Model Cars Magazine Forum

was at michaels store today

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Both Michael's and AC Moore have 50% off on one item coupons in today's Sunday paper, good all week. AC Moore also has a 60% off coupon on one item, good today only (10/21).Ā  Both stores honor the other's coupons. These coupons are probably available online.Ā 

Haven't been in Michael's for a while now, but AC Moore has the price of "standard" Revell kits jacked up to $37.99.Ā :blink:Ā  They make even Hobby Lobby's Full Metal Retail look cheap by comparison (usually $29.99).Ā 

My Hobby Lobby has started pricing above $30 now. Too bad they don't honor the other's coupon also. AC Moore is going to price themselves out of the model market. Ā I asked why can't we view them on line and the employee said "because they are through a 3rd vendor"? Amy my Micheals has about three kits. The same ones that have been there for months.

On 10/21/2018 at 4:40 PM, ewetwo said:

My Hobby Lobby has started pricing above $30 now. Too bad they don't honor the other's coupon also.Ā 

Hobby Lobby has their 40% off coupon right on their website. It's always there.Ā  Bookmark it on your phone. All you need to do is show them your phone. If I go in the store and I don't see anything I want, I'll buy something small like a can of Testors flat black or dull cote.Ā  And yes I even use the coupon on that.

• 2 years later...

I walked down the model kits aisle at one of my local Michael's stores and was surprised to see a few kit marked down to a new, lower regular price. The Revell '84 Hurst/Olds Cutlass and '69 Cmaro Z/28-RS were both priced at $18. They had a minimal selection of twenty or so automotive kits, but I saw theĀ Revell Bronco, '68 Hemi Dart, '66 Mustang GT350H and '32 Ford 3-window, and theĀ MPCĀ Dodge pickup.

I checked my local Michaelā€™s last week... models are in the ā€œChildrenā€™s Craftsā€ section and itā€™s shrunk down to nothing. Ā Their Testors paint rack is half empty, and for some odd reason is a locked case. I remember spending a half hour trying to get someone to open the case. Finally anĀ employee showed up, obviously annoyed to have to help me. I picked out two cans of paint and she wouldnā€™t let me touch them! She brought to front of store and handed off to cashier like I was going to steal them! Ā I wrote off the store at that point!

6 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

I remember spending a half hour trying to get someone to open the case. Finally anĀ employee showed up, obviously annoyed to have to help me. I picked out two cans of paint and she wouldnā€™t let me touch them! She brought to front of store and handed off to cashier like I was going to steal them! Ā I wrote off the store at that point!

A lot of stores have to do that with their paint. And yes, they do have a problem with paint theft!

Blame the taggers for that - not the store.

45 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

A lot of stores have to do that with their paint. And yes, they do have a problem with paint theft!

Blame the taggers for that - not the store.

Around here at least, I think they have more issues with people randomly spraying the paint on their shelves and such. The HLs here do the same thing which is why I won't buy any of their crummy assortment of Testors paint. Very little of it interests me anyway, and the local Michaels stores only carry the enamels that we have all used a hundred times when we were kids.

3 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Last time I checked Michael's only had "20% off entire purchase" coupons.

20% off an $18 model is $3.60, so for about $16 you could walk out with a model, not bad. And if the Michael's store will take the HL 40% off, you're talking about a kit for $12!

• 1 month later...

Last time I checked my local Michaelā€™s it had that much shelf space, with half the kits! Ā Heck I have more kits on my unfinished project shelves over my workbench! Ā And the fact they call them ā€œChildrenā€™s Craftsā€.Ā 

I donā€™t know anything current, but last I read Michaelā€™s was bankrupt and circling the bowl. So bad that someone in their distribution center said they were moving goods by hand because they couldnā€™t afford to replace dead batteries in the fork lifts!

43 minutes ago, Joe Handley said:

That looks a lot like the Michaelā€™s stores here, pre pandemic, havenā€™t been in any of them......probably at all in 2020 either.

They keep getting new kits in. Saw the Dodge D-series pickup and Coca-Cola Ford Van, there, too.

When I was a kid starting out, I shopped at place which didn't have every available model for purchase, and I seemed to have pulled through just fine. While we are spoiled to have eBay and the internet at out fingertips, having a smaller selection of kits to chose from at a retail location doesn't doom the hobby.Ā 

4 hours ago, Casey said:

When I was a kid starting out, I shopped at place which didn't have every available model for purchase, and I seemed to have pulled through just fine.

Those were the days! Running around town to see what each of the many stores that sold models had onĀ the shelf! And seeing models we never saw before, so exciting!

We are too hobby smart today.. no more wonderful discoveries, we know it all! Ā Kinda takes the fun out of it!Ā 

Edited by Tom Geiger

3 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Those were the days! Running around town to see what each of the many stores that sold models had onĀ the shelf! And seeing models we never saw before, so exciting!

We are too hobby smart today.. no more wonderful discoveries, we know it all! Ā Kinda takes the fun out of it!Ā 

Mostly, yes, but there are still places likeĀ that...

94946933_PXL_20210204_2049454662.thumb.jpg.f16291f1d3d813284303a319b7e18ae9.jpg

Edited by Casey

Happy Hobby is still in business? Geez, that place looked like it was on it's way out 20 years ago when I last was in one, are they still on the west side of Milwaukee?

Ā 

They always jacked up the price of an OOP model the day before it was announced as being OOP!

Ā 

Ā