69 Charger conversion

13 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

This is my first time posting a workbench project. This is the reissued 1/16 Dukes Charger. I am converting it to a NASCAR Daytona. Here is where I am at with the back glass.

1326760149.jpg

1326760151.jpg

1326760152.jpg

Posted · Report post

Are you going to use the conversion nose ? I've been thinking about doing the same but another 30 bucks..... :(

Posted · Report post

Yes, I am going to use the resin nose, wing and Holman Moody wheels. They are all offered by the same guy. Think it was like $38 shipped for all of it.

Posted · Report post

Very interesting project I will be watching closely, I am about 85% done with the same kit, albeit a non-nascar/tv version general lee. Good luck.

Posted · Report post

Small update. Got the lower section replaced to make the window slant for the Daytona. Still have putty and sanding to do for the transition to the trunk area.

3792db1f.jpg

1295a547.jpg

Posted · Report post

Ken do you have a pic of the actual car you are replicating, or at least the right type? Just curious...

Posted · Report post

Sorry, best I could do. It is this style of race car, but I am doing a neon green Daytona driven by Richard Brickhouse.

731d87df.jpg

Posted · Report post

Why does it say 429 C.I. on the hood? Didn't the Daytonas have 426's?

Posted · Report post

Nice pic, thanks. The reason I ask is the front wheel cutouts, but it looks like you don't have to change them. However, on my body, the passenger side wheel well was a bit smaller then the drivers and it made the tire look too far back, after I completed the front suspension. I noticed this prior to closing them up to a stock appearence. I rectified this by taking a small amount of material off from the back side of the wheel opening. Just used a coarse grit sand paper. Also the rear end housing is a bit too wide and will push the tires up against the inside of the rear wheel wells, unless you use the highest setting on the shackles. Hope this helps.

Posted · Report post

Yes, that does help, thanks for the heads up! I am going to modify the rear end a bit because I want to make better backing plates for the brake drums.

If my history is correct. Chrysler bored the hemi out to 429 ci because Ford was running the 429, by NASCAR rules then, the teams had to have the cubic inch of the engine on the hood.

Posted · Report post

Never knew they bored them out, also didn't know that the cubic inch logo was mandatory either.

Posted · Report post

Before I add more pics. Is there a way to have this thread moved to the Big Boyz section?

Ken

Posted · Report post

Any updates?