Model Cars Magazine Forum

Custom/Show Truck

Some design progress on the body. I added some flat sides just in front of the rear wheels, then recreated the mold line.

1a4.jpg

Here is where I cut for the top. Rather than fitting two pieces at once and hoping they line up, I decided to glue the top at the rear only.

1a5.jpg

Next I'll slice the roof from side to side, then add some styrene and reattach the A pillars.

1a7.jpg

Edited by JAMES2

I'm sure you've seen it, but I think hamber Plowboy's Spacetruck should be tossed out here as reference. He pretty much nailed the proportion challenges. Maybe it'll give you some more to noodle around with while you're still in "what if i" mode.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12434&highlight=spacetruck&showall=1

Lunar Lander and Atomic Punk are a couple more of his big-car-body-turned-hot-rod-roadster/bubbletop builds. Worth a search if you aren't already familiar, especially if you're leaning towards topless. I will surely be attacking one kit or another with this in mind before too long. 62 'Bird and 58 Plymouth are the two I keep gravitating towards, but so many big butts out there with a lot of potential. :D

Thanks guys. I think I was to late to lean the posts back. But I have finished roughing the roof in. I Z'd the frame and have things lined up pretty well. I found some better wheel and tires for the rear and will get back to it after the 33 Willy's is wrapped up.

So as not to lose focus on the Show Truck, I made a few subtle changes to the body and worked up the suspension. Bagged rear axle from a Revell 32 and in what would call a "Roth" front end I built up some coil spring perches. I'm thinking about some form of torch arms also. Next I'll see if the Ardun heads are going to fit!

a11.jpg

th_a13.jpgth_a12.jpgth_a16.jpgth_a17.jpg

Edited by JAMES2

• 2 weeks later...

I've been working on the frame and this engine. TS-60 Pearl Green, Parts by Park pulleys, black tape for the belts, Stacks from FRW and some BMF. I wanted to try something different so I used these Webber carbs I had in the PB. Not sure how authentic, but I like the way it looks.

005.jpg

004.jpg

Thanks for looking.

​Another update. Chassis is done except for a battery , keep in mind the good side is down, I'm not concerned with things that won't be seen. Reshaping and adding to the body, trying to keep things flowing and lined up properly! Hope to start the interior next week some time.

1d3.jpg

1d4.jpg

1d2.jpg

1d1.jpg