scarce lately. When I have a chance, I hope to get some work done on this project, and will start a separate thread.

• 3 weeks later...

No way to load my update pics yet. Hoping to get some uploaded soon though. Next trip over to my parents I will have to borrow the laptop! Man I NEED to get mine fixed!!!

Anyway I have had some progress with the LRE turned Power Wagon. Most notablly I finally found some tires that fit the build scheme better. Scale 37"!!!!! Off a Army toy from Dollar General. Now I can get to making the suspension!!!!!!

I had to tweek some stuff on the frame for the 440/727 combo to fit and to get the t-case (which I sourced from a So REal Diecast chevy truck) tucked up as nicely as it could. No more divorced t-case!!! I have thought about trying my hand a resin casting some of the parts I am collecting for this build as it would make future builds easier. We will see!

Going to be using the stock 4x4 axles from the "Firefighter" kit and not the spare set of Rockwells I had planned on using.

REMEMBER EVERYONE, THE TRUCK PICTURED IS NOT THE ONE THATS GETTING ALL THIS WORK DONE TO!!!

It's just the only pic i had of them to post at the time. That one is pretty much just getting a rebuild. If I can ever find anyting to strip the stubborn paint off it!

Anyway just wanted to throw a update out!

No pics yet, but I got the suspension done and the wheels mocked up under her! Scale 37's with about a scale 8" lift.

I am really happy with the rear but and a lil dissapointed with the front. I still might make my own leaf sprins for the front. I just modified the kits leaf springs to my liking. Time will tell if I want the font more realistic to what is found on a 1:1 truck.

Might be making a trip over to see the parents tonight, so maybe some progress pics!!!!!

So can't wait to see yor progress. I bought a resin bed with the war page .i bent it out but after I painted it the bed warped again. I traded a fellow modeler for a perfect one.I need to get some styrene for my frame so I can move on with it.

Edited by hotrod59f100

No pics yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am really hoping to get some up SOON!!!!!!!!

I fabbed up the front suspension last sunday during the Super Bowl. Got the height I wanted, but it just didn't look quite right to me. Not enough arch in the leaf springs and to "BLOCKED" up. So I started wittleing away at the So Real Checy diecast fron leafs until i got the right fit and look i was going for. I am VERY happy with the look now! front sits a tad higher than the back but all i need to do to solve that is just add a lil material to the rear shackels and get her leveled out. Hoping to get some shocks fabbed up and the start of the steering gear, pitman arm and the rest of the steering linkage. As well as a hydro assist.

Really hoping to get some pics posted tomorrow. I really would like some feedback from everyone on this. Kinda hard to do without pics! Sorry everyone!

Looking for a warn winch now ! grrr! lost the rolloer part this weekend so now fabbing up a front bumper is on the back burner and hoping that this setback doesn't curb this build for awhile!

Pics are coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I PROMISE!

Edited by wraith

Still no posted pics! But when I get a chance there will be pics!

I recieved my winch in the mail yesterday from mikemodeler! So soon I can restart fabbing up my front bumper!

the more i put into this the more I think about switching to a different powerplant. As of right now it is going to have a 440 in it with a scratch built fuel injection setup. But I keep thinking this thing need a new 5.7 HEMI in it. opinions?

I am still as of right now leaning toward the fuel injected 440. I already have the frame and engine bay modded for it and I am not sure i want to redo anything to drop the hemi in it.

I am also contemplating on cuting out the bucket seats from the interior tub and fitting some racing seats with 5 point harnesses. If this thing was real, it would need those to tackle the Rubicon trail! ;)

Trying to build this as I would a real truck.

• 2 weeks later...

finally a pic! crummy cell pic but a pic!

LREPowerWgaon.jpg

Scale 8" lift on scale 37's!

I cut out the scoop from the old MPC monster truck kit and filled it in along with the openings for the zoomies. added hood scoops from the 71 duster.

Since this crummy cell phone pic I have redone the front suspension, scratching up some more realistic arched leaf springs.

The front bumper is from a diecast Humer I have modified slightly to my liking.

she will have a fuel injected 440 backed up by a 727. T-case will be married and came from a SoReal chevy diecast I bought solely for the wheels and t-case. lol!

More done to her to get her to look like this than what you can see from the pic! Hopefully more soon!

Edited by wraith